Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Century Hand Ejector

Boolit Master

New Century Hand Ejector

Thought I had posted before, could not find a thread.go figure!

Have you ever dreamt about hitting the lottery? Or participated in a thread about “What would you buy if you hit the mega thing?”

I posted on such a thread. As many know, I enjoy S&W 45 ACP revolvers and have a few. But the revolver that has recently got me thinking is one of the New Century revolvers submitted by S&W to the Army Trials of 1907. These particular revolvers were entirely new and chambered for a new cartridge. S&W hoped to get the Government contract and sell a bunch to the citizenry also. The revolver was the New Century Hand Ejector and the cartridge was the 45 S&W Special. Yes, the Forty FIVE S&W Special. (S&W later introduced the New Century Hand Ejector, aka Triplelock, to the public in 1908 chambered for the 44 S&W Special.)

The Army chose a different handgun and the rest is history.

But, the 45 Special Triplelock intrigues me and what I posted was to the effect, …I would love to own one of the Trial revolvers but since only two are known, it probably would not happen. But, I could be just as happy with a replica. So if anyone has a better TL, let me know…

Well, don’t you know, a fellow member of that forum reached out to me and he had such a beater, a 455 New Century. The action was nearly frozen and the cylinder was equally reluctant to swing out. It could be mine for a song. As I read the pm I thought to myself, too bad - we just bought a house. Apparently, I thought out loud for my wife wanted to know what prompted the comment. I explained, she said , “oh”. 15 minutes later she asked if I was aware of the current price of the 455 Triple Lock. Not really says I so she quotes from the completed auctions of maybe 1/2 dozen and then says “Tell him you’ll take it!” I about fall out of my chair! Fast forward several weeks and the New Century arrives in my hands. Not nearly as bad as described but not pristine either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F071D3ED-9A9A-4E14-B7DC-0E2C3C553CDF.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	287655

Name:	E7C60BB9-E6BE-4A04-900D-CED3D4FAB5D0.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	287654

The action was so stiff, my ffl bathed it in Ballistol to get it to move at all. I got it home and did a swift plunge in acetone and then attacked it with a brass bristle tooth brush. The bore looks good but it has been altered to 45 long Colt but that was disclosed.

The lanyard stud and ring were missing and there was a chunk of the recoil shield missing.

Name:	3D7DB116-118C-4CE8-B219-2E094395CFDD.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	287656

Name:	21185507-CECC-474E-8993-11D59D0225F3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	287657

I wanted to see if the conversion to 45 Colt was done properly so I dropped a 45 long Colt cartridge into the chamber. It dropped in nicely. I did the same with a 45 ACP round and yelped in surprise when the cartridge bounced of my toe! The chambers had been bored clear through. Not sure if this is proper but I don’t think the cylinder left Springfield this way!

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/att...9&d=1629425437

Speaking of leaving the factory, this was in a shipment of many that left on 14 September and were delivered to the Remington Arms Corp, procurement agents for the British was effort.

I found a stud and ring

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/att...0&d=1629425587

I have also found a NOS cylinder for a 38 HD which I will have reworked to handle the the 45 Special cartridge.

Name:	E7B2E381-520A-421E-976A-A0C4AC151273.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	287661

I will keep posting as things change.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7757ABA7-9186-4B17-ADBF-F26DE4DE3232.jpg   6D3F5D0C-AAC7-43CD-87BD-3C2203F38B4C.jpg  
    Last edited by StrawHat; 08-19-2021 at 10:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Oh, man, this is a project that quickens me own little heart! I love stuff like this. I'm quite interested in how well the converted 38 cylinder works in the triple lock.

Boolit Master
    That's pretty amazing! I'm looking forward to hearing about this journey.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    That's a cool pistol with a very interesting story. I like the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Oh, man, this is a project that quickens me own little heart! I love stuff like this. I'm quite interested in how well the converted 38 cylinder works in the triple lock.
    That cylinder is from an N frame 38 S&W Special. The tricky part is finding one with the correct thread direction for the TL extractor rod. I chose that cylinder because I did not want recessed rims. I believe the magnum cylinders would also work.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    That's pretty amazing! I'm looking forward to hearing about this journey.

As it unfolds, I will post.

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    That's a cool pistol with a very interesting story. I like the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Thank you. Some of the photos have turned out well. I am learning each day.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

NEEEEEEEEEAT!

Given the bored-out chambers, you might consider trying some hollow-base .455 MKII bullets, though their noses might be too long to fit if using un-cut .45 Colt cases.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    NEEEEEEEEEAT!

Given the bored-out chambers, you might consider trying some hollow-base .455 MKII bullets, though their noses might be too long to fit if using un-cut .45 Colt cases.
    I got this revolver fully intending to use it to replicate the Army Trials New Century. Once I discovered the cylinder situation, I immediately considered the 480 Achilles.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    I'm going to show my ignorance here - is the 45 S&W Special between the 45 Schofield and 45 Colt?
    I'm not seeing anything about that cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I'm going to show my ignorance here - is the 45 S&W Special between the 45 Schofield and 45 Colt?
    I'm not seeing anything about that cartridge.

The 45 S&W Special was also known as the 45 Frankford and produced only for the 1906 trials. The bar has from Frankford had numerous problems and made the revolvers look bad so S&W sought permission to have the cartridge built in a commercial ammunition plant. That batch was very good.

Without checking my notes, the Special was shorter than the 45 S&W but I do not recall by how much. Ballistics were impressive, a 230 grain bullet approaching 1000 FPS.

Kevin

Boolit Master

Short of taking her back to the original .455 (may not be possible with the rim thickness your .38 cylinder is set for), I think you're on a very cool track.

I got a bit of a chuckle out of how the little quirks of history can give us a beast of a revolver like the Triple Lock chambered in something as mild as the British service round. Kind of a "Grandma only drives her Ferrari at 40 mph for the 12 block loop between home, the pharmacy, and the grocery store" situation.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Name:	7757ABA7-9186-4B17-ADBF-F26DE4DE3232.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	287781

so how's that gonna werk?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post

Name:	7757ABA7-9186-4B17-ADBF-F26DE4DE3232.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	287781

so how's that gonna werk?
    I believe you sight it with a mirror and shoot stuff behind you!

Kevin

Kevin, are those the original stocks in the first pics you posted? If they are, are they numbered to the gun? Elmer said that was the finest revolver ever made and he shot more than a few. I am drooling over this project, good luck.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Just curious - is the serial number stamped on the butt by the lanyard ring?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Kevin, are those the original stocks in the first pics you posted? If they are, are they numbered to the gun? Elmer said that was the finest revolver ever made and he shot more than a few. I am drooling over this project, good luck.
    No, those stocks are not original to the New Century revolver. I believe they are from the Classic series of revolvers like this Model 22-4 with a 5 1/2” barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 02CACD90-CBCD-425A-AE0E-28C62744A8EB.jpg   71FFE5D7-127C-4AB1-98BE-13325A1B0222.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Just curious - is the serial number stamped on the butt by the lanyard ring?
    Yes, in post one the serial number is shown.

Name:	2634396F-46E2-4A1C-8F43-E6CB5210A57F.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	288106

Edited to add better photo.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 08-30-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Boolit Master

I think those grips are aftermarket, not S&W. The escutcheons look like federal eagles, not the S&W logo. I forget which company used those.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I think those grips are aftermarket, not S&W. The escutcheons look like federal eagles, not the S&W logo. I forget which company used those.
    You made me go and take a second look at the grips. Good eyes, I would have used them for years and not noticed that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AF665B4D-10C7-4684-9ABE-61758D8BA1AA.jpg  

Boolit Master

Ah, with that closer look, I can see the 'Sile' mark below the eagle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    The 45 S&W Special was also known as the 45 Frankford and produced only for the 1906 trials. The bar has from Frankford had numerous problems and made the revolvers look bad so S&W sought permission to have the cartridge built in a commercial ammunition plant. That batch was very good.

Without checking my notes, the Special was shorter than the 45 S&W but I do not recall by how much. Ballistics were impressive, a 230 grain bullet approaching 1000 FPS.

Kevin
    Case length was .918 to .923 and the COAL was1.30 and the rim was thinner than .45 S&W, more like the .455 Eley............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast