RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingPBcastcoWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: A new magazine!

A new magazine!

I recently purchased a steel replacement 5 shot magazine from John Reed for my old Remington 581.
    This gun has deserved a good magazine all its life - and it finally has one! My first group at 40yds was 1/2" with Remington Golden Bullet LR hp. My 4x crystal clear. scope came from a Glenfield 30-30 and I'm glad that I've kept it( the scope). I then went 4 and a nick on bottle caps. Fun indeed.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 08-23-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on the new magazine, and that looks like some good shooting and a lot of fun.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Grand Master
    Model 581's are the plain sister of the Model 541.

That whole series of Remington rifles are usually pretty accurate.

Robert

I still have my 581 my dad bought for me New when I was 12. That would be almost 53 years ago. Do you have contact info for Mr. Reed and that magazine.

Great shootin', Tex. Love those bottle caps!

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I still have my 581 my dad bought for me New when I was 12. That would be almost 53 years ago. Do you have contact info for Mr. Reed and that magazine.
    Shawlerbrook- they are great rifles- the baby 788! Mine has obviously been modified a bit...
    I put up with patching the original plastic magazine that worked so-so sometimes; (but much better than the ten round ones)-since 1988 when my wife bought the rifle for my first married birthday. This steel one wasn't cheap, but good equipment usually isn't.
    And it feeds Shorts as well as Long Rifle.
    John Reed's web address is jreedtn@gmail.com and postal address is
    1361 Warrior Path
    Maryville, Tennessee 37803

Thanks, DG! My wibbles compensated for my wobbles apparently. The crosshairs cover the caps completely and the "788 trigger"(crisp but 6 lbs) will show you a flier if you let it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Those triggers can be worked on to make a decent trigger pull. Just how, I don't know, but it can be done.

The 581 I bought for my nephew had been worked over and cut down to boy's rifle size by a Catholic Priest near San Diego. It wasn't a fluke either, I also bought a 788 in .222 Remington that he had done. Wish I still had that rifle.

Robert

The Remington 540/580 series rifles have the fastest lock time of any rimfire line they put out. These rifles are excellent for offhand shooting. A pair of 541-s rifles that I owned with extra 5 round mags.
    [IMG][/IMG]

IMHO:
    This series of rifle's was the last of the "great" affordable rifles that remington put out.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 541T, and have always felt a magazine like that is what Remington should have made. even my Marlins came with decent steel mags. how much more could it have cost.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    There used to be guy on E-bay called erniethegunsmith who sold replacement trigger springs for the 541/581/788 series rifles that were reduced power an really improved the trigger.

I also bought one of those John Reed metal magazines for a 581 that I gifted to a grandson years ago. Those magazines are built to last.

I like the "suigie" (pardon my spelling)……………..anyway: the blow torch treatment of the stock. That stock has character.

Thanks for the kind words, oldhenry. My oldest daughter was around 10 years old and helped me reshape, sand, and watched me flame stripe this one and the JC Higgins bolt action .22( Marlin) that I customized for her. Back when she was easy to get along with haha! A smaller tip torch would be better, but we used what we had. So farmer....
    I'm not sure about this, but I think the Suigi finish is when flame is held close enough to highlight the grain without leaving stripes. It can improve the looks of birch stocks for sure if you're not into "walnut stained hardwood".

Boolit Master
    Wow
    Ohh wow.
    A 5 shot steel magazine.
    I have never seen one.
    I have a left handed 581 I’ve only had for 40 years and have put up with the ten shot plastic ones that are a pain to carry your rifle and shoot with.

Have you any more pics of it?
    Maybe I can get sent one from over the pond.

Easy way to lighten trigger is to take out and replace the springs with ones from a pen and I think maybe a bic lighter.
    Been a few years.
    You can put a little shim under the trigger on the opposite end of the screw that holds the trigger to the action.
    Thus enlightens the engagement.
    Mine is light but firm 1-2 lb maybe

I put an extra screw at the back of the action and bedded and floated mine.
    It shoots well still 1/2inch groups at 50 yards all day long with cci std.

Even after I rotary-hoed it into the ground and had to lop off the barrel some.

Mine has a distinct firing pin notch in the barrel which I cleaned up many years ago as it was stopping ejection.

Ghee the amount of ammo I have put thou it.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 09-04-2021 at 11:57 AM.