WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Fall turkey loads

Boolit Master

Fall turkey loads

Howdy all.
    I am looking for a load for turkey hunting.
    Specifically in 25-20 and 32-20.
    The 25 WCF is for 2 separate firearms - an 1892 SRC with a 16" barrel, and an 1892 with a 28" barrel. Both are late 1890's.
    The 32 WCF is for 2 separate firearms also - both 1892's both early 1900's - one is an SRC, the other a 24" rifle.

Hunting will be 50 yards or less, all will be in the hands of young men from 16 on down (and 1 lady and gentleman that are 91 and 95 years young respectively).

The goals are: accuracy, non-positional loads, minimal meat destruction, and preferably cast for both.

I have a number of molds for both, enough brass for both, and a black powder and smokeless selection that should be sufficient.

Thank you all in advance!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Good on you for getting others into the woods. Please let us know the results. Pics would be great.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    For 50 yards or less I’d tell you use a shotgun. My old 1873 SXS 10 gauge using FG powder will put enough pellets out to that range to still get the job done. Turkey on the fly or move sounds like a bad idea with a rifle, especially with drivers in the woods. Not to mention also impossible to get a proper kill shot on the move.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    For 50 yards or less I’d tell you use a shotgun. My old 1873 SXS 10 gauge using FG powder will put enough pellets out to that range to still get the job done. Turkey on the fly or move sounds like a bad idea with a rifle, especially with drivers in the woods. Not to mention also impossible to get a proper kill shot on the move.

I don't disagree!! But they're not called in birds, and the age group probably won't tolerate the sort of recoil that a shotgun turkey load will generate.

Boolit Master
    I should have prefaced this request with some information.
    I have tried to develop a recoil sensitive load for turkey hunting in every shotgun I own. The 410 and 44 Game Getter both passed the recoil test - but not nearly enough pellets on target at 25' to be responsible for an ethical kill.
    28 gauge - couldn't find enough high brass shells for a good test. 20 gauge - kiddos could definitely handle it, and good shot patterning - but I don't think Liz or her husband Don would tolerate the recoil.
    I skipped the spring season with these folks because rifles are not allowed.

Boolit Master
    have you tried an a5 or 1100, I know my semi autos have much much less recoil than any pump or single shot.

Boolit Buddy
    25-20 and 32-20 ROCK as turkey guns. I have killed a fair number of them with a 25-20 and a 32 H&R carbine (32-20 ballistics). In the 25, 8.0 to 10.5 gr 4227 behind an 86gr cast is perfect. In the 32, a 100 to 118 gr cast (Lyman 3118 is a great choice) and enough 2400 or 4227 to get 1200 to 1300fs will take out any turkey and not mess up meat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMoccasin View Post
    25-20 and 32-20 ROCK as turkey guns. I have killed a fair number of them with a 25-20 and a 32 H&R carbine (32-20 ballistics). In the 25, 8.0 to 10.5 gr 4227 behind an 86gr cast is perfect. In the 32, a 100 to 118 gr cast (Lyman 3118 is a great choice) and enough 2400 or 4227 to get 1200 to 1300fs will take out any turkey and not mess up meat.
    Nice! Do you use a hollow point bullet?
    I do have a 3118 mold for my 32, as well as an 85gr mold for my 25. Both have hollow point pins if needed.
    Your powder charge is similar to what I typically use also!

And pumpkin pie spice for fall turkey loads,cranberries are messy.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My 10 gauge with 100 grains of FG recoils likes 20 gauge. If your driving Turkeys it’s going to next to impossible to drop one flying or running through the brush. I’d be looking for some H&R 410’s if you have some recoil sensitive shooters. My A 390 beretta doesn’t hardly recoil at all with 2 3/4” loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    My 10 gauge with 100 grains of FG recoils likes 20 gauge. If your driving Turkeys it’s going to next to impossible to drop one flying or running through the brush. I’d be looking for some H&R 410’s if you have some recoil sensitive shooters. My A 390 beretta doesn’t hardly recoil at all with 2 3/4” loads.
    It's not so much of a turkey drive. They wander out into one of my alfalfa fields early in the morning and late in the evening. I planted some triticale in the trees against the field, so that's where the 50 yards comes from (blind is there).
    Perhaps I am looking for love in all the wrong places? I was just thinking that an 1892 rested on a BogPod would be just the ticket.

Boolit Master

Have you looked into the fancy new TSS shot? Guys are nailing turkeys at 40 yards with a .410 and something crazy like #8 shot.
    It’s heavier than lead. Patterns better and kills like lighting. It’s also about $8 a shot.

Boolit Master
    22lr with std vel lead rn. With my win 92 in 25/20 I load a 65gr lyman (actual 73gr ) with 12.2 grs of H116 but it's a lot louder and more destructive than a 22lr.
    My shots would be at about 20 feet as the turkeys come through the front yard a couple of times a day. So far I haven't shot one as I'm not interested.

Boolit Buddy
    HP not needed, but would not hurt anything. Don't let the shotgunners beat you down. I have been shooting them with proper rifles since 1966. They work great and are no more dangerous than a shotgun. A 36 to 45 cal muzzle loader is also great with a PRB. I also hunt with a 8mmX 16 ga drilling, 130gr cast at 32-20 velocity, and an ounce of #5's in the shot bbls.

Moderator Emeritus

A 25 or 30 cal small bullet placed at the wing joint will stop a turkey dead with very little meat loss.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I agree with your choices. I've used .22 Stingers and .32 H&R on close range gobblers and they worked perfectly.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    My personnel favorite 32-20 carbine load is 5.0 Unique under an RCBS 32-98 SWC, In my Browning 92 copy, it gets just under 1300 fps and is very accurate. I can't say I've taken any turkeys with it, but it is deadly to racoons and I did get a coyote with it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

To my knowledge, here in KY, we can't shoot turkeys with a rifle...but these loads should do the trick with minimal meat damage...in my guns, they have the accuracy for head/neck shots out to 60-70 yds or so.

Here a few of my .25-20 loads...all are 1" or so at 50 yds with a tang peep. Guns are a Winchester M92 and a M65. No leading, ACWW with a pinch of tin for fill out. Bullet is Lyman's 257420 GC, sized 0.258". All of the following worked well...somewhat better without the GC...and no leading either. With the GC (I anneal all of mine), groups open up ~1/2" past 50 yds. Both guns are tang peep equipped and that gave me ~1" groups at 50 yds.

Win 231-4.3 grains, Win SP Mag primer...no crimp, just remove the Lyman "M" die flare
    IMR 4227-8.5 grains, WSR primer...Light taper to remove flare
    SR4759-9.1 grains Win Small Rifle primer...no crimp.

Here's the M65 Winchester...bbl. was just about 'new' condition when I bought it. Built in 1936, it's ten years older than I am! Best Regards, Rod

Rod

Boolit Master
    that's a sweet looking 65 winny, like KY, its not legal to shoot turkey in TN with anything but a shotgun with #4 shot being the largest pellets allowed, if it were legal my old ugly 25-20 is one of my favorites and will shoot a soda pop can at 80 yards 9 out of 10 times while I'm standing upright with the antique Lyman tang sight.