Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Corbin Shotgun Slugs?????

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri

Corbin Shotgun Slugs?????

I know that this is somewhat Off-Topic, ...as the product in question is swaged: .....But I'm looking for anyone who has any "hands-on" experience with these slugs shown on the Corbin website.

Has anyone had any actual shooting experience with these monsters???

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

I've seen them sold at a gun show loaded with a crimp roll. They were advertised as "exploding slugs" the vendor said you fill the exposed nose with blackpowder and then slide a primer in the hole. Sounded like a recipe for a prosthetic hand. When I asked if he'd tried it he laughed and said "are you kidding, I've got all my fingers"

I've seen them on the corbin sight and just can't figure what they're for? seems like sectional density would be low.

Boolit Grand Master

klcarroll:

I was just going to post details of my experiences with my cast finned slug (very similar to the Corbin but solid) and Rocket slugs that diehard sent me to try (4 finned slugs) but I see you were following the thread.

I ran into several problems with finned slugs. Mostly I had trouble with fin collapse and support wads deforming or shearing around the fins. I even turned slugs down to fit into cushion leg shotcups and had problems.

I solved the fin collapse by heat treating alloy slugs. Wad shear remained a problem though even using nitro card wads.

I did get good nose on flight in the end but groups were not good.

If the Corbin slugs are swaged, they must be pure or nearly pure lead. The fins look "substantial" but I suspect collapse will be a problem except with very slow powder of using lightish loads.

Do you know if the Corbins are bore size or sized to fit into a shotcup?

If you get any I would be very interested in the results. Mine were largely a failure.

Currently I am pursuing the attached wad style like Brenneke and AQ. My new slugs are showing promise but I have not had time to do any more testing lately. Hope fully soon.

Please keep us posted if you get any of these Corbins.

Longbow