Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 445 Super Mag bolt action rifle

Boolit Buddy

445 Super Mag bolt action rifle

I have a couple 445 SM handguns and really like the cartridge. I would like to build a compact lightweight woods bolt action rifle in the 445, does anyone have experience with rimmed straight walled cartridges and bolt action builds? Mag fed or box fed doesn't really matter to me as long as it functions and feeds properly. I have been eyeballing a few Remington 788's in 30/30 win. as donor actions, but just can't see spending $700.00 for that. If you guys have any thought on the subject, please chime in. Thank you.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster could be made to fit?
    I was also contemplating a 410 bolt action as a donor - not sure if the pressure would be contained in that though.
    I personally would try a Krag or an Enfield.

Boolit Buddy
    I chased this rabbit a while back, a very similiar cartridge can be made from 30-06 brass that has the same case capacity and reloading data as the 445 sm....it will get you away from the rimmed cartridges...........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    I chased this rabbit a while back, a very similiar cartridge can be made from 30-06 brass that has the same case capacity and reloading data as the 445 sm....it will get you away from the rimmed cartridges...........
    With that approach you could also go 444 Marlin.

I am thinking a Enfield rifle might work.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

Try to your hands on an old Siamese Mauser, the magazine is shaped to feed rimmed cartridges. I built (like a lot of others) a 45/70 version years ago and it fed STOS.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Problem with box or mag, the rim would need to be forward of the round next in line or it could hang up. Also getting a strait case to feed would be fun. The rear of the chamber would need a small radius but still be able to stop the rim. Chamber would need to be polished and the extractor fit would be critical. Just a thought to keep the expense down, try a 93 Mauser.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Problem with box or mag, the rim would need to be forward of the round next in line or it could hang up. Also getting a strait case to feed would be fun. The rear of the chamber would need a small radius but still be able to stop the rim. Chamber would need to be polished and the extractor fit would be critical. Just a thought to keep the expense down, try a 93 Mauser.
    That is what I was thinking!

Boolit Buddy
    If it doesn't have to be a bolt action a Thompson Encore in it should be much easier to do.

Ruger makes the 77/44, not sure if the mag in it has enough space to fit a 445 or not. Reaming the barrel shouldn't be too challenging IF the action will hold the pressure.

This made me curious when the 93 was mentioned so I tried .44 Special,.41 magnum and 44-40 in mine and they dramatically nosedived when pushed forward by the bolt. A single column box magazine would probably be needed ( and made) and all the fitting involved there would be a lot of work.
    Isn't the .44 magnum from a rifle equal to the .445 from a revolver? Can you shoot .44 magnum shells in a .445? I'm not familiar with it.
    For a good bit of money, you can buy a 788 .44 magnum, and possibly convert it to .445 but that would make collectors hopping mad.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a severely Bubba'd Mosin in 351 WSL. The bolt is modified, the magazine is DEFINITELY modified, and the barrel was obviously replaced (I needed it more than $48...what can I say!).
    But I believe that the 7.62x54r pressures are sufficiently higher than the 445 Super Mag, and the system could be modified to accept that cartridge.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Mosins have been chambered in rounds that one would never imagine..... like 300 win. Mag, 500 s. and w..... they are stronger than would be expected!

Boolit Master
    An Enfield might be a good choice because it was designed for a rimmed cartridge and has rear locking lugs. This will give a straighter shot feeding from the magazine into the chamber. The supply of Siamese Mauser's dried up a couple of years ago, and the cost of one today reflects that. A Mosin Nagant seems like it might be the best choice for this type of conversion. It has a single stack magazine that was designed for rimmed cartridges, and some of the spare and aftermarket parts are still available for Mosin's. There are two questions that I think the O.P. should ask themself before going down this road. First; it always costs more to build a rifle than it does to just buy one. $700 seems like a lot of money for a Remington 788, but you'll end up spending way more than that to buy and convert a rifle to 445 Super Mag.
    The second question: The 445 SM is a lengthened version of the 44 Magnum. So is the 444 Marlin. Why would you go to all the effort to build a rifle in a not too common caliber like 445 SM when it would take the same amount of money and effort to make it the much more available and versatile 444 Marlin? If the answer is to have the same caliber in both pistol and rifle, that's a fair reason, but be prepared to spend time, money & effort to make that happen. One last tip: When converting an action to a caliber for which it was never intended, it isn't a straight journey. It's almost always two steps forward & one step back trying to get everything to work. So you're going to have to add patience to that list of requirements too.

Boolit Grand Master
    How about a p-14 Enfield? Made for the 303 british round

My Enfield no 4 mk1 will feed 444marlin brass from the mag, if you used a swc design bullet it should work for the shorter 445sm. I called JES about reboring my Enfield for 444, but he never got back to me. Sounds like a fun project.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Grand Master
    Carbide size dies with the 445 sm vs regular size dies using lube on the 444. My 445sm is on a NEF Handi rifle. If I could pick up a 44mag #1 for a decent price, I would turn it into a 445sm. And yes, you can shoot 44mag in a 445sm.

Boolit Mold
    Remington made the Model 788 in 44 mag and 30-30, with single stack removable magazine.

The Siamese Mause conversion to a 44 requires a box magazine insert. As I recall it was an article in Shooting Times, years ago about a 444 conversion. I do not recall the magazine used but it fit inside the orignal Siamese Mauser fixed magazine for the 45-70. The fixed magazine will not work properly without the insert.
    The 444 and 44 Mag rim size is the same size as the 445 SM 2nd Generation rim size. First Gen is the 30-40 case rim size.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Mold
    I rebarreled a Savage 340 that was originally a 3030 to the 445 supermag chambering. It feeds 44 mag and 445 cartridges like it was designed to. Waiting for some free time and better weather to do some load development and testing.