Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Powder coat questions

Boolit Mold

Powder coat questions

Hi guys
    Been paddling around here a little and want to see if I am on the right track
    Would like to try shake and bake coating a large multi groove boolit. It casts a bit undersize so that’s my main reason to try this.

Is it realistic to expect an increase of .001 with one coat of s and b?

Sounds like one that covers well with not much fuss is Smokes clear. What about bright colors? What covers well in the red yellow orange range?

Thanks Jeff

Boolit Master

Yes! You can add some width to a cast boolit with powder coat. Expect about .01 to .02 no more. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    All smokes colors work well. I have not tried clear but want to.And the post before me meant .001 to .002.

I have smokes clear & it works great. The fastest I have driven clear coated bullets is 1615 fps in my 38-55 with 260gr bullets. No problems of any kind. Bore shows no sign of lead streaks. When I push a tight fitting patch thru the bore I don't get those silver lead freckles on the patch like I did with conventionally lubed bullets. As far as dense cover J.D. Green seems to work quite well. The orange /brown also covers well. Attachment 287729

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys!

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	450Bushmaster2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	287793

You said a large multi-grooved bullet. As you can see the green does a great job on this 45 cal that I use on my 450 Bushmaster.

Boolit Bub

Name:	450Bushmaster2.jpg 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	287793

You said a large multi-grooved bullet. As you can see the green does a great job on this 45 cal that I use on my 450 Bushmaster.

Boolit Bub

Name:	yellowslug.JPG 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	287794
    You should be able to find a good yellow too. This is a 9mm, not the large caliber you mentioned, but I like the green on the 450 so much I haven't tried any other colors.

Boolit Bub
    One thing to watch with the brighter colors like yellow is the bake time. The longer you "over" bake them the darker the yellow will get. Almost like your "burning" the color. I find if you stay at the recommended time, the yellow is much brighter. Over bake and you end up with a dried mustard color.

Boolit Master
    In my experience I've gotten the best coverage from Smoke's signal blue. It works great. I've also tried bacon grease, yellow-green, flame red, and copper (discontinued). The signal blue is my favorite. I've also tried Eastwood Ford light blue, and it works good too. I haven't tried yellow or orange. I work on highways so there's just something not right about a bullet that's colored "safety orange". It reminds me too much of the traffic cones.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for responses!

Boolit Master
    FWIW, I always get at least .001" increase with S&B, sometimes closer to .002"