Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! What powder measures should I keep?

Boolit Buddy

Help! What powder measures should I keep?

Howdy! Am trying to pare down to two powder measures for my portable reloading stand - one for pistol and one for rifle. Not sure what I should do.

Here's what I have

• Redding 3-BR (with pistol and rifle inserts)
    • RCBS Uniflow - Small Cylinder
    • RCBS Uniflow - Standard Cylinder
    • Lee Perfect Powder Measure

The OCD part of my brain wants the two Uniflows side by side because they will match. Then there's part of me that wants to keep the Redding. Then another part wants to keep the Lee and the Redding or the Lee and an RCBS (with both cylinders). Then there's the part that wants one setup for pistol and one setup for rifle without having to change parts since this is going to be a portable rig for load development.

What are YOUR thoughts?

Boolit Master

I'd certainly dump the Lee and one RCBS.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a number of powder measures. However, for convenience and value, it is hard to beat the Redding. The micrometer adjustment is particularly useful for a development powder measure. I like your idea of having one for each kit. I would suggest trading one or two of the other measures so I had two Reddings.

Just a thought or two…

Dale53

The Redding would never leave my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    The Redding would never leave my bench.
    Good Lord...A $200 powder measure

Boolit Buddy
    To be fair, the Redding saw some abuse before I purchased it. Had to replace the reservoir, screws, and quite a bit of rust...

Boolit Master
    Not to hijack the op thread...

And what say you on the Lyman 55? I just got one but the threads and outlet are small diameter

Boolit Buddy
    No complaints about the RCBS...I had large/small cylinder. I went to a Dillon and have found their auto measure to suffice for pistol loads...hand weigh match loads. Looking for a reliable BP measure.....I would definitely keep the Redding.....never had on but it gets high regards.
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 2 RCBS Manual Powder Measures/Throwers or whatever they call them. One permanently mounted on the RCBS Piggyback setup for Handgun Shells the other one besides the other Rockchucker setup for Rifle Cartridges. I just love how accurate they are never no problems with them in all those years.

Cheers

Boolit Buddy
    There's definitely a rhythm to using a Lyman 55.

Boolit Master

The RCBS Uni-Flows with small drum is my preferred, but my Uni-flow large drum with mirco-meter works well too. In fact I have started using a Uni-Flow with the Hornady case activated gizmo on one of my Dillon 450s. I just find that the Uni-Flows handle fine ball powder so well. But it all depends I guess on what your needs are and what powders you normally use.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I liked being able to use the RCBS (dismounted) to charge pistol cases in blocks. I would inspect several hundred at a time and then seat a bullet on them.....seems like the more calibers I load for the less I worry about +- 1/10 of a grain.....I plan on selling all of my, least used, firearms and load only for 10mm/ 44-40/ 44 mag/ 45-70/ 45colt and 45 2/78ths. I cast for all and constantly learn things from these forums!
    Do I have a knife....Ive got my pants on don't I.

Boolit Master

Keep the redding.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Keep all four!

The Lee is a better measure for large kerneled powders. (I have one)

The RCBS (one each, large rotor and small) is where I am for all my other work.

If I had a Redding, I would keep it.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Keep the Redding. I have an old, original brown body #3. This is the most accurate measure I have ever used. The micrometer adjustment let’s me tweak a charge and it drops right on the money every time. Just record the micrometer setting and you can quickly dial in the same load later. I like it so much that I acquired two more that I gave to my brother and BOL.

No question in my mind.
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldnt worry about brand or color not important. Keep the 2 that work the best for you. Here performance is the most important. By this I mean if one or 2 throw charges more consistently for you then those are it.

I've had all of them plus a Belding and Mull, a Hollywood, a RCBS Duomatic? and a Lyman 55. Those have all gone down the road over the years.

Currently have the 3-BR with both chambers, pistol for the little stuff less than 1.5 grainsrifle for the big stuff greater than 60 grains and a BR-30 for the serious stuff--tiny group kind of loads.

Haven't seen anything that would make me change my mind on what I use.

But I do still have my Lee dippers for the one or two off kind of loads.
    Last edited by 15meter; 08-24-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My Redding’s would be the last to leave my bench. I have both the green brands but the Redding is preferred due to the micrometer adjustment and accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    If you notice there are no help questions about the Redding powder measure's.
    As for making very small powder changes, the Lyman 55 shines with the three
    slides on the powder drum.

Boolit Grand Master

It's difficult to tell someone which tool to use from afar. But having a bit of OCD myself, I'd prolly keep the Uniflows, for looks as well as performance. I have two powder measures that I use and 4 others in a cabinate. Both are accurate, repeatable and hold very small variations. One is a C-H 505 that the last time I used it, with 4.1 gr charge of Universal, it held .1-.15 gr easily. I used some BR-5 a couple weeks ago an it too held .1 to .2 gr variation. My second well used powder measure is my Lee PPM. Yes, a LEE PPM. I stiffened the mount/stand but otherwise it's bone stock. Yep, it will leak a few granuals of WC 820 (a very fine ball powder) but for repeatability it's hard to beat. One time I was reloading W231 for some mediun 38 Special loads and I'd get at most .1 gr variation but I also got 8-10 consecutive charges with no measurable varuation (I used a digital backed up with an RCBS 5-10 and was weighing every charge for a load work up).
    Last edited by mdi; 08-26-2021 at 01:04 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast