WidenersLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .308 Remington 700

.308 Remington 700

Anyone experimented with a Remington 700 in .308?
    What boolit loads worked for you?
    Remington's rifling pattern has never found favor from me because I like more land width but sometimes you have to work with what is.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was issued a Rem 700 in .308 as my sniper rifle. Darn good combo.

If you get lucky and get one with a straight throat, it will shoot well. If not, then probably not so impressive. The issue with the oversize grooves is a big deal for the J word shooters but us boolit guys don't care, we just size to fit the throat. But it's got to be pointed in the right direction. If you have good eyes and light you can usually see how it is if you take the barreled action out of the stock.

Boolit Master

Lyman 311467 sized to .310 or .311
    I use the largest bullet that will chamber
    Javilina lube
    20 to 24 Grains of 4227
    You MUST do the load ladder in tenths of a grain, starting low and
    working up, the 4227 is load specific per gun
    CCI-200 primer
    I use LC Match brass.
    ODD HERE, Position the powder in the FRONT, then load.
    I get under an inch groups

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Getting readfy to wring out my Remington 700 M24 clone, it's got the 1 in 11 1/4 twist with the 5R rifling. Going to use the RCBS 165 Sil and some 2400 powder.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

I picked up a very different Remington 700 in .308 about 10 years ago. It has a 16.5” fluted 1:7 barrel and was a non cataloged rifle that had been stocked with one of their crappy green /black stocks and sent out as a SPS rifle. It was sitting in our local gun store and I was after a .308 it was the only one they had (.308) I bought for a tick over $600.00.
    I don’t need any other .308, I restocked it with a HS Precision F class stock, pillared ,glass bedded, Timney trigger , bottom detachable magazine, Steiner 4-16 scope. It shoots the heavy 175-220 gr. Sierra Match Kings into little groups out to 600 meters.
    Per those who were involved with the development of the 300 B/O Remington made some .308 fast twist barrels to play with subsonic 220 gr.SMK’s and Trail Boss powder in .308 with unsatisfactory results thus the 300 B/O came to be.So Remington took the barrels screwed them on to 700 actions and sent them out, how many is anyone’s guess.
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 08-22-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    The 1 in 11 1/4 twist was used for the 175 grain Sierra's and the action is long enough for a rebarrel to 300 win mag if desired on this one. Both barrel and action are stainless and it came in an HS Precision stock. I replaced the trigger with a Timney.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Buddy

Well, the Remington 721 - which morphed into the 700 - is a wonderfully strong action - always a plus for a hand loader - and a very accurate rifle. I don't know how you could do better. I treasure my 721, but I expect that the 700 is just as good.

Just had a surprise. Tried fitting some Hornandy gas checks onto some #311413 boolits. Eh, they were a little tight so heeey, I remembered those ancient boxes of Ideal thin brass gas checks.

Found three boxes that had never ever been opened.
    And they have a smaller inside diameter than the modern ones.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Anyone experimented with a Remington 700 in .308?
    What boolit loads worked for you?
    Remington's rifling pattern has never found favor from me because I like more land width but sometimes you have to work with what is.
    Every Remington 700 308 Win I have ever owned shot the Hornady 165 flat based bullets best, the last batch I chronographed clocked in at 2620 fps out of a
    Remington 600 with a 18.5 inch barrel.
    You should be able to do better with a 22 or 24 inch barrel.
    Some Remington's have a 1 in 12 rifling twist, others have a better 1 in 10 twist.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

I have one. It is the 700 SPS. 20" barrel and 1:12 twist. I use 168 grain match bullets in it. I have tried Lapua brass and match bullets from Everglades Bullets. https://www.evergladesammo.com/bulle...e-bullets.html They are not polished like Sierras or Bergers but they are accurate. Five shots into and inch or less all day. I have also tried Federal 168 grain match and Lapua 167 grain match. They all shoot under an inch. Shooting off a bipod with a 3-9x scope is all it needs. I have added a Magpul floorplate/trigger guard that takes detachable magazines. The magpul floor plate did not fit the factory poly stock so I had to fit it. The only trouble is the removable magazines further limit the cartridge OAL. I also changed out the trigger to a 2 1/2 lb Timney. I also filled the grid inside the forearm with epoxy. Without it the forearm would bear against the barrel.

https://www.snipercentral.com/remington-sps-tactical/

Jim

Remington made a good one here. I may just be lucky but if this is an indication I am pleased.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My last one favored the LBT 165 with reloder 7 for powder . The one I have now has been happy with surplus ball .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

The Rem 700 and it variants generally make decent cast bullet rifles. That said, I have never been impressed with the quality of Remington barrels, but I muddle though.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Not a Rem, but, I have a Savage in .308. It shoots several cast bullets very well with several different powders. The ones I have tried

RCBS 165SIL
    Lyman 311299
    Lee C309-180
    Accurate 31-210E
    NOE 310-165 (XCB)
    Accurate 31-170T (plain base).

All but the plain base will do less than 1.5MOA. The plain base is 2MOA or less and is usually my plinker bullet. The velocities most used are 1800 and 2000fps. Powders IMR4198, IMR3031 and even Varget. For plinking loads I use Blue Dot, 700X and Titegroup at <1100fps.

The one I load the most is the 210gn at 1800 or 2000fps (for 600yd shooting). Usually use IMR4198. All but the RCBS and Lyman are used with powder coat. The 210gn gets nose sized.

I would try 2400 but I haven't had any around in several years.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My 'old' M700 was rebarreled to .308 by Harry McGowan in the mid-1980s and would hold under MOA with any quality jacketed bullet in the 165-175 gr. range and, using the RCBS 30-165SIL, sub-2 MOA @ 200 was pretty much the norm. Today, after literally thousands of rounds, that rifle is packed up awaiting shipment to JES for a rebore to .358 Win. but my heavy-barrel M10 Savage in .308 is, perhaps, even more accurate with the same loads.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Remington 700, 308 Win., Lee 312-155 2r , sized to .310”, gas checked, powder coated, 40 grains IMR 4895, seated to the crimp groove? Will ring an 8” gong at a measured 465 yards! Love it. Your mileage may vary.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

The NOE / Ranch Dog TL310-178-RF GC is the .308 practice bullet of choice for my Ruger Scout. The lube grooves, crimp groove, and front band are located specifically for a SAAMI .308 chamber. As a result, it's a no-brainer to seat. It's a flat nose intended to inflict trauma so it may not be your best long distance target bullet, but for shooting water jugs from field positions it gives you GREAT feedback from your target (MAJOR wa-bloosh! )
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I was reading this thread and figured what the heck,go sling 10 downrange. 1990 12T R700VS .308,bone stock. Cheapy Simmons 6.5-20X44 (l know,just not that good a scope).

I'd been shooting 4198 and just switched to the 4759. Have 8+ pounds and might as well use it up? Haven't shot any of this in over 10 years. The little bit of vertical shows it needs a touch more,probably 19g. Anyway,this was 10 quick as I could load,shoot,load,shoot. The single hole to the left was a slight puff of wind. Started holding into it,about a bullet hole after that one. High shot was #2.

I can shoot better,this was just to put up a quick pic for you all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210915-162520_Gallery.jpg  

Boolit Master
    My Remington 308 is of the 788 persuasion. It only sees jacketed bullets. Loves both SP and BTSP Interlock 150 gr. from Hornady. It will also do well with Speer 165 spitzers.