WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good bullet for deer with a .357 mag.

Boolit Grand Master

That depends what alloy you casted them with. If you used 20:1, or that 50/50+2%, or similar, then yes, the shallow hollow point (big cup point) will expand some, and likely pass through. I have no idea what the penta point will do. The big hollow point will probably really flatten out more than you want, that looks like a really big hollow point. Probably very good in 38 special.

13.5 gr should be a good starting point with H110, 16 gr should be a good max, and I really doubt you will get sticky extraction. I've run over that myself. No need to worry about speeds, just use what is most accurate in that range. I seem to recall 15 grains shooting very good with another bullet.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    So today after a long day I came home pleasantly surprised that the hammer mold came in early. Also when I opened it up it has all the sizes of hollowpoint pin and an additional set of what I think is penta points which I never used before. They are in the middle between the deep hp and the medium one.

I made some up today in penta, deep hp, and the cup point. Powdercoated 1 coat,sized and loaded some up with starting loads.

Does anyone think the cup point will expand some and possibly still pass through on deer?

I think the max load il use with 165grn bullet is around
    16 grains of h110 if the accuracy is there and if the cases dont get too sticky in the cylinder. That should push it to between 1200-1300ish fps I think

Lymans most accurate load for 170grn bullets is 14-15 grains of h110 so I hope it will work well.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk
    The bullet on the left looks like a flying ashtray. It looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonian09 View Post
    So today after a long day I came home pleasantly surprised that the hammer mold came in early. Also when I opened it up it has all the sizes of hollowpoint pin and an additional set of what I think is penta points which I never used before. They are in the middle between the deep hp and the medium one.

I made some up today in penta, deep hp, and the cup point. Powdercoated 1 coat,sized and loaded some up with starting loads.

Does anyone think the cup point will expand some and possibly still pass through on deer?

I think the max load il use with 165grn bullet is around
    16 grains of h110 if the accuracy is there and if the cases dont get too sticky in the cylinder. That should push it to between 1200-1300ish fps I think

Lymans most accurate load for 170grn bullets is 14-15 grains of h110 so I hope it will work well.

Cup and deep HP on a .359 Hammer

Boolit Buddy
    Gamsek thankyou for the pictures!

Gives me a good idea about what to expect from these bullets.

I think il probably use the cup point for deer and if it gets a clean pass through no problem I might try the smaller hp pin.

Those large HP look gnarly I'd hate to get hit with one of those at any velocity. But I'm not sure that would pass thru deer or not yet

Boolit Buddy
    I like a bullet to stop just under the skin on the far side of a deer. That way, the deer absorbs 100% of the energy in the bullet, with maximum tissue trauma. Never had a deer take even one step after that (probably 30+ deer).

Every deer I've ever shot where the bullet went through the deer (probably 6 or 8 deer), the deer ran.

People talk about pass-throughs making better blood trails, but if the deer is DRT, no need for a blood trail. YMMV.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    Cup and deep HP on a .359 Hammer
    What alloy, and what speed?

Your pictures make the large HP look much smaller than johnsonian09's. I'm guessing it is just the camera flash, or bullet color. I'd use either one on a deer with no problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
    I like a bullet to stop just under the skin on the far side of a deer. That way, the deer absorbs 100% of the energy in the bullet, with maximum tissue trauma. Never had a deer take even one step after that (probably 30+ deer).

Every deer I've ever shot where the bullet went through the deer (probably 6 or 8 deer), the deer ran.

People talk about pass-throughs making better blood trails, but if the deer is DRT, no need for a blood trail. YMMV.
    If you hunt long enough, especially with lower power rounds, like pistols and revolvers, sooner or later one will run. That said, if I had to choose between a bullet caught by the far side skin but destruction of the lungs, or a pass through but only a finger size hole, I'll take the expanding bullet every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    What alloy, and what speed?

Your pictures make the large HP look much smaller than johnsonian09's. I'm guessing it is just the camera flash, or bullet color. I'd use either one on a deer with no problem.
    25:1 alloy, 925fps.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    25:1 alloy, 925fps.
    Ok, so a hot 38 special. I wonder if that cup point wouldn't work like lightning at a 1300+ fps magnum loading. I've only ever shot my Keith cup points into wood, so I hate to post pictures of them as anything other than what they were. Fun shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    Possibly? I just ordered 1k+ of once fired.
    PM me if you want to talk in detail

Boolit Buddy
    10yards not far but a start. This was using the cup point 170grn

Boolit Grand Master

You'll definitely want to move way back. You would be surprised how many loads that shoot great at even 25 yards, start turning very sour by 50 yards. I do all my open sight handgun load workup at 50 yards. You will also want to shoot 6 shot groups (or whatever your cylinder holds). Unless you always fire your first shot on the same hole in the cylinder, that is a variable I take into account. Sometimes you can get a revolver with an outright dud of a cylinder, so it's something to keep in mind.

Boolit Buddy
    The pistol range here only goes back 20 yards unfortunately.

I did not think of some cylinders negatively affecting shots, thanks for that bit.

At this close I would hope to be tighter. Group wise but it could be me aswell.
    Maybe figure out a little simple rest to bring to the range to take the human out of the test shot.

Recoil on the 357magnum is pretty stout but manageable. Really enjoyed shooting some 38special I made up for Haha's and getting used to the revolver

NOE 180 WFN will let the air out of a whitetail , no bones or ribs and still left a couple chunks of lung in the leaves behind the deer where it stood

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Grand Master

Definitely don't push yourself too hard on recoil. It's not so easy to undo a flinch. You will have to figure out what target works best for you. I can't shoot anything with color, even though I'm not color blind. I need a solid black against a light background. I even find brown/tan works better as a background sometimes than a pure white. The NRA bullseye targets are ok. They work better with a 6 o'clock hold. I personally like an upside down T, made out of black duct tape, usually on a brown paper background. That gives me the most crystal clear picture that I have found, and my groups reflect that.

Back to the flinch thing, consistent grip is a big part of a hunting handgun. I find if I've pushed too far on recoil, I'll begin tensing before a shot. This is no good. You need a consistent firmness 2 hand grip every shot. There's a whole art to sand bagging a revolver. Some days I still can't get comfortable on sandbags, and what I like is to set my wrists on the sandbag, leaving the gun unsupported. This is also how I sight in, since this is the exact hold I use when hunting. Wrists rested on something.

Attachment 288336 I don't hunt deer with a 357 but I have loaded these Cast Performance 180 gr LBT boolits for a friend and he tells me they hit hogs like cloud to ground lightning! My 686 loves them, especially at longer ranges. Good luck with yours. I don't know where you will be hunting but if it is heavily wooded or has a lot of underbrush, a complete pass through will be VERY beneficial.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

murf205, I've got some bullets that look a lot like yours. They are GC and weigh 193 gr. I've shot some with 13.5 gr. 2400, and they shoot good. No extraction problems. Never hunted with them but, need to try them out sometime.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    murf205, I've got some bullets that look a lot like yours. They are GC and weigh 193 gr. I've shot some with 13.5 gr. 2400, and they shoot good. No extraction problems. Never hunted with them but, need to try them out sometime.
    If your gun is similar to my 6" 686, I get 1297 average of 5 shots with that load and the 180 gr GC Cast Perf boolit, CCI std primer. My most accurate 180 gr load by a slight amount is 13.5 grs of H110 and the same 180 gr booilit with a W-W mag pistol primer for 1270 fps average. I also have an Accurate 358160H 160 gr mold and 13.6 grs of 2400 does 1287fps with no pressure signs at all. It is super accurate and if you notice the speeds of all these loads, you can see how I can use any of these without making any sight adjustments to the 2x scope on the gun.
    johnsonian09, I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect velocity wise.Attachment 288377
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I've shot them out of a 6" Security Six. I've not tried them over my chrono yet. But, they did shoot good. I used CCI 500's and may try 550's, just to see if there's any difference. Standard primers will sometimes have large velocity variations with slower powders, compared to Magnums.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

DEFINITELY use Mag primers with H110/296. It wont hurt to use them with 2400 but I have had some bad experiences with H110 and std primers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast