WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good bullet for deer with a .357 mag.

Boolit Buddy

Good bullet for deer with a .357 mag.

Hello, they opened up handgun hunting for private land here a 2 or 3 years ago.

Finally got my hands on a .357mag.

Revolvers are really hard to come by around here. And the ammo is even harder.
    Local shop here was charging $55 w/out tax for 5, 12 gauge slugs. $49 for a box of 9mm. ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm not really a revolver guy. So what's a good bullet for deer out of a 6 inch revolver? I looked on noe and they have everything from 84 grains to 190.

At what speed should I start thinking about gas checks or would that not really be a problem with pistol/revolver cartridges?

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Gas checks will never hurt you, so that's up to you. I don't think it is a speed problem in 357 magnum, if you are really looking to push them hard, a gas check can only help. I shoot plain base.

NOE 360-176-SWC cast of 20:1 alloy with the shallow hollow point pin. I like 10 gr of Bluedot for about 1225-1250 fps. This is my hunting load. H110 is also a usual good shooter. Most everyone likes 2400 as well.

I would look at a MP .359 hammer173 grain 4 cavity with hp pins. I don't care for gas checks but others like them. Size to fit and leading should not be an issue. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. Then practice with your gun. Then practice some more.

Don't just shoot paper. Get the gun zeroed then shoot at small targets (soda can or smaller) at the maximum distance you will get shots in your area. You will build confidence and any closer shots will be easy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a noe 84grn hp meant for 38 special that I've been using for my airgun slugs.

I plan to use it as a good fun plinking/ practice round while I work up a deer load. As I already have a bunch powder coated already

I use h110 for 300blk supers so that will probably be my preferred powder for hunting loads in the revolver

Farthest I can see around here is 50 yards or so. Probably shoot inside 30 with this tho. I think I'm just going to use a red dot with it not a scope. I tried a friend's blackhawk with a scope and the shaking thru me off. I was better with irons then the scope

Boolit Grand Master
    johnsonian09 ~ Check out the LASC site for an author by the name of Glenn Fryxell. He wrote an article about (and titled) "A Bullet For All Seasons". I just can't remember the bullet mold number off the top of my head. Anyway, I use that bullet and have good success with it. Deep penetrator. Lays pigs out flat.

I just put up the LASC site and found the bullet mold number ~ .358627. It's a handful. Good luck.

Honestly....the simplest is a 158 grain XTP pushed a good charge of H110.

Quote Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
    Blasphemy

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Blasphemy

Weeeell, in the title, the man did say bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Blasphemy

Please tell me why?

chuck40219
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by chuck40219 View Post
    Please tell me why?

chuck40219
    Why does this site exist? Also the "Blasphemy" should have been in purple font.

Boolit Buddy
    The site is for CAST BooLITs

Lol I load my fare share of factory ones but cast bullets are more satisfying. I'm sure all the hornandy and barnes and so on are fine to use but it makes me happy to manufacture as much as I can

Even make my own primers occasionally, blackpowders for the cap and ball and muzzleloader. Display case for the gun, etc.

Also a bit of interesting history: in bible times the Jews used slings to throw stones, and sometimes lead balls. And were said to be more accurate then archers. The stones and balls were both called bullets. And yet the arrows wrapped in leather and shot out of arquebus [precursor to matchlocks and such] are also bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Why does this site exist? Also the "Blasphemy" should have been in purple font.

OK I get it now, was not thinking straight. I was wondering if something was wrong with them. I shoot the home cast Lee 158gr round flat point in all my 357's. 3 of them, have only shot 2 deer with them though. sold the 44 mag and still use the 50 cal ML (flintlock and caplock.

chuck40219
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot the old NEI 200gr TC Sillywett boolit out of my 1894C and don't know how well it does on deer, BUT it is death and destruction on hogs, feral sheep and goats!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't like scopes on handguns either. A fixed 2x isn't too bad, but is definitely better from a rest. A 4x or stronger is quite awful unless you are shooting off of a bench. I use sights myself, but a little reflex sight is quite the handy and easy to use thing on a revolver. Get one with a smaller MOA dot, and they can be every bit as accurate to shoot as a 2x scope.

Moderator Emeritus

NOE 160 WFN or 180 WFN will do the job.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

At inside of 50 yards, you really do not need to over-think this. Any good solid with a meplat @ 70-75% of full diameter delivered to the right place will do the job. 140 to 180 grains would be my preferred operating range. Maximum speeds not required.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    The WFN style, Keith SWC and Thompson bullet will work fine at reasonable ranges, mostly limited by your abilities. A good flat nose and velocity will get the job done.

You didn't mention the firearm to be used, or barrel length. It may make a difference and some here could add their experiences if that's known.

Boolit Master
    This
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, that is a good solution if you don't cast.

Me, since I do cast bullets? I've found over many years the 358156 cast of 16-1 alloy, GC'd and driven to 1400 fps out of a 6" barreled revolver. H110, 2400 and 296 will get you there with top end SAAMI spec loads. I usually HP the bullets used for hunting 3/16the deep with a Forster 1/8" HP tool. Bullets weight 160 gr fully dressed and give excellent terminal performance with expansion and all the penetration (thru and thru) needed on deer.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    With the time you’ve got I would just ignore the bias against J-words and go jacketed for now. You have a new to you Gun and a season in mere weeks I suspect.

You can play with cast in the meantime and you might pull it all off but do not hold your breath.

I would not throw ultra light weight chunks of lead at a game animal and risk losing it either.

Hope your hunt goes well and you ultimately find and can acquire a mold suitable for your task in due time.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”