Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Good way to destroy brass.

Good way to destroy brass.

Friday night I was cleaning a revolver and knocked over my bottle of Montana X-treme bore solvent (great product, by the way). It spilled on my work bench and got on some tools, flashlight and one of my reloading manuals. I quickly sopped it up and got back to work on the revolver. What I didn't realize was that some solvent had also splashed into a pie pan that had a small batch of brass in it. The next day when I went back out to the garage, the odor of the solvent was still pretty strong. It was then that I noticed my pie pan of .30 carbine brass (sized, primed and ready to go) had a pool of pretty turquoise blue liquid in the bottom. The brass had been sitting in the solvent for about 24 hours and it had been working its magic on my brass. It's going in the recycle bin as I'm not willing to push my luck on how much damage the solvent did to the integrity of the brass. It was only about 50 pieces, so not a big loss. Honestly, the solvent I spilled was probably more expensive than the brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting. It sounds like Montana X-treme is a pretty good bore cleaner...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Interesting. It sounds like Montana X-treme is a pretty good bore cleaner...
    It sounds like it has a lot of ammonia in it which removes copper fouling pretty well. It will also remove bluing if held in contact with a barrel very long. I can prove it!

Boolit Grand Master

Remember that when you stick a case in your die. an over night soak may loosen it up LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Remember that when you stick a case in your die. an over night soak may loosen it up LOL
    Interesting thought. Just dissolve the offending case!