WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Best Dillon Expander Die for 9mm Cast

Boolit Buddy

Best Dillon Expander Die for 9mm Cast

My Dillon 9mm expander die measures 0.354" in diameter. My 38/357 expander measures the same 0.354".

Does anyone have a solution for a different expander in the 0.356" range that is compatible with a Dillon powder measure?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

Check out Unique Tek

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Check out Unique Tek
    Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Check out Unique Tek
    That looks like the cat's pajamas. Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I use mr bullet feeder expander works kind a like lyman m die but made for the dillon powder measure

Boolit Master

Ive been meaning to post a note,on this subject.i bought a photoescape,,and it is sweet!.357 size boolits,fit in the expanded necks,,perfect,and the smaller step is perfect size,for neck tension.highly recommend.

Boolit Master
    Just contact Lathesmith's Custom Dies in the Vendor Sponsor section...tell him what you are doing, he'll know what you need....or tell him what you want and he will make it.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

RFL,

The solution my Pop and I arrived at for 9mm cast production (using a .357" diameter bullet) on his XL 650 was to use a Lee sizing die for the .38 S&W, which is nominally set up to load for .360"-ish diameter bullets. We run the standard Dillon powder hardware and Dillon seating and TC dies for the remaining stations. Working great! The only flaw in the plan was I had to get a SECOND set of Lee .38 S&W dies to keep my old Webley in business. Fortunately, those are cheap (and good dies).
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a UniqueTek expansion die coming. I'm hoping that will be the trick piece of kit I need.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Just contact Lathesmith's Custom Dies in the Vendor Sponsor section...tell him what you are doing, he'll know what you need....or tell him what you want and he will make it.
    This is what I ended up doing. Lathesmith was very patient with me, putting up with my somewhat harebrained proposals. He made me what amounts to a custom M style expander die for my SDB.

Boolit Master
    been using the factory Dillon"F" for 20 years with coated cast bullets... have never had any issues...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I wound up making my own out of drill rod. The Dillon 9mm expander miked only .353, which was too small for .358 bullets which my 9mm's like. I made my new plug @ .356, and a little longer, so I could use heavier bullets if I wished, without swaging the rear of the bullet. The bullets seat easy, with minimum effort now.

Boolit Master
    I always buy grade 8, 5/8 inch bolts and make whatever I want on my lathe. For 9mm I use my Dillon 38 sizer which is .356 but I had to make an extension for it because it wasn't long enough for the short 9mm. If I shoot it much in the future I will make one specifically for it as I am still in the experimental stage shooting a 115 grain Saeco SWC in my modified Beretta 92FS that I got a barrel bushing in the front that threads on the barrel and some hard steel for the slide so it will stay stable.

Boolit Master
    I got Lathesmith to make me one. My Sigs didn't like the factory expander. He made me one at 356. My PC or Hitek coated bullets are sized 3578. Pulled bullets after seating measure 3575-6. My Sigs love those rounds.