MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Three "prepper" questions...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPractical View Post
    Ha...great minds. Canned and roll your own not so common here, so I just stored away 5 cartons of Marlboros. I don't moke, but I figured this was a good tradeable. God willing, they will be long stale by the time I have to trade them, but I don't think anyone will be too choosy at that point. Same thing for alcohol - a case of cheap vodka. Last big tradeable I have is coffee - my only concern is how long the shelf life is for ground.

The good part about the cigarettes is you can break it down small to pack or even singles. I got a bunch of bic lighters with teh same thought - small trades. I wanted to get the alcohol in fifth's, but they cost more than the big bottles.
    I was thinking the tins would stay fresher longer. I've got some of the "traveler" plastic bottles of liquor. Not top shelf but bonded whiskey could be a luxury item eventually. You are right. It ain't cheap. Couple of bouts with wood alcohol blindness could make it a hot item though. I've got a Corona grinder for the corn I have put back. It works for coffee too. Now you've got me thinking about a 50 lb sack of coffee beans put up in mylar like my rice and beans. Lord I wonder how much 50 lbs of roasted coffee beans would cost?

Refilling bic lighters was a hot ticket when I think it was Venezuela that circled the economic drain in the '90s

Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread but what kind of tinned tobacco should I put up for own rolleds when the days get dark and vices are bartered? I don't know pipe tobacco from cigarette tobacco. I'm guessing Prince Albert may not be the best choice. Enquiring minds want to know.
    Any tinned tobacco is good, Cornell and Deihl have a huge selection. I would suggest a good pipe and LOTS of matches if that is important to you. You can also get 1 pound cans of the cheaper stuff, (I buy Captain Black Gold in the one pound can for my daily smoke. Not bad, but not great), for less than 75 bucks, usually, and a pound of tobacco will last a long time. The containers are NOT metal, but metal lined cardboard, and not really good for long, long term storage. However, if you are looking for REAL long term storage of tobacco, the 50 gram tins are the way to go, as the contents will just get mellower with age, unlike cigarettes which are unsmokable after about 6 months. They can also be used as trade goods in that smaller size for the nicotine slaves who are going nuts for a smoke in the midst of chaos.
    https://www.cornellanddiehl.com/tobaccos.cfm

Moderator Emeritus

Get a good vacuum sealer - check the threads already posted on our site
    If you can't move, see about a small boat that can be docked but where you are that is going to be expensive. Have you looked at the water tables in your area? Small well might be the ticket with a hand pump. Out here in the mountains, my well is 400'. I had to replace the pump last year but I do have small spring on my property. Cotton balls with Vaseline work great. I make my own fireplace starters from dryer lint with a tablespoon of Vaseline and the cardboard tubes from toilet paper. I don't own glocks, but pretty sure folks here cast for them. Look into the hand reloaders such as the Buchanan hand press one of our guys makes. Nice unit. Remember anything away from your current home could be inaccessible. Bugging out may not be practical. Fish, bird, cattle, etc antibiotics and such will work for humans in an emergency. Do your research before it is needed. The EMT certification was smart. Just threw together some thoughts after reading others comments. It is very hard to find like minded folks in your immediate area at times. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread but what kind of tinned tobacco should I put up for own rolleds when the days get dark and vices are bartered? I don't know pipe tobacco from cigarette tobacco. I'm guessing Prince Albert may not be the best choice. Enquiring minds want to know.
    I smoked Velvet in a pipe for 30 years, but it also made a decent rolled cig.
    Don't forget papers and those little rollers. PA or any of the more strongly flavored pipe tobacco's do not make a decent rolled cig. Better than nothing, yes.
    For rolled cig's you want a small flake not a long stringy tobacco.

I'll throw one more jewel out there. Roasted coffee degrades from the time it was roasted. Ground coffee degrades faster. Smaller partical size.

Buy some green coffee beans and learn how to roast your own.
    At this point my best roaster is a 10$ second hand store hot air popcorn popper. But it can be done in a stainless steel bowl over an open fire.
    Be careful what wood you use, it will pick up some of the flavor.

I've been using Wild Plum as it is a fruitwood and I have a source.

A little practice now tells you how dark you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

USMC 77, USRA 79

move to Alaska while you still can, and learn to live subsistance. if you live in NY you are already colder then we are. in my part of alaska, we have cachement systems to collect rainwater, and there is very little to do to purify it. we prep for a living here. i have generators that run on multiple fuel sources, water filtration systems that I can pack in a backpack everywhere I hike... hunt and fish. learn to use a hand saw. cann, dry and collect. pay attention to what supplies you use in a single week, month, and year. i believe I have enough in hand to go a year. it wont be gourmet, but it will feed us. the winter are the hardest months, but there is still foraging to be done.

learn to defend what you have as well. against animals, insects, and more...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Water is a big issue. in case of a permanent long term loss of utilities.. you can't rely on a generator to run a well. You need a source of water that can be hand dipped. Lake.. resevoir... pond.. stream.. creek.. etc.

From there.. water filtration / distilation can be figured out. Have to have water first.. etc.

Boolit Master
    I'm looking for practical “prepper” suggestions that people have come up with. Here are the issues I am dealing with/pondering:

Water is not super plentiful in my neighborhood. I have some decent water filters, but what are some of you planning as your "natural water sourrce"? Rain is a wishful/hopeful – it rains at least twice a month, but that’s not an insane amount of water.

I store food in mylar bags which then go into 5 gallon buckets - most with gamma seal lids. Was trying to come up with a larger container that I could put lighter bulkier stuff in. All of my prepping revolves around what can be loaded up and carried off (if I learned anything from 9/11 it is that where I live - Long Island - can be left isolated quickly. Back then, they shut down the bridges?) Any ideas? I got focused on putting stuff in #10 cans and then sealing them; but then realized that makes something even harder to transport. Pelican cases are overkill.

Any suggestions for groups on Long Island that are "like minded"? I have been on the look out for years - and groups that existed before seem to have died out. I also assume some of them have gone to ground. I found one group off Facebook (yeah, not the ultimate soruce for great info) - went to a meeting but found the few people there were just too clueless. Not being nasty about it, just saying if someone is coming to a group, they should have done SOME research on their own. I'm looking for groups where I come with my skills, and someone else comes with their skills, and we both learn a little and have someone to fall back on.

Ideas/Opinions/Suggestions all apreciated.

Backstory (for those who want to read EVEN MORE): Part of what motivated me to post this is I found some lead diving weights, and added it to lead I had. Wife asked if I was going to "make more bullets". I told her, "No...I have enough slugs, and you can't make bullets for the pistols - they go too fast". She said that didn't sound right. To prove her wrong, we hit up the google. Showed her how Glock says can't shoot lead cast through their guns (I think they fear it fouls up the rifling). Then I googled some more, and found other barrels for the Glock that were OK with the cast bullets (different rifling?). Point is, I didn't know this, and I'm guessing there is at least one person here who did. I would lump knowledge like this into "stuff people know when they are making a plan..."

So those of you making a plan - what knowledge can you share?
    You can plan all you want to, but what happens, whatever it is, will very rarely, if ever, fit your plans. I won't say "never" but I did consider it. I got into "prepping" when I was ten years old. My new step-father thought that Armageddon was going to be happening any minute now. That was 1965, in case you're wondering. Nothing that he prepared for has actually happened. He was training my little brother and I to be his own private army. Our grandmother was Mormon, and also had been a newlywed during the Great Depression. She gardened, and grew the most wonderful fruit and vegetables, often from kitchen scraps. She also had stored food and supplies she would need to last her family for about a year. We asked #2 why he wasn't storing food, and he told us he didn't need to, as the Mormons were storing for us. We didn't say anything, but we knew it wasn't going to be that easy.

For those who want a good place to get #10 cans or mylar-bagged food for long-term storage, you can do worse than to locate your nearest Bishop's Storehouse. Do not count on the stuff surviving, though. Rats and mice can go through the plastic buckets and mylar bags, and if the infestation is bad enough, the urine and feces from them will even ruin the #10 cans. And a week or two can be long enough to have a years worth of food utterly destroyed. Been there, done that, and didn't even get a T-shirt for it.

I've been in the City of New York once, just long enough to catch the next flight going overseas when my flight was late enough arriving in NYC that I missed my scheduled flight. Long Island was THE garden spot and source of food for NYC for quite a bit of it's history, including before it was renamed from the Dutch. If you can set up water barrels to collect rainwater, you can probably get enough to keep a garden going. If you can, you should.

If you can move someplace better, you should do that, too. If you can't, do the best you can with what you have. Do not let it be known that you have and store food, weapons, ammo, fuel, clothing, or anything else of value. Don't buy a new car every couple of years, and don't worry too much about the appearance of your cars, but do keep them in good mechanical condition. Learn how to do that yourself, if you don't already know how, and practice! Gather the tools and skills for everything you think you might need to do or have done.

Remember, All things come to he who waiteth. As long as he who waiteth worketh like mad while he waiteth!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Yes cast lead can be shot in Glocks ......no it's not where you should start . With trigger time and attention to detail jacketed velocities are not difficult to get to up to 22-2300 fps MV .

Have you considered a still ? I mean it's not stealthy like a siphon straw but your only a mile or so from an ocean , bay , or river outlet unless I have completely failed every geography lesson ever .

If everything is bagged and sealed 50 cal , 20mm , and 40mm ammo cans are pretty handy . Hermetic seal , stackable , already OD green or Navy grey , water tight , built in handles , and near zero danger of busting one open if it's dropped or used as a defensive tool .

I don't know how much salt you can boil out of sea water but Hawaii ain't running on sea level cold water springs . Stills come in all sorts of shapes from counter top qts to 150 gallon a day fuel mills .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. My key takeaways:

1) People seem to like the 5 gallon buckets (I was hoping for more square and rectangular suggestions). I have about 60 five gallon buckets, and two 25 gallon barrels right now. I have a method to quickly load them into a trailer; BUT...after looking though my list (I made a database to keep track of everything, so I know when to cycle things out), I realized they weigh about 2/3 the total trailer's 1100 pound capacity (and no, I have not made a dry run to see how many buckets/barrels can fit in the trailer - a new item on the to-do list). I swiched to pop on tops for the buckets - $1.50 vs $9 for the gamma - so at least the bucket/top set is now cheaper.

2) Rain barrels - it does not rain with consistancy here, but it does rain. If I'm looking for water, and I have nothing to catch it with when it rains, I'm gonna be angry. So, I'm scrounging five 55 gallon plastic drums (that held alcohol) - one for each downspout and one spare. I laready have filters to treat it as well as chemicals if things get bad.

3) I realized i can cast 9mm - which is great. But...I have no familiarity with how they need to be lubed, so I need to come up to speed on that - someone mentioned powder coating them...

4) Finding like minded on Long Island is tough (I KNOW they are here - but I think they are hiding). Since I do not plan to move for another few years (and I have a "off island" place to go if things look like they are going in the wrong direction) I am going with "next best" - taking a radio couse and coming up to speed on radios so I at least have some method of communicating with whoever is left.

5) Since I don't want to rely on generator, I'm looking into solar to run a well pump. To just run the well pump and a small efficient DC fridge, I don't need much.

6) I am friendly with a few people with boats, but...I have little plan of where we would go with that boat, and how I would move once on the other side. It' a weakness.

Moderator Emeritus

The bigger square totes (IBC Tanks) hold 275 gallons. I have two and they fill up faster than you think depending on the size of water runoff area.

Boolit Grand Master
    Worrying about casting and lubing bullets for your 9mm is a low priority. And a pistol is the least effective weapon to depend on for SHTF events especially if you are smart and decide to hunker down. IMO unless you get out before the SHTF, getting out during the event is not a good option.

If you live in a populated area, you will need to kill a lot of others to survive. They will come after you and your stuff. A recently bought a couple of Hi-Point carbines for home defense. At about $300 each, they are cheap and effective to about 100 yards, and can be fired indoors without too much hearing damage.

Back to bullets. Even with the current situation, you can buy very good bullets at a reasonable cost. These are decent bullets:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...count)?Tk=DFBU

I stocked up on 124 gr JHP at about $100/1000. when I found them on sale. When things get back to normal you should be able to get good jacketed bullets for $150/1000 or less.

Many folks here prefer cast to factory bullets but I am not one of them. I shoot cast for fun/practice/plinking but for self-defense and hunting I use jacketed.

I am a prepper and realized living in the suburbs was not smart if the SHTF. Your "neighbors" would soon become your enemy. It is estimated about 5% of Americans are preppers but that number is deceiving. Nearly everyone I know in my area of rural MI is a prepper. When I lived in the burbs, I only knew one person who prepped. We call them citiots for a reason.

If/when you move to a more rural location, you must become part of the community to survive, and offer a skill that others find value in. Everyone knows I reload and a few have seen my set up. I will be the "munitions plant" if things get bad. I can cast bullets (4000 lbs of alloy), and load rifle, pistol and shotgun ammunition on progressive machines. I help the locals with selecting firearms/scopes and doing minor gun work. I have a lathe for light machining and a tractor for heavy chores around the homestead. I have done tractor work for as little as a bottle of whiskey to help out neighbors. Stuff like that builds acceptance. I support the local bear hunters even though I do not hunt bear. Attend fund raisers and give to the Volunteer Fire Dept...stuff like that. Like I, you will be viewed as a citiot until you prove you are not. I can call people and have help within 15 minutes and they know I will do the same for them.

When the SHTF, without community, you will die. It is that simple. You will live longer in the country because people are better prepared and the need for your stuff is less urgent. But if you have a pretty wife, or daughters...well...man is basically evil.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man
    I used a sawyer mini water filter when i was sent to recover remains from ww2 in the Himalayan mountain range of India. super easy to use just put it on a 16/20 oz coke bottle of unfiltered water and squeeze the bottle and pour into a clean container. Doesn't get rid of chemicals or viruses, but does prevent the runs from giardia and bacteria and filters out particulates. uses dialysis tubing. 56 days without potable water source says it works. never got sick and way easier than the pump ones they issued us.

The biggest, most important thing is to think it through, and have a place to go.
    Plan on getting out of, and being at least 75 miles from a major city.

I've talked to soft heads who thought they'd 'bug out' with a backpack, and full tank of gas.

I'd ask them where they'd 'bug out' to?
    When your 10 cans of pork & beans run out--- those folks out in the country will not be waiting for you with open arms.
    They aren't your solution, you're their problem- that they will deal with swiftly, and you won't like the outcome.

After telling them some of the facts of life---- Then it gets real quiet.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 08-28-2021 at 03:52 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Worrying about casting and lubing bullets for your 9mm is a low priority. And a pistol is the least effective weapon to depend on for SHTF events especially if you are smart and decide to hunker down. IMO unless you get out before the SHTF, getting out during the event is not a good option.

If you live in a populated area, you will need to kill a lot of others to survive. They will come after you and your stuff. A recently bought a couple of Hi-Point carbines for home defense. At about $300 each, they are cheap and effective to about 100 yards, and can be fired indoors without too much hearing damage.

Back to bullets. Even with the current situation, you can buy very good bullets at a reasonable cost. These are decent bullets:

I stocked up on 124 gr JHP at about $100/1000. when I found them on sale. When things get back to normal you should be able to get good jacketed bullets for $150/1000 or less.

Many folks here prefer cast to factory bullets but I am not one of them. I shoot cast for fun/practice/plinking but for self-defense and hunting I use jacketed.

I am a prepper and realized living in the suburbs was not smart if the SHTF. Your "neighbors" would soon become your enemy. It is estimated about 5% of Americans are preppers but that number is deceiving. Nearly everyone I know in my area of rural MI is a prepper. When I lived in the burbs, I only knew one person who prepped. We call them citiots for a reason.

If/when you move to a more rural location, you must become part of the community to survive, and offer a skill that others find value in. Everyone knows I reload and a few have seen my set up. I will be the "munitions plant" if things get bad. I can cast bullets (4000 lbs of alloy), and load rifle, pistol and shotgun ammunition on progressive machines. I help the locals with selecting firearms/scopes and doing minor gun work. I have a lathe for light machining and a tractor for heavy chores around the homestead. I have done tractor work for as little as a bottle of whiskey to help out neighbors. Stuff like that builds acceptance. I support the local bear hunters even though I do not hunt bear. Attend fund raisers and give to the Volunteer Fire Dept...stuff like that. Like I, you will be viewed as a citiot until you prove you are not. I can call people and have help within 15 minutes and they know I will do the same for them.

When the SHTF, without community, you will die. It is that simple. You will live longer in the country because people are better prepared and the need for your stuff is less urgent. But if you have a pretty wife, or daughters...well...man is basically evil.
    Don - thanks for the advice. All true. I have a fair share of everything. Casting more becuase I have the lead, but if I leave here, I probably do not have the capacity to take all my lead and my presses (9mm on the progressive and 556 on a turret, and a single stage for whatever does I have left). For bullets, have you tried: https://www.evergladesammo.com/bulle...jhp-rn-v2.html
    Community is everything, and there is none where I am now. If the world is still here when I move, great.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I can't imagine using a jacketed bullet for self defense. With ballistic gel testing I've seen too much over penetration with most jacketed bullets..and have seen great results with purpose cast lead .

I wouldn't choose a 9 for a shtf..but perhaps a 357. Get a long arm and side arm using the same ammo. In addition you can shoot 38 and 38+p in a 357. It's still a popular and available caliber and should be easy to scrounge..not to mention very easy to reload even with a basic lee loader kit... Load on the run if you had to for simple straightwall no trim cartridges...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I can't imagine using a jacketed bullet for self defense. With ballistic gel testing I've seen too much over penetration with most jacketed bullets..and have seen great results with purpose cast lead .

I wouldn't choose a 9 for a shtf..but perhaps a 357. Get a long arm and side arm using the same ammo. In addition you can shoot 38 and 38+p in a 357. It's still a popular and available caliber and should be easy to scrounge..not to mention very easy to reload even with a basic lee loader kit... Load on the run if you had to for simple straightwall no trim cartridges...
    People escaping cities that plan on reloading with Lee loaders are living in a fantasy world. Most escapees during a SHTF event are going to be dead within days...some may last a couple of weeks. If someone is foolish enough to try, the advantage of the 9mm is its popularity...easier to liberate ammunition off the dead than reload. And there will be tens of thousands of dead.

The escapees are loaded down with crap...like Lee loaders...and will be exhausted. The local yokels will be on their home turf, have plenty of food and water, will be rested, and have friends backing them up. Winger Ed has shared the reality of bugging out...if you do not have a BOL and the means to get there without encountering resistance you are dead. NO ONE WANTS YOU....

You are not going to be shooting squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, etc. to survive. Those resources belong to the locals. You will be murdered for harvesting “their” food during a STHF event.

If you wound/kill one of the locals, you will be hunted down and killed. They will not care if you shot in self defense.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

A lee loader fits in a cargo pocket..if that loads someo e down they can put it on their walker.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    A lee loader fits in a cargo pocket..if that loads someo e down they can put it on their walker.
    I don't see why anyone would bother.

If you need to carry around a loader, you'll also need powder, primer, and some form or fashion of bullets, or the means to make them.
    If you don't already have the powder & primers, where are ya going to get them?
    If primers & such is expensive and hard to find now--- how will that situation improve during a disaster?
    If ya already have powder and primers, get the brass to go with them now and put 'em together ahead of time.

I'm old fashioned:
    Leading a barrel (a concern in the OP) would be WAY down on my list of priorities,
    and I'd just carry loaded ammo I made and stored ahead of time---
    possibly even dropped down in the frame tubes of my walker in order to save pocket space for something useful.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    I think I could start a conversation about a wart on my ass, and someone would bring it around to caliber. I would say shoot what you got. I would assume 9mm would be easier to harvest, but that's a guess.

I'm assuming everyone here has at least given things a thought - so you probably have a reasonable reason why what your doing works for you.

Reloading? For at least the first week, I assume I'll be going out at night to check in with neighbors but otherwise basically hiding in my crawlspace (and reloading ammo to pass the time). If it turns out to be a waste of time, I'm sure they will mock me.

Leading the barrel was not really my original cocern - was just pointing out that I had thought could not shoot cast 9 from a Glock - thought the round was going "too fast" and would not hold together well in the barrel. When I realized that was not true, that got me thinking about what else I didn't know.

Winger Ed - yes, place it key. We got a place to go. Pain is deciding when to go there and who to bring. Had to make that decision when covid started. Will probably have to make it again in the next three years (after that we will move to a new place). As everyone has pointed out, getting off an Island once things start to become obviously bad is hard.

My big questions were if anyone had a better storage container size than a bucket - seems we all like buckets. Also was looking for some water suggestions in suburbs - seems like there are great filter suggestions, but water itself, ehh. I carry a water key in all vehicles. Getting off Long Island is mostly about leaving smart instead of waiting. I was hopeful for suggestions for finding other similar people - but I *think* we are at a point here where no one wants to tip there hand. Here no one even wants to talk about guns - make like gun owners are crazy - yet when local Costco brings in three skids of pistol locking "vaults", they are sold in two weeks. Same for big safes. So someone has something. Gotta come up with a secret handshake...

Boolit Grand Master
    Don - thanks for the advice. All true. I have a fair share of everything. Casting more becuase I have the lead, but if I leave here, I probably do not have the capacity to take all my lead and my presses (9mm on the progressive and 556 on a turret, and a single stage for whatever does I have left). For bullets, have you tried: https://www.evergladesammo.com/bulle...jhp-rn-v2.html
    Community is everything, and there is none where I am now. If the world is still here when I move, great.
    Thanks for the link...those prices are good for our current conditions. IIRC I have 3k JHP so I am good.

Do not get frustrated. Your 9mm is fine...ignore the “experts”. I have the resources to buy whatever I need and 9mm weapons form the base of my pistol and short range carbine preps. What many forget is that your wife/children/grandchildren may be fighting with you. They can handle 9mm better than a .357 Mag.

Sorry that I cannot offer a better food container than 5 gal pails. In my situation they work but I am also living at my BOL. I am 70 YO, so leaving for another place is not an option.
    Last edited by dverna; 08-29-2021 at 08:38 PM.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast