Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Anybody planning on trapping this year?

Boolit Buddy

Anybody planning on trapping this year?

I’ve been away from it for a few years but hope to get back into it this year. Just as a hobby and to give the turkeys etc a lil help. I’ll mainly do some water trapping and some land sets. Any raccoons I catch will be recycled to the wild….. I’ve never caught a mink or a coyote so I’ll try to set some for them.

Anyway let’s keep a great tradition alive, even if it doesn’t make money anymore.

Boolit Grand Master

I still have traps at my cabin. I saw beaver in the pond this year and signs of coyote. Mink, Fischer, fox etc but I'm 1,000 miles south. Ugh.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Bub
    Yes. Here in Massachusetts we're restricted to cage type traps except we can trap beaver with a damage control permit and 220 conibears.

I did catch one beaver, a big female, last winter with my Comstock cage. I like the meat to be honest.

Boolit Buddy
    That’s awesome. Any secrets to getting a good result as far as table fare? I’ve seen videos etc on the Comstock cage traps. Keep on keeping on.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I wish I was! Some of the most fun and best experiences in my life and I got paid well for it!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore442001 View Post
    Yes. Here in Massachusetts we're restricted to cage type traps except we can trap beaver with a damage control permit and 220 conibears.

I did catch one beaver, a big female, last winter with my Comstock cage. I like the meat to be honest.
    Beaver is very lean meat just trim off the fat and then you can take low grade grounded beef and mix it together , you will have some good burgers or any other use for it. Or you can just cook up the meat with out grounding. Muskrat is just as good . You can also mix the grounded pork with the beaver too .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I do feel sorry for you all in MA for how the state turn out to. I had grew up in MA and trapped there when you could use conibears and footholds in water only and at one time you could use the soft catch footholds on land . I left the state in 1995 , I got sick of the bull there and the taxes. Glad I left when I did .

I will be trapping this season like other seasons , gain more ground . I eat beaver and others meats I trap. Beaver is lean meat and just trim the fat off. If you ground it you can add it to low grade ground beef or add ground pork you will see a different in it , Or you can bake it beaver or roast it or in a slow cooker . There is recipes out there . I even made some summer sausage with it and some deer and also with deer and pork , that one came out better, You can use it like you would any other meat just remember it being lean, leaner then deer.

I had talk with a fur buyer I know that coyote will be down in price but do not know how much .I will be trapping like normal . Anyone else will be trapping also.

Still have all my traps from the years that I actively trapped but this year I will not be out in the field pursuing furbearers. Putting venison in the freezer will be priority number one.

Chris

I'm just a few years too young to trap. I plan on getting back into it when I turn 67.

I've still got my traps from back in the day. -- 100+ rat traps, bout three dozen coyote/cat long and coil spring, and couple dozen Conebare 110's.

It's been around forty years since I did much of it, and I'm hoping that Oregon doesn't out-law these traps before I get a chance to use them. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i am gunna trap this year..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91EA6B44-7E22-49E2-A39C-C5CE5D8C1105.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	291096

i saw beaver and otter both while deer hunting and cant wait to get the traps out!!!

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    i am gunna trap this year..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91EA6B44-7E22-49E2-A39C-C5CE5D8C1105.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	291096

i saw beaver and otter both while deer hunting and cant wait to get the traps out!!!

Marko
    Nice otter. I had already filled my deer permits. Now will be back out trapping. like I normal will it also will put food in the freezer also. For what I do use for food .

I got myself a nice big male otter yesterday . besides 3 beaver , 2 coon, 2 possum. 1 rat and skunk. Still have some more traps to set. beside finish skinning what I caught yesterday . Not much.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just started so I'm in
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I have a few traps out now. Dang cat/dog fisher. Wife saw it the other day go in my burn pile. So I have catch it before she will let the chickens roam wild again. If we didnt have high winds I would just burn him out.

Im not good at trapping but I am good with shooting them dead.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.