RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! What powder measures should I keep?

Boolit Master
    I have a Herter's, an RCBS Uniflow with both cylinders, Bonanza Fixed charges(like RCBS Lil' Dandy) use my Lee Perfect for rifle and my Lee Deluxe Perfect for small charges. Have Lee Auto disc's on Lee Loadmaster and Pro 100, have Lee Auto-disc on some Dillon 550 set-ups. I find the Lee Perfect the quickest to set to a new charge and very accurate with coarser powders. Never liked the CRUNCH when using the RCBS Uniflow with tubular powders. I do keep looking at the Redding BR3, just because it is Redding, but my Lee just works so well. I would keep the Redding and use the Lee.

Boolit Master
    You need a Lyman 55

Boolit Master
    I'd test and keep the most accurate
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master

Dump the Lee and get a Lyman 55 before they skyrocket in price.
    Lyman discontinued them. The replacement is probably made in china.
    My Lyman 55 will meter down to 1 grain of Bullseye.
    I believe ya can never have too many Powder Measures.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Dump the lee and keep the others. Set up the extra ones for a particular caliber you load a lot. Easy. I use a rcbs with the micrometer for load development. I prefer dillon 550 measures mounted on my presses [2-550’s and 2- Lyman Tmags] [also have some dillon 450 measures that are accurate] when I change dies I also change measures. Life is too short to recalibrate measures every time I turn around. Plus every time you monkey with a press to change things -type of powder or amount of throw- you create an opportunity for a screw up. Btw, I have 8 measures I've picked up over the years. KISS

Boolit Master
    I use a Lyman 55 and a Redding and would not ever get rid of either.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If I were getting rid of one it would be the Lee. Also, I really like my two Lyman 55s. They work great with BP just the way they are. You don’t have to upgrade to the more expensive BP model. However, it’s best to dump all the BP and spray down with break cleaner after each use if you are in a humid environment.

Boolit Master
    My Lyman 55 is my choice for a bench mounted measure and next is the RCBS but I use my Lee press mounted measures more than anything else pro auto disk and auto drum. And they would be the last to go .
    But I am going to keep them all

Boolit Grand Master

I would keep the 2 RCBS and sell the others. Mostly because you have 2 of them that could be set up as one small and one large.

Boolit Master
    Keep the two RCBS measures. Set each one to throw a certain charge of a certain powder. Store them until needed. Keep the Redding. Discard the Lee.

So a man, who reloads. has four powder measures. He want to pare down to two powder measures. He has the measures in front of him to examine and test. Presumably he has used all four at one time or another. So he asked the opinion of an internet reloading board, full of people he does not know and have no idea of their experience level.

What he is going to get, will just be their opinions and most will favor what they use. Some will tell him to buy something other than the four he has, ignoring the original question all together. So, a couple of process questions come to mind.

1. Why ask the counsel of people you don't know and probably don't know any more than you.?
    2. Why turn your thinking and decision making over to others?

Seeking the counsel of people you know, trust and have confidence in, is not altogether a bad idea, but a whole bunch of strangers, not so much. I find the internet a very interesting place to watch human nature to unfold. Does this mirror human behavior before the internet or has the internet cause some changes? I suspect the latter, but that also is just an opinion.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    It’s simple, keep the ones that work best. Ignore brand names.

Liked your comment Char-Gar. I’ve been known to ask for input about a build that I am having problems with from this and other forum members in the past. Made witty comments about posts and have posted my successful projects. You get to where you can tell the knowledgeable posters from the others. I hope that my comments and information offered have been a help. All we generally can do is relate our experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Liked your comment Char-Gar. I’ve been known to ask for input about a build that I am having problems with from this and other forum members in the past. Made witty comments about posts and have posted my successful projects. You get to where you can tell the knowledgeable posters from the others. I hope that my comments and information offered have been a help. All we generally can do is relate our experiences.
    I belong to a fairly small school of thought on decision making.

1. Make your own decisions.
    2. Make your own mistakes.
    3. Do an autopsy on your mistakes.
    4. Learn from the mistakes.
    5. Do not repeat the mistakes.

Do this and the number of your mistakes will shrink really fast...I mean really fast. This is called learning through critical thinking.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I do that after I’ve shot a match-win or lose, what did I do wrong, do right, need to practice doing, any equipment issues. Your mistakes are the only thing you can truly call your own.

I like that!

Boolit Master
    Pick two, use them. Store the other two in a box. Never can tell when you may need another powder measure. Tools and guns are to be acquired not gotten rid of.

Redding and 1 of the Uniflows would be my must keeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Grand Master
    Char-Gar summed it up pretty well, and I would only add that different measures have different individual strengths with regard to type of powder being dispensed and volume. There is no one measure that drops all volumes of all powders better than all others. That’s why I have several (OK, why I have a bunch) of them.decide what you want to measure and keep the unit(s) that do this the best.

JMHO, you’ll have to decide what you want to do though.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Lyman 55 and a Lee ppm work well for me .your a big boy make your own decision.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast