RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Your .38 Heavy Duty Propellants of Choice?

Boolit Buddy
    My lighter 357 Magnum loads of choice use CFE Pistol. Full magnums use H110/W296. Strong but not quite full magnums use 2400. I do not try to load baby magnum loads in 38 cases. I load it in magnum brass and select the powder for the level of power I want. Something slower than CFE Pistol like AA #7 or Blue Dot will split the baby between my 2400 loads and CFE Pistol loads if that's what you need.

Boolit Master
    "Interesting in looking at a 1952 GUN DIGEST under the Colt firearms section, it lists the .38-44 rounds as acceptable for use in the D frame Detective Special and Police Positive Special. Just looked at the 1968 SHOOTER'S BIBLE and under the Colt D frame section the steel frame Detective Special is still listed as being able to use "High Speed" ammo but the aluminum frame Agent and Cobra "mid-range and regular service loads" only...."

If they were approved for the post war Detective Special, they will run in a DB...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I can speak authoritatively that a post-1970 light alloy D- frame Colt will last 500 rounds of +P or 100 rounds of PGU/12-B or Q4070 +P+ before it develops end shake to the point of producing misfires. Setting back and refitting a barrel to reduce gap is problematic on a light frame. Unless able to refit a "+" .005" cylinder you are done.

My advice is to limit +P. to 100 rounds spread gently over the life of the gun if you want it to last?, unless you know a factory-trained armorer having access to over sized parts.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Chronographed VV N340 and 158 gr LSWCHP last month:

Firearm: Ruger 4 5/8 inch NM Blackhawk
    Cartridge: 38-44
    Bullet: Speer 158 gr LSWCHP
    Powder: VV N340
    Charge: 6.0 grs
    Primer: CCI 500
    OAL: 1.455”
    Shot#/MV:
    1. 997 fps
    2. 1,003 fps
    3. 1,023 fps
    4. 1,009 fps
    5. 997 fps
    6. 1,008 fps
    7. 992 fps
    8. 995 fps
    9. 1,000 fps
    10. 1,001 fps
    11. 1,013 fps
    12. 1,006 fps

Avg - 1,004 fps
    ES - 31

This load can be duplicated with 6.0 grs Power Pistol with 158 gr cast SWC seated 1.440”.

If I need anything more powerful, I’ll use a 357 Magnum…
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 08-20-2022 at 12:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    Alliant 2400 for barrels 4" long and over. Alliant Unique, Herco, BE-86, or AA#5 for shorter barrels.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

…and at least 11.0 grs 2400 with 158 gr bullet (38-44 for 357 Magnums only); otherwise, too much powder residue…I prefer 13.5 grs 2400/158 gr in 357 Magnum cases. I don’t need any other magnum load than this one since it shoots very accurately even with generic Magma mould dropped 158 gr SWCs.

Clean smeen! Unique and 2400...Hercules Powder Company got it right.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Clean smeen! Unique and 2400...Hercules Powder Company got it right.
    Unique is on “the endangered species” list…good luck ever finding it again…

Boolit Master
    A friend last week sent me a note about 3:00pm that Mid South Shooter Suuply sent him a notice that morning they had UNIQUE in 8# jugs for $221...went and checked and they were already sold out.

So maybe it is coming back...?

Boolit Master
    We can only hope...
    I use a fair amount of BE-86, which is a perfectly acceptable substitute for Unique (better in some respects). But I've done the most "research" with Unique, and have a better "feel" for what I can do with it.
    I'M fearful that Alliant may discontinue Herco, for BE-86, despite their NOT being interchangeable. It's been my experience that, when I've "topped out" on a work-up with Unique, I can often continue with Herco and get a bit more velocity and consistency.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Hi-Speed, I have both powders on hand so I will try both loads.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234