Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 40-65 rolling block?

Boolit Master

40-65 rolling block?

Was the original rolling block ever chambered in 40-65?

Not that I've ever seen. But it is a caliber many have been rebarreled to over the years. I have two in .40-65 I've built, and it's a caliber and gun combo I love for long range shooting.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Marlinman93 I like the look of that rifle especially the sights.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Those old timers at the gun companies didn't ever want to give each other much of any credit. What we call the 40/65 started out as the 40/60 Marlin. Winchester wasn't about to put Marlins name on their gun so they retagged it the 40/65 WCF. both shot a 260-265 gr. bullet. Remington took the Sharps 40/70 2.5 and put it in their #3 Hepburn model and called it the 40/65 (different in every way from the Win/Marlin ctdge), I don't think it was a standard chambering in the #1 Rolling block but I wouldn't bet it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    Those old timers at the gun companies didn't ever want to give each other much of any credit. What we call the 40/65 started out as the 40/60 Marlin. Winchester wasn't about to put Marlins name on their gun so they retagged it the 40/65 WCF. both shot a 260-265 gr. bullet. Remington took the Sharps 40/70 2.5 and put it in their #3 Hepburn model and called it the 40/65 (different in every way from the Win/Marlin ctdge), I don't think it was a standard chambering in the #1 Rolling block but I wouldn't bet it never happened.
    The Winchester .40-65 was indeed a copy of the predecessor Marlin .40-60, but the two used different diameter bullets. The Marlin usually runs about .003" smaller than the Winchester copy.

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Marlinman93 I like the look of that rifle especially the sights.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I built this gun using an original octagon top Remington Sporting Rifle receiver that I traded into with a friend. Wood for the stocks were a gift from another friend, and the engraved, skeletonized buttplate a gift form yet another friend. The Roller got away from me for years, when I traded it on an engraved Ballard barreled action, foolishly. It went through several hands, and eventually ended up with a friend of mine. He promised if he ever sold it, he'd give me first dibs, which he did finally.
    Rear long range sight is a Lee Shaver, and globe front with spirit level is an old Winchester I think? Really don't recall for sure?

Boolit Master

I had an old Douglas 18 twist 40-65 barrel so I got a Swedish 8MM roller for an action and some Treebone wood and built this to hunt deer with. It has taken several with my home made BP.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71' Rolling Block 004.jpg   71' Rolling Block 001.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7577CC55-9D37-4079-A4B4-A4C9C78DF907.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	287927My 40-65 came as a project with John Taylor barreling a #5 action with a lone star rifle co. 28”x1” barrel. I took over an did the wood work. The wood is a Treebone “plain” maple set.

My 40-65 was a Mexican 7mm Spanish , I got 2 of them from a Bar we were renovating , so I decided turn one into shilouette rifle , I found Ron Snover at that time he lived about 20 miles from me
    He made the barrel from scratch and did all of the metal work, I ordered a stock set from TREEBONE and did the wood work myself ,this was about 25 years ago ,it was and still is a great shooter, I sold it my shooting Buddy TED , he shoots at least once a week and at our monthly BUFFALO RIFLE MATCH[ATTACH=CONFIG]288086