RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication PBcastco

Thread: 10-22 Mags

Boolit Master

10-22 Mags

I have 3 of the Ruger 10 round mags. All are about 30 years old and two of them are beginning to give me feeding problems. Is there a way to disassemble and clean them or is it time to pitch them and get new ones?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Thanks for the link pietro, I was going to be looking for that info myself.

Boolit Master

Yeah, you know I never think to look there. With the knowledge on this board it is usually my first go to. Thank you for the link. Hopefully with a good cleaning they will be good for another 30 years.

Boolit Master

Never had a video for it , have been taking them apart since the early 80's , easy to do . I did glance at video and it seemed good , rewind it correctly and I have never had a issue , I got rid of the 30 round mags I had back during clintons assault ban , gave them to a guy that wanted them , was a mistake as he got older he has become a liberal .

I have taken apart hundreds of m-16 20 round military mags , some marked bad , and all only needed taken apart and a good scrubbing and put back together , same with all magazines clean and replace springs as needed .

1 and 1/4 turns is a good place to start.

If the bullet nose sits proud/hits high back the tension off 1 point on the nut.
    If the bullet nose sits low/hits the bottom of the bbl put more tension on the nut (1 point & re-test).

It's kind of important to get the timing of the mags correct, it has a huge affect on accuracy. This is not my picture, another member on this website posted it. This is what happens when the mag timing is off or the bolt has had a bubba job done on it & can't hold the rounds in proper alignment anymore.
    [IMG][/IMG]

What you're looking at is shaved lead pieces from the bullets nose being scraped along with piles of bullet lube from the match bullets being scraped off at the same time.

Banned

They can be disassembled and cleaned…………Google it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Even with all the evidence and testimonials, I never had good luck cleaning a Ruger 10-22 mag. Back in the early years of this century, I was stationed in Fallon, NV. High desert, fine dust. Not a good combination for someone that was accustomed to dropping empty mags on the ground.

Youtube wasn't around then, maybe I missed something in all the write ups I saw; but I don't think so. I never did manage to get a magazine back to 100% reliable.

On the plus side, stock Ruger ten round magazines were cheap; and I guess they still may be, if you can find them these days.

Robert

Bought my 10-22 in the early 70's. Have cleaned mags at least 3 times now.

A little fingernail polish remover on a q-tip does a great job of removing wax build up.

They can be a little tricky to get back just right. Having the right size allen wrench helps.
    That and having one you have not taken apart yet to compare follower tension as your putting it back together also helps.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!