Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Advice on 25-35 barrel specs.

Advice on 25-35 barrel specs.

G'day folks.
    I'm hoping the learned folks will be able to provide me with some barrel specs for a planned build.
    I'm a Martini Cadet tragic, love them. Have several in various cals and have another action waiting in the wings.
    I'm also a 25cal tragic & have been agonising over choosing between having the action built up in either 256WinMag or 25-35Win. As things have a tendency to do, fate has steered my decision when a set of 25-35 dies with two form dies ended up in the post headed my way.
    So my question to the learned is:
    The rifle will only be used for cast powder coated projectiles in the 95-110gn range. What barrel length & twist rate should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance folks.

Mine is a Martini Cadet with a 22" barrel 1:10 twist in which I use a 100gn Cast boolit!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

orginal 25-35 was 1 in 8 twist and 26 inch barrel and 117 round nose bullet and yes that twist handles lead bullets
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    I found an 8” twist barrel that I fitted to a FBW Single-Shot action and chambered in .25-35, and later had an outfit line a Savage .30-30 barrel with a 10” twist .25 liner and chamber it to .25-35.

The FBW is very finicky about loadings with cast boolits, although it handles the 117-gr Hornady jacketed roundnoses very well. The Savage shoots anything jacketed from 86 gr up to 117 gr and is accurate with a lot of reduced velocity cast boolit loadings.

If I were you, I’d get the 10” twist. It’s much more versatile than either the 8” or the 14”.

As to barrel length, whatever you think makes the gun look coolest .

I would go with 1- 10” twist also. Jedman

Boolit Master

If I were to make a new barrel for 25-35 winchester I would most likely use a 1 in 10 twist for two reasons 1 easier to find a .25 caliber barrel and really the 1 in 8 serves no real value today.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I would prefer the faster twist, which allows for a heavier bullet, but will still shoot the lighter bullets just fine. Especially since you're planning to go with cast bullets. I own and shoot an original 1893 Marlin in the Marlin version, .25-36 Marlin, which is almost identical. My mold is an NOE 115 gr. and it's a 26" barrel. I've shot it out to 500 yds., and unless it gets windy it's very accurate with this weight bullet. The Marlins used a 1:9" twist, which mine is.
    If you're going to use iron sights, and mostly use this for range work, not packing it around hunting, I'd prefer a 26"-28" barrel for the longer sighting radius advantage it gives.

I'll jump on the ten twist boat as well, based on what my 25-06 did with Red Dot and Lyman 90 gr GCFN- it did well. I'd love to have a light Martini in 25-35 for still hunting.
    For when the .250 Savage is too much

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Cheers folks.
    Looks like the 1:10 twist wins. I'll work on about 24" long and thinking I might just have to choose an octagonal barrel, straight profile.