RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sent a rifle to JES today

Sorry for the delay reporting on this new to me rifle. The missus and I lost about three weeks, maybe a bit more, because of Covid. Feeling better and have been going back to my part-time job at Ace Harware.

The .358 Wincheter Remington 660 is on hold because of sighting equipment. At first I thought I'd just mount a low power scope on it . The rifle does not have iron sights. When it was a .308 I set it up as a Scout Rifle. So the mounting holes are still in the barrel. I used a sight base from a Ruger #1 and a Burris 2 3/4x EER scope. But I used the Ruger base on my #3 Ruger in .375 JDJ. So yesterdaay I phoned Ruger and ordered another #1 base and a pair of rings.

The 660 rifle is unhandy with a scope mounted directly over the action. Bases for doing that are one-piece and they make it hard to load the magazine. Moving the scope forward of the receiver fixes that.

So I am waiting for Ruger to send the parts I ordered. I still have the Burris EER scope because the other rifle, the Number 3, uses a scope with conventional eye relief.

When it is finished I will post a pic or two.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    When I had a Savage 99 in 358, I found it liked Hornady 200gr spire points over H322. Three shots under an inch. Any shots over that would open the group real quickly. Shoot 3 let barrel cool and things were good. Shoot more than three and POI would move 5 inches, left, right, wherever.

Checked my email this morning and found one from FEDEX saying my order from Ruger is supposed to be delivered today. I will be working Thursday, Friday, and Saturday so it will be next week before I take the rifle to the range. Looking forward to it.

Jim

Took the rifle out yesterday after mounting the Scout Scope and bore sighting it. I took two loads with me - both with the Lee 200 grain gas check and Carnauba lube. First load was 31.0 grains of VV 120. Second was 31.0 grains of H 4198. Both powders are about the same burn rate according to my powder burning rate scale.

It took a couple of shots to get the group centerd. After that it appears the both loads shoot to the same point of aim. In my limited test the 4198 loads seemed a bit more accyrate. More testing.

I was shooting off the tailgate of my pickup. The position was not too stable and I found out the little gun kicks. Bad posture, I think. No velocity readings yet.

Jim

Here are a couple of oobsevations about JES' work:

When I got the barreled action back from him he said he had test fired it with Hornady ammunition. I figured he hadn't cleaned it afterwards so I did. I don't know how many rounds he tested it with. I never expected more than one for function testing. So I ran a cotton patch soaked with Hoppe's #9 through it. It came out green and was hard to push through. I used the same setup I use for my other .35 caliber rifles. Never had the wet patch be hard to push before. Then a brass brush soaked in Hoppe's. Back and forth a couple of times after which another cotton patch. This one was hard to push as well and came out green again. A couple more dry patches and one with a drop or so of oil. Still some green.

Later I tried some cast boolits in it. Cleaning showed no green this time but a lot of black. Took some scrubbing. Still feel resistance on the patch.

This all makes me feel like JES doesn't polish the bore very much after rifling. We used to have a reboring guy in this county - Jim DuBiel of Delta Gun Works. He's dead now but I well remember him hand lapping his reboring jobs. He charged more than JES as well. At least a hundred dollars more.

Mebbe the bore in this rifle will smooth out.

Jim

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    For 358 loads , a 98' with a 1-14" 24" barrel , the 358-200 RNFP Lee was good and I expect the other variations are too . Off the books out in the weeds ,10% off full to the neck with I4350 gave me 2100 fps.with a 35-250 checked . Just WCWW , nothing special the tossed GC opened the group from .900 to most of 2" .
    Its real docile in a 8# Fajin stocked 98' wearing a K4 Weaver .

I had considered pushing it harder but the 250 was in the middle of jacketed speeds already so there wasn't much point in that .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    JES does excellent work. A while back I picked up a ridden hard put away wet Glenfield Model 30A in .30-30. Had the barrel cut down along with the magazine tube and had him rebore it to .375 Winchester. It will also shoot .38-55 short brass. A good friend of mine who is on this forum worked up a load using a Ranch Dog mold. Load for this 238 grain GC (sized .377") with 29.0 grains of 3031.

Boolit Master
    Try some JB bore paste on that barrel. Won't take too long if you use it after every outing . I used to break in my barrels in With it. Could notice the patches pushing easier pretty quickly.

Boolit Master
    Been watching for a used lever 30-30 to convert. They used to be common and cheap until folks started figuring out they were the original assault rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Try some JB bore paste on that barrel. Won't take too long if you use it after every outing . I used to break in my barrels in With it. Could notice the patches pushing easier pretty quickly.
    Thanks. I will. I still want to shoot this thing but winter is here and it's not nice at the outdoor range. Good idea, anyway.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123