Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone know what parent brass needed to make 52-56 spencer?

Boolit Master

Anyone know what parent brass needed to make 52-56 spencer?

A friend of mine has an old Spencer and a Sharps and Hankins that use this cartridge.
    The spencer has a center fire conversion the Sharps does not but looks like it could be converted easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0943.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I looked in my "Cartridges of the World Book" Found a 56-52 Spencer? Was that what you are searching for? There was a 56-46 Spencer "A" rim bottle necked, 56-50 Spencer Carbine "B" rim straight wall, 56-52 Spencer Rifle "B" rim straight wall, 56-52 Spencer Necked "A" rim bottle necked, 56-56 Spencer Carbine bottle neck "B" rim straight wall. All Spencer's. All Rimmed cases. Please confirm what you have. I'll scan the appropriate sheet and post it here below. May have to do a Cerro safe cast of the breech to see exactly what you have.

Boolit Master
    Handbook of Cartridge Conversions only has one version of Sharps and it says use 450 Nitro Express cases-- not sure that helps much
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

It's a 56-52 Spencer, found 56-50 spencer brass at starline brass. Now have to find a mold or someone who casts the 350 gr RN for it.

Boolit Bub
    AFAIK, owners of original carbines use .50-70 Government brass. Starline warns on their website that the extractor on originals may not function with their brass, since it's made for the Taylor's replica carbines/rifles and has a smaller rim diameter.

Boolit Master
    Second the post saying the 56-50 Starline brass having a small rim. My Peabody carbine in 56-50 rim fire will barely get caught by it's extractor/ejector. Agree to use Starline 50-70 brass cut down and it has a larger rim diameter. Frank

Boolit Master
    The 56-56 was the original 1860 government cartridge for the Spencer. In 1865 the government went to the 56-50 but Spencer didn't like the cartridge and came out with the 56-52. There really isn't any significant difference between the 56-50 and 56-52 both can be fired in the Spencer rifle or carbine of 56-50 caliber. I tried the star-line brass in my Spencer and as pointed out by others the rim is much smaller than the original cartridges and in my carbine would not extract. I made cases for mine from 50-70 cases and they work. Save yourself some money and headaches and use 50-70 brass.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

The original 52 Spencer fired a rimfire 52 cal, looked similar to an oversized 44 Henry cartridge. If it was converted to centerfire, it could be marked 52 but it could be any centerfire BP case that could be chambered into the original 52’s barrel. Only way to really tell for sure is to make chamber cast. It is probably a case that will fit in and feed through the action and the tube magazine, should be the same OAL and outside diameter at the rim as the 52 rimfire. Do not know about the Sharps.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers