Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood lathe

Boolit Grand Master

Wood lathe

Been looking for a cheap, small, wood lathe to try my hand at making mold handles.
    Found one on craigs list for free .
    She said it didn't work.
    For free, I figure nothing to lose.
    Came with some extra parts, but no chisels.
    Seems all it needs is a new belt.
    On order.
    Anyone know of a cheap duplicator I might try????
    Attachment 287627

Boolit Master
    You should check out homemadetools.net, they have several duplicators. https://www.homemadetools.net/site/s...icator&Search=

HTH!

Bill

Banned

Man…….the price was right! Keep us updated.

Boolit Buddy
    Mold handles now, pens are next. Been down that road.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    Mold handles now, pens are next. Been down that road.
    I managed to avoid that problem with the wood lathes. Not so successful at avoiding the similar problem with metal cutting lathes...

"Hi! My name is Bill, and I'm a Toolohaulic."

Moderator Emeritus

Sweet deal, china puts all kinds of labels on that lathe, Harborfrieght and Grizzly just to name a couple.
    Mine has the Harborfrieght tag. While reading on the internet, it was mentioned that the belts not lasting real long and it's a real weird size, so after a search, I seen Grizzly has the best price ($4), so I ordered a couple spares (just in case) as well as a spare live center. The one that came with my HF machine became a bit stiff...it'll probably heat up and seize, sooner or later.

As for chisels, I like the vintage, USA made, Sears craftsman chisels, they can be found on ebay for about the same price as the new chinese chisels at Harborfrieght. The Benjamin's Best chisels are china made, but are made from good tool steel and are probably the best priced new chisels.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Old files make great chisels. Just grind the shape you want and go make chips.

Boolit Master

If you need belts give these folks a try. They have almost everything associated with belts. On my sawmill their belts outlast everything else I have tried.
    https://www.vbeltsupply.com/
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Best duplicator on the market is VEGA.

http://www.vegawoodworking.com/produ...he-duplicator/

I have one and it is excellent for duplicating anything you can get between centers!

NOVA is a good lathe. Used to be made in Oz. I have one of their ornamental turning engine attachments for my BIG lathe. Quality thru & thru.

This VEGA is made for that size of lathe you were given. Spend some money on a good duplicator since you got a multi hundred lathe for free!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Sweet deal, china puts all kinds of labels on that lathe, Harborfrieght and Grizzly just to name a couple.
    Mine has the Harborfrieght tag. While reading on the internet, it was mentioned that the belts not lasting real long and it's a real weird size, so after a search, I seen Grizzly has the best price ($4), so I ordered a couple spares (just in case) as well as a spare live center. The one that came with my HF machine became a bit stiff...it'll probably heat up and seize, sooner or later.

As for chisels, I like the vintage, USA made, Sears craftsman chisels, they can be found on ebay for about the same price as the new chinese chisels at Harborfrieght. The Benjamin's Best chisels are china made, but are made from good tool steel and are probably the best priced new chisels.
    Checks. Grizzly and the Central Machinery brand actually have a lot of overlap in compatibility. You have to do a little digging to find the "Mother Model", but if you can do that, Grizzly typically has replacement parts for lathes that Harbor Freight doesn't carry any more. That was the case with my 10x20, which was compatible with the G4000, and SC4 lathes.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Grand Master
    Belt already ordered through evil bay.
    I've been searching evil bay for chisels.
    Would like some old Craftsman ones, but not to many for sale.
    Lots of chinese junk.
    But they are cheap.
    I was looking for a Vega duplicator, but didn't find to many.
    They are expensive.
    I did find this one for a reasonable price.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/31362732779...53.m1438.l2649
    Another project to get to....................sooner or later.

Boolit Master
    Alstep hit the nail on the head files make good tools, round flat square all have different uses, old rifle barrels can make some good gouges as well but take a bit of work. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master

As far as duplicators go, unless you are OCD your eyes are adequate. Get the thing running, get a gouge, and give it a try. Go on u-tube a look at between center wood turning and I'll bet you get some ideas. Have you access to wood? Dry or wet, it doesn't matter for practice. Wear a face shield if turning wet wood, or have a towel within reach!

Looks as if you may need a tool rest. Grizzley tools has several that should work.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Belt already ordered through evil bay.
    I've been searching evil bay for chisels.
    Would like some old Craftsman ones, but not to many for sale.
    Lots of chinese junk.
    But they are cheap.
    I was looking for a Vega duplicator, but didn't find to many.
    They are expensive.
    I did find this one for a reasonable price.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/31362732779...53.m1438.l2649
    Another project to get to....................sooner or later.
    Never encountered that brand, but is is built very similar to the VEGA units. The chain drive is the secret.

$154 is cheap for that little one....about 1/2 the price of a new one.

If I did not have one , I would buy that!

Many times I have learned "the best things in life are not cheap"! Buy the best once................and own/use it for a lifetime.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    As far as duplicators go, unless you are OCD your eyes are adequate. Get the thing running, get a gouge, and give it a try. Go on u-tube a look at between center wood turning and I'll bet you get some ideas. Have you access to wood? Dry or wet, it doesn't matter for practice. Wear a face shield if turning wet wood, or have a towel within reach!

Looks as if you may need a tool rest. Grizzley tools has several that should work.
    For making simple rough shapes like common mold handles, repeatability by eye is probably good enough. The kind of work I do (fine antique repair and reproduction) I need to take an original turning, use it as a master pattern on the VEGA, and turn as many as 8 EXACT duplicates with fine details. The VEGA is perfect for that.

If I were to make simple mold handles or pens (which I have made over 50 of in years past), I would do it by eye and a set of calipers or use a story stick.

As far as cutting tools..........again buy the best you can afford. Forget grinding old files! No fine control when using them. Smooth HHS against a hardened rest gives you total precise control, not trying to slide a file across the rest!!!!!!!! OMG. I have every gouge and chisel Sorby makes/made. They produce the best cuts/finishes and rarely ever need sharpening, even when cutting hard woods like I do. The are made of true HHS metal (like metal lathe cutters) and hold an edge almost forever. But I probably have over $2,000 invested in the complete set. I used an old Craftsman 12 piece set when I started out turning 40 years ago and the old ones in the blue box are not a bad alloy. They just do not make consumer grade tools today like in the old days!!!!!! Thanks again......... to CHINA.......for pure garbage tools and the VIRUS!

Boolit Grand Master
    Since this is a small wood lathe, would short handle chisels work OK????
    Found a set that is 6" long, made in Japan, and one that is 14" long, made in china.
    I'm thinking the longer the better.

Going to try and order the duplicator.

Boolit Master
    Nova lathes are (or were) made by technatool in New Zealand. It’s one of the better small woodturning lathes. Pens, pepper mills, miniature bird houses, christmas ornaments and small bowls are easily within it’s capabilities.

I would not get the duplicator until you have a need. I almost bought one 20 years ago, but I have never missed not having one.

About learning, use tree branches that aren’t too dry. Don’t expect to get a good result turning palm, it’s a difficult wood to get a clean cut. Learn to sharpen!

I've never run one that small, longer handles on chisels give you more control and leverage. "Learn to sharpen" is superb advice, that will happen if you make your own tools- but that is time consuming. Craigslist may be your best option for $275 you can have a mini-shop. https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...359604594.html
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Grand Master
    This might help, as I've found them to be very good and friendly folks: Al Bino Industrial Belting. 610 - 670 - 1603

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Since this is a small wood lathe, would short handle chisels work OK????
    Found a set that is 6" long, made in Japan, and one that is 14" long, made in china.
    I'm thinking the longer the better.

Going to try and order the duplicator.
    The handle length is NOTHING to do with the length of the bed! It is the mechanical advantage you have with the longer handles and the stability they give the turner. I only use short stubby ones on teeny diameter work on my small wood lathe.

A small lathe can just as easily catch and throw a short chisel as a large one. stick to at least 12-14 " handlers. I have some that 24 inches!

It's all about stability and safety.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast