Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: AR in Grendel?

Boolit Buddy

AR in Grendel?

Gents - I start by asking is this the correct place for this topic? It's not a military caliber, however I just obtained an AR upper in this caliber and am looking for a bit of guidance, if anyone would care to share some knowledge. The caliber is new to me and was going to just use this as a "fun gun" for the range, not a true target or hunting rifle. My original intent, was to pick up 200-300 rds of factory fmj ammo and swap uppers every now and then for a change of pace. Good intentions, aside - probably worst time to start with a new caliber, let alone a "semi auto rifle caliber". I already load for the Creedmoor caliber with a good assortment of jacket bullets on hand and just acquired a set of dies for the Grendel. The hunt is on for new/ used brass and/or brass cased ammo. I've already about the differences in primer size in some brand of cases, but anything else to be aware of for this caliber. I'm quite familiar with the 15/10 series rifles, have loaded and shot alot of ammo thru both platforms, just wondering if there's anything unique to this caliber to be aware of. Appreciate your time/ knowledge - Bill in MA

Its a very accurate round with good power. It was my first ar and its my best AR. Nothing particular about it that i can think of like 300AAC for example that has a few. My favorite powders for it are AR comp and cfe223. You need mag followers specific for the Grendel. I found it easy to get accuracy with it. Maybe ill think of more to say later, but for now i would say you got a very nice caliber to play with. My favorite bullet is the 123 lapua L and lapua brass. I use it a precision rifle for target shooting.

Boolit Buddy

Have you looked at the Alexander Arms site? They have reloading info, including a two volume handbook of loading for the Grendel. They offer the brass, but the site does not indicate status of stock.

Boolit Master
    I bought my wife her first AR in 6.5 Grendel. It's an incredibly accurate rifle that hits hard. She's killed several whitetails and 2 elk with hers. I load hers with 129gr accubonds at around 2550fps. I haven't ever tried cast in it, but I have read about several fellas that have had success with it.
    It's definitely my favourite AR caliber!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help - I knew the cartridge was developed by Alexander, but did not think to check their site. My intention was simply to keep this as I mentioned, just a fun gun that a bit different then the typical 223. Looking forward to getting this on paper to see what it can do. I have a few hundred 120-123 gr bullets I can play with, as I've been using mostly 140s in the Creedmoor. Appreciate the insight - Thanks, Bill

Forgot to add - I did grab 6.5 specific mags from ASC - can only have 10 rounds here, which is fine for my needs.
    Last edited by msp2640; 08-21-2021 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Mag info added

Boolit Grand Master
    You can make/fireform cases from x39 brass but fireform loads will be less than if using 6.5 cases. Case capacity might be a bit less, so you would have to adjust your powder charges after fireforming. My 6.5G loves the Speer 90gr hp and Benchmark powder

Banned

i use 100 grain bullets. Interlocks and ballistic tips. I like the slightly flatter trajectory out to a 300 yards a 100 gives. My gun will push them to almost 2800 fps and thats 243 power. Killed 8 deer last year with it. Longest shots were a bit over 300 yards and those 100s worked great. Problem is bts are hard to find and hornady discontinued the 100 interlock but i jumped while they were available and bought 500 of each and 500 120 gold dots that shoot will in my gun too. Any of those bullets will do moa or a bit better in my gun. As to mags, E lander are the ones to buy. Cost a bit more but they work great. If you buy alexander arms mags your buying e landers at even a higher price.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

My Bro in Law has one and he makes most of his brass from AK brass. I bought him some Real Starline cases and he uses them for his super duper target loads. He has one group shot at 200 yards that is less than .25"!!!

But he's always picking up good quality X39 brass as people just seem to leave it laying around on the range.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all of the added info, it's been quite a learning experience on this caliber, had no idea it was a viable hunting round or was capable of such great accuracy. I thought it was just another "toy" caliber for the AR platform. I was aware of reforming from 7.62 brass - I have only a few of those cases handy, having shot them thru a Colt upper years ago. If it really gets to that point, I'll consider it. Hoping to see Starline make another run soon! In the mean time, I have plenty of other calibers to keep me occupied, while the search continues. Thanks for all the help - Bill in MA!

Boolit Bub
    it's probably unobtanium at this point, but for a while you could buy hornady american gunner ammo for about 70 cents a round. these guys are the place to be for all grendel related things. https://www.65grendel.com/forum/foru...-Sell-or-Trade

I'm using a ballistic advantage hanson barrel. it's dropped 2 antelope and 4 pigs. I'm using 123 grain sst's, and they mostly go through and through. If I can ever find any, I'm going to try the 90 grain tnt's next.

Boolit Master

I have an Ar15 in 6.5 Grendel with an 18" Stainless barrel 1/8 from Brownell's, (They refuse to tell me the brand or maker), and I think it is absolutely perfect for deer, coyotes, etc in the AR15.

Hornady 123 HPBT, Hornady 123 gr ELD red-tip and the 123 gr SST with a good charge of IMR 8208 all shoot nice, small groups out of my rifle.

Got the second book from Alexander Arms for reloading the Grendel and I highly recommend it. It deals mainly with loads and bullets for hunting. Excellent recommendations and examples of bullet construction and performance for taking game animals.

I really like this caliber in AR!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Hickok is spot on IMO.

Boolit Grand Master

I think the 6.5 Grendel is the best thing to happen to an AR platform. A couple of years ago I put one together to see what makes it tick. It is the MOST ACCURATE AR I own. It shoots consistently under 1" @ 100 yds and with it's preferred loads outshoot most of my bolt guns. It is easy to load for and if there is a problem with it, it is finding bullets to reload for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5 grendel 2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	288695

Name:	6.29.2020.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	288696

With it's best load

Name:	6.5 GII 7.22 a.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	288697
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!