MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TC Renegade/Hawken Replacement Barrels

TC Renegade/Hawken Replacement Barrels

Hello everyone. I am currently trying to find a source for a Green Mountain replacement barrel for my 1970's TC Renegade. Track of the wolf is out of stock, but I know there are other vendors out there but I just don't recall who they are. The original factory barrel has never shot satisfactory for me. A new barrel is a lot cheaper than a brand new custom build Hawken with the proper twist, which about 1:28 is what I'm after.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    flea bay
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

They come up from time to time on the American Long Rifles forum. Used is probably your best bet, or you could contact Robert Hoyt and have him rebore a barrel for you.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    flea bay
    That was a consideration, was just hoping to get a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    They come up from time to time on the American Long Rifles forum. Used is probably your best bet, or you could contact Robert Hoyt and have him rebore a barrel for you.
    Thought about this as well. I don't know... it sure does seem like new rifle time anyways.

Boolit Master
    So far.
    All the barrels Hoyt has done for me are great.
    I had one bored and re- rifled to a larger caliber.
    And two others bored and lined back to their original caliber.
    But I did go with a RB twist on all three.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    So far.
    All the barrels Hoyt has done for me are great.
    I had one bored and re- rifled to a larger caliber.
    And two others bored and lined back to their original caliber.
    But I did go with a RB twist on all three.
    Do you know how to get a hold of Mr. Hoyt?

I just put in for a Kiblers Colonial Rifle kit, but I'm still going to get this old TC Renegade shooting right. It's too neat of a gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter View Post
    Hello everyone. I am currently trying to find a source for a Green Mountain replacement barrel for my 1970's TC Renegade. Track of the wolf is out of stock, but I know there are other vendors out there but I just don't recall who they are. The original factory barrel has never shot satisfactory for me. A new barrel is a lot cheaper than a brand new custom build Hawken with the proper twist, which about 1:28 is what I'm after.

Thanks.
    Want the best ?, call Jason @ Rice barrel makes a drop in custom twist /not cheap $500.00 but you get what you want/need/dream of /Ed

Boolit Master
    There is a post in the muzzleloader thread that gives Hoyts number and I think address.
    I think it asked for name and number and I think it is page 2 of the muzzleloader thread

Here is Hoyt's address & phone number
    Robert A. Hoyt
    700 Fairfield Station Road
    Fairfield, PA 17320
    (717) 642-6696 Tel.

Also check out this link
    http://www.therifleshoppe.com/contact.htm
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

A liner by Bob Hoyt as suggested is the only economical way I am aware of. I've never had one done by him, but everyone likes him. I forget the price quoted last year, but it was very reasonable.

For a drop in barrel, the prices good TC and Green Mountain barrels are going for is ludicrous. It would make sense to buy from TOTW at nearly $300, but they have not been in stock in a couple years at least. Instead, it's far easier to assemble one. TOTW has all the parts, breech plugs, underlug rail, ramrod pipes, sights, etc. They will even do the machine work for you. I seem to recall I could get a ready made, in-the-white, barrel for something like $375, about what the used Green Mountains are going for on fleabay and gunbroker. All you have to do is find a 15/16" straight octagon barrel in the caliber and twist you want. A 50 cal 1:28" should be easy enough to find. Rice lists "fast twist" 15/16" barrels in 45 and 50 caliber, but doesn't list what the exact twist is.

Boolit Master

I have two new T/C Hawken barrels in 50 cal, 15/16" across the flats. Problem is one has a flint breach and the other is an Italian replacement with a left hand breach plug. Both have sights, under rib and thimbles. will sell one or both.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr. Hoyt has done a couple of rebores for me and one reline. I'd go back to him in a NY minute. Nice guy.

Boolit Master
    My understanding is that Green Mountain has long since discontinued production of their drop-in replacement barrels for the TC muzzleloaders, because there is simply no demand for them. These days when you say 'muzzleloader,' everyone assumes that you mean a synthetic stocked, inline scoped rifle in .50 (only), shooting a saboted jacketed bullet with pellets of a BP substitute for the propellant. I've long since adopted the term 'traditional side-lock muzzleloader' when referring to my guns.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    "Traditional side-lock muzzleloader"---Sounds real good to me! Thanks!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Buddy

Ask the local gunsmiths if they will rebore the existing barrel.

I bought a new TC barrel right before they stopped making them. Poor thing would never group no matter what I tried. I sent it off to be re-bored by Mr Hoyt. Now its a tack driver! Worth every penny.

Boolit Master

I bought a Green Mountain barrel for my T/C Hawken 32" long, 66 twist this past spring, I think, from Track so they were making them then. I paid around $250 seems like.

This thread is making me pretty sad. I pulled my old TC Hawkin out the other day and the barrel has rusted pretty badly for about two or three inches from the muzzle back. I cleaned with soapy water, dried, and oiled before storage -- am at a loss at to why this happened. I guess I went way too long before maintenance.

Anyhow, I've always wanted to get a fifty or larger barrel for it, but now I find that they're no longer made?? jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    As stated in case you missed it CALL Bob Hoyt and your wish will come true/Ed

Boolit Buddy
    I may have a .50 or .45 Green Mountain fast twist barrel I could sell. I know I have a stock .50 Renegade barrel in excellent condition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast