WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Turk Mausers Driving Me Crazy!

Boolit Master

Turk Mausers Driving Me Crazy!

I have 3 Turkish Mausers, one complete rifle that I built from a complete action another complete action and a partial action from an estate.
    The partial action from the estate is a 1943, the other complete action is 1939 and the complete rifle has no markings.
    Upon comparing the 3 I found that the 39 and 43 have different bolt lengths, different cocking pieces and the area where the cocking piece attaches to the firing pin attaches is different! The firing pins are appropriately the same length.
    I got lucky after figuring out the difference because the firing pin, spring and cocking piece that I need are more common than the other ones.
    My machinist teacher always told me to get a complete rifle because searching for the small parts will drive you crazy and cost plenty! This adventure is definitely proving him right!
    Stay tuned for the next episode when I get the parts I ordered to see if they are correct!

Boolit Buddy
    It sounds like one of them was based on the Mauser intermediate action like the Yugo M24 & M48 rifles that were imported about 15-20 years ago.

Boolit Master
    The turks ordered whatever they could get, and then modified/updated them over the years. I've see a modified of standard and intermediate actions with both small and large ring setups used.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I recommend this book

Boolit Master
    What ya Need...
    https://www.turkmauser.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Thanks!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    I recommend this book

I had it for the first Mauser that I built but a bitch named Katrina ruined it!
    For the cost of the book I can get the parts that I need, but I would like to replace it.
    I think that this is going to be the last Mauser that I build from parts!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I had it for the first Mauser that I built but a bitch named Katrina ruined it!
    For the cost of the book I can get the parts that I need, but I would like to replace it.
    I think that this is going to be the last Mauser that I build from parts!
    Drop me a PM...Maybe I can help...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    I recommend this book

Midway has free shipping with $49 purchase and I wanted some other stuff so it is on the way!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Drop me a PM...Maybe I can help...
    I will do that!

Boolit Master
    There are three basic types of Turkish Mauser actions, and all three usually use small ring threads in the receivers even if the action is a "large ring". The first was the 1893 Turkish Mauser. This is a true small ring action. These were originally in 7.65x53 Belgian Mauser, but were later re-barreled to 8x57. All 1893 Turkish Mauser's are antiques because they were all made prior to 1898. If a different date is stamped on one, it is the date it was converted to 8x57, not the manufacture date.
    The second type of Turkish Mauser is the model 1903. This is an intermediate length action that has a large (1898 style) receiver ring, but with small ring threads. The 1903 uses a shorter bolt, and the spacing on the action bolts is closer than on a standard action. The ejector box on a 1903 has a weird curved top that you don't usually see on most other Mausers.
    The most common Turkish Mauser is the M38. This uses a standard 1898 receiver (except that it also uses small ring threads), and any part that would work on the various standard type 1898 Mausers will fit this action. The M38 was always chambered in 8x57 Mauser. Though the M38 action is fully as strong as any other Mauser 98, rechambering to magnum cartridges is generally frowned upon because the small ring barrel threads don't offer the hoop strength of large ring threads. Though the 1893 Mausers are best off with low pressure cartridges, the 1898 style M38's are adequate for use with any standard cartridge (cartridges based on the x57, 308, or 30-06 case).
    If you could post photos of your actions several people here could tell you exactly what you have and where to look for parts for them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    There are three basic types of Turkish Mauser actions, and all three usually use small ring threads in the receivers even if the action is a "large ring". The first was the 1893 Turkish Mauser. This is a true small ring action. These were originally in 7.65x53 Belgian Mauser, but were later re-barreled to 8x57. All 1893 Turkish Mauser's are antiques because they were all made prior to 1898. If a different date is stamped on one, it is the date it was converted to 8x57, not the manufacture date.
    The second type of Turkish Mauser is the model 1903. This is an intermediate length action that has a large (1898 style) receiver ring, but with small ring threads. The 1903 uses a shorter bolt, and the spacing on the action bolts is closer than on a standard action. The ejector box on a 1903 has a weird curved top that you don't usually see on most other Mausers.
    The most common Turkish Mauser is the M38. This uses a standard 1898 receiver (except that it also uses small ring threads), and any part that would work on the various standard type 1898 Mausers will fit this action. The M38 was always chambered in 8x57 Mauser. Though the M38 action is fully as strong as any other Mauser 98, rechambering to magnum cartridges is generally frowned upon because the small ring barrel threads don't offer the hoop strength of large ring threads. Though the 1893 Mausers are best off with low pressure cartridges, the 1898 style M38's are adequate for use with any standard cartridge (cartridges based on the x57, 308, or 30-06 case).
    If you could post photos of your actions several people here could tell you exactly what you have and where to look for parts for them.
    To go along with what 405grain has posted. The 1903 Turk has large ring, standard size 98 external dimensions. The 1909 Peruvian is identical. Except. The 1903 Turk has the front ring counterbored so that the hand guard can fit inside, which the 1909 Peruvian does not have. If one removes the counterbore ring, for sporterizing, then the length will be about 1/8"-3/16" shorter. A standard 98 style hinged trigger guard will fit, as will many other 98 parts. But, if one uses a 98 style hinged TG, the feed ramp will overhang the front of the magazine box. So, either the feed ramp will need to be shortened, which is easy, or a small filler piece needs to be put in the front of the magazine box.

I will add that the 1893 Turks had a magazine cutoff feature that was removed when they were converted to 8mm. Also, they were made in the Mauser Orbendorf plant- Genuine Mausers, but only marked in the Ottoman Empire language. Trivia that doesn't help the OP's question.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have several complete Turks and some I've bubbaed. I was looking at something on the net and it said that one of the best ways to bubba a Turk was to get one of the excellent small ring 6.5-55 barrels for a Swede and screw it into the Turk action. It will obviously need to be head spaced. The writer said that these were called a Twede after the conversion. They could be sportified or original but the fun was universal. I have been saving a Turk for just this conversion but the Swede barrels have been elusive. I am thinking with Lapua brass and the over sized action they could be loaded hot with no down side.

Boolit Master

I got my problem solved with a standard 98 cocking piece, firing pin and spring! So from the descriptions above I have two M38s and a 1903!
    Thanks for sharing the information and helping me find the parts I needed!

Boolit Master
    ebb: Numrich gun parts has been carrying sporter contour small ring barrels in both 6.5x55 and 257 Roberts for a while. The 6.5x55 barrels are currently sold out, but I have seen them come back in stock from time to time. One of the M38 Turk actions that I have stashed away has one of these 6.5x55 barrels with it, and is destined to become a "Twede". Another M38 Turk is already a 257 Bob, and is just waiting for my lazy butt to finish the stock. From everything I've heard a 6.5x55 barrel on a '98 Turkish action is the cat's meow.

Boolit Master
    Thanks 405 i will look. I have a brand new 6.5 mm barrel that i had contoured when Montana Rifleman cleared out their stock. All of the others i got from them have shot real well but this one my be shorter than wise for a 6.5-55.