Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Cva .58 cal

Boolit Buddy

Cva .58 cal

I have a cva mountain rifle that says it is .58 caliber. The barrel is about 1" across the flats and as I remember the twist was slower than 1:48 for sure since I bought it as a round ball shooter. My question is are the factory .565 roundball if patched work in a .58 caliber? I don't know why I have them since I don't recall owning anything close. Also does 90gr. Of 2f sound like a reasonable load? Nose cap looks pewter or pewter colored. I think the stock is hardwood with a medium brown color. Oh yeah, double set triggers. I sold it to a coworker who was moving to Alaska a dozen or so years later he sold it back to me on his return. I'm guessing it is 30 or 40 years old. I remember turning from a so so shooter to a tack driver by changing patch thickness. Any info would be appreciated.

Hello salvadore,

Sounds like a Big Bore Mountain Rifle, here's what I have listed on it.

The Big Bore Mountain Rifle, introduced in 1979.
    Available in Percussion only, 54 caliber with a 1:66 twist 32” x 1” barrel,
    or 58 caliber with a 1:72 twist 32” x 1” barrel.
    The 54 caliber Flintlock Kit introduced in 1980.
    The 54 caliber Flintlock Kit and the 58 caliber Percussion Rifle dropped in the 1982 catalog.
    The 58 caliber Percussion Kit still listed in 1982 and 1984 catalogs.

I have used the Lyman .560 RB mold in mine, think I used 80gr of FF Goex, haven't shot it much.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the 50. You will likely need a pretty thick patch with that but the .565 RBs will work.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Man
    When the CVA Mountain Rifle came out it was recommended to use the .562 Ball. My one shoots with the .562 ball and 100gr FF with a ticking patch just lubed with olive oil. When I got the gun second hand it came with a .570 mould and that was what the previous owner used for competitions and hunting. The .570 is somewhat hard to load. With the .562 balls the rifle seems quite happy with any lead either soft or wheel weight.
    Interestingly as I make my own powder my .58 is the only Traditional gun I have that won`t group well with homemade powder but shoots well with Goex FF.

Boolit Master
    A gunmag writeup on the 54 calibre Big Bore Mountain Rifle is what sent me down the muzzleloader path 30 some years ago .."gonna get me on of them" well I never saw one in the flesh - I been shooting CVA's ever since - still have a couple 54 cal hawken barrels
    That 58 should be happy with anywhere from 90 grains FFg to 140 . I started all mine with a ball ten thou under and a calico patch, once they are run in (300 or so) move up to a pillow ticking or drill patch, about the thousand mark step up again to a 5 thou under ball.
    The 565 ball will need a thick patch or you could try a 575 ball and calico (might work)
    some heavy loads might need a card wad on the powder to stop patch burnout

I never had a CVA that wasnt a tackhole shooter .....you have a classic ....enjoy it

Boolit Master
    I have that rifle. I'm shooting a .565 ball and .18 thousands pillow ticking or .15 thousand linen with 80gr of 2f. Comfortable and accurate. The ball comes from a Lee .562 mold. Lambs tallow and beeswax for lube.

Boolit Buddy
    You guys are really helpful, thanks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I have that rifle. I'm shooting a .565 ball and .18 thousands pillow ticking or .15 thousand linen with 80gr of 2f. Comfortable and accurate. The ball comes from a Lee .562 mold. Lambs tallow and beeswax for lube.
    Nothing more versatile to load for than a CVA - pipsqueak loads up to full house - accurate all the way! They might have missed some on quality (locks and woodwork) but the geometry of their rifling - they absolutely nailed it.