Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Gas Check Seating with Star Lubesizer

Boolit Buddy

Gas Check Seating with Star Lubesizer

Hi,

Does the Star lubesizer do a good job seating checks (bullet nose down), or should checks be seated with a separate tool (e.g., the NOE) and then put through the lubesizer nose down (so punch pushing on the check)?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I seat all my checks on a Star, running them nose first. Unless your gas check shank is undersized, you shouldn't have an issue.

Winelover

I've never had a problem seating gas checks with my Star. For a good many years, I would tap the gas checks onto the base before sizing. I also used the Lyman gas check seater set where it would just seat the gas check, then run it through the Star. Finally one day I decided to experiment. I dropped the bullet nose down into the Star sizing die, started the bullet with a gentle push. Once the bullet was squared in the die, I placed the gas check on the base and finished sizing and lubing. All went well and will probably be how I go about gas checking and sizing from now on. The one exception being, I want the bullets ready with the gas check on them, but not yet sized and lubed. That way, I have the option of sizing them to what is best suited for the project at hand, and I don't any concerns about bullet drying up, etc. A Lyman gas check seater and a cheap single stage press can come in mighty handy at times.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy

Good to know guys. And thanks Murphy for the idea of centering the bullet first. Smart.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Once the bullet was squared in the die, I placed the gas check on the base and finished sizing and lubing. All went well and will probably be how I go about gas checking and sizing from now on.
    I'll try this way next - I've always been clicking the checks onto the base by hand first...
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    The Star is so much better for applying gas checks than any other technique that I feel quite abused if I have to do it in the old Lyman because I don't have a Star die to fit. If the gas check goes on the shank easily then it hardly matters how you do the job but if the check is a little (or a lot) tight then I press the boolit in until it is a bit below flush, then place the check in position and complete the size/lube stroke. The only time this doesn't work well is if you are not reducing the diameter of the boolit in the die: you have to have some boolit sizing resistance in order to get the check seated consistently.

Boolit Buddy

Are you gents using a flat punch or dished punch with the star?

Boolit Master

Flat here, made by Lathesmith here on the forum.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    The Star is so much better for applying gas checks than any other technique that I feel quite abused if I have to do it in the old Lyman because I don't have a Star die to fit.
    Have you perhaps looked into getting the NOE adapter + sizing dies for your Star? I have and will never look back - it's a wonderful system and inexpensive. I have the adapter and about 9 of their sizers now for my Star (and a few punches in different diameters from Lathesmith, as mentioned in my previous post above).
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master
    I too, prefer the flat punches..............rather than the dished.

Winelover