Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: First Veggies Of The Year

First Veggies Of The Year

It always drives me nuts when a bunch of you are already getting your first veggies from the garden and we had'nt even planted ours for another couple weeks yet.
    We finally ate our first (and only so far) tomato 2 days ago. Dug a potato hill that same day and it did very well.
    Last night I got a dozen nice jalapeno's, 2 cucumbers and a few small onions. Most of the onions look good but these little white ones died off for some reason.
    Squash and pumpkins are growing but very small. Dont know how they will turn out.
    Zucchini and yellow squash have been going for a couple weeks.

Leaves on some of the trees are turning yellow and have been falling already. I might even light a fire in the stove tonight. Yesterday was 100* and today its 48* and a little rainy (thank God). We've only had 2.2" of moisture for the last 12 months. At least this rain will knock some of the smoke out of the air. That would be a big plus.

Boolit Master

That is a bleak garden report. Kudos to you for working on it anyway. May your small harvest be delicious and memorable.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

I'm on the opposite end of it too. I will try to get some tomatoes out in late September to early October. Meanwhile my avocados are looking good, the same for my bananas. Coconuts still have a long way to go.

Boolit Grand Master

ATTABOY ! Never say die !

It always amazes me how people living in Northern states like yours and Montana can grow anything at all ... the weather just doesn't give y'all much of a break ... 10 months of Freezing and 2 months not frozen ... How the heck can grow anything ... even weeds need more warm weather time .

We having a good pepper crop , the Tomatoes are on their second round of setting fruit but all my yellow squash and some pole beans got washed away in some heavy continuous daily rains .
    The weeds & poison Ivey are simply awesome this year ... they came on so hard and fast they over ran both me and my wife .
    Keep up the good fight , grow what you can when you can !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Drought/heat took out 90% of my garden this year, hard to get stuff to germinate when soil temps jump from to cold to 95 degrees in 4 days. Will get an herb harvest(some are perennials), might get a handful of tomatoes but so far blossom end rot is getting them(soil tests show plenty of calcium so my guess is drought stress, hard to keep enough water on them). My potatoes looked good until a week ago when grasshoppers chowed down most of the leaves... getting some cukes, enough for fresh eating and I made 6 pints of fridge pickles, won't be giving any of those away this year! My alpine strawberries gave me a quart of berries so far this year, soon as it cools down they will pick up again and give me more. They are in a raised bed so they retain water better. I have 5 watermelons! this year, first year they grew decent. Horseradish plants have 3' tall leaves and doubled the patch size this year but time will tell on the roots and if they have any heat...

I thought the hoppers were going to be a nasty threat this year but for the most part they left my garden alone.
    We had a good crop of strawberries early on but no raspberries again. After digging around more I did find 4 volleyball size pumpkins and 2 more small tomatoes.

its just been so hot and dry. 95-110* and 20 mph winds all summer. You can watch the plants dry out
    Been cold and very rainy the last couple days and puddles everywhere this morning. .6" so we're almost 3" for 12 months.

We did plant an herb garden this year in an old water tank by the front door and it went crazy. Nice having that fresh stuff right out the door
    Last edited by reloader28; 08-20-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

My herbs are in front of the garden on the street facing side(blocks the view of the weeds LOL ) in cut in half 55 gallon barrels. Easy access, only about 70 feet from the front door. I share them with the neighbor. She has trouble growing herbs, I grow them well in the raised beds. She helps pad my tomato supply so it all works out in the end! She dropped off a full 5 gallon bucket last night. Will get them washed and cut to fit the tomato strainer then into the fridge overnight. By tomorrow the ones I pulled from the freezer from earlier this summer and til end of last year will be thawed. Run them through the strainer tomorrow then simmer them down. Temps dropping to low 70's tomorrow so better weather for it, 90 today!

So yesterday morning it all of a sudden dropped too cold a little early. The first hard frost came unexpected and took all but 2 tomato plants and 1 pepper plant. My pumpkins still have 1/3 of the lower leaves so they will go a bit longer.
    Dads garden is more protected than mine and he only lost his squash plants and maybe pepper plants. Where this came from I have no idea as it was still 48-50* at midnight when I went to bed.
    Thats life of the high desert of the Rockies. Saves time watering now. Everything was finishing up anyway other than tomatos which there is a pile of green ones still

I started this thread barely a month ago. Right now we are at 69* again at almost 9pm

Banned
    Just mounded up one zucchini and one cucumber. Will cull and fertilize in about a week. 3 pepper plants are still going from the spring. Did our Spring totals and one highlight was 1,800 sweet cherry tomatoes . . . from one plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Butzbach View Post
    Just mounded up one zucchini and one cucumber. Will cull and fertilize in about a week. 3 pepper plants are still going from the spring. Did our Spring totals and one highlight was 1,800 sweet cherry tomatoes . . . from one plant.
    WOW thats great.
    I love cherry tomatoes. I think this is the first year we didnt plant them
    I did bring in about 2 gal of jalapenos from 8 plants so that was good for us

Moderator Emeritus

Drought really did my garden in... 3 dozen tomatoes so far is it, luckily a friend planted 400 tomato plants(she sells at the farmers market) and I got 2 5 gallon bucket fulls from her so I have enough spaghetti base and plain tomato sauce for the year. My cukes did pretty well, no clue why LOL, they are about done, vines are dying from the center out, only 3-4 small cukes left to pick. It was so dry here that I could put an inch of water on the garden and 4 hours later the ground was dry already.

I do have 3 watermelons that aren't ripe yet, hoping the 80's next week will push them over the edge into finishing. And my alpine strawberries are loving the cooler weather, picked a pint yesterday and they are so tasty and aromatic. I can smell the strawberry patch from 10 feet away!

Always sad to see the end of the growing season outside. I do have lettuce plants started inside for my winter use. I need a 2' grow light though... have to get one ordered soon since we will be dropping under 12 hours of daylight soon. I have a mini indoor greenhouse in my kitchen bay window that faces south so lots of winter sun.

Moderator Emeritus

First frost last night so the very last garden harvest is dig horseradish today.

I’ve still got banana peppers,potatoes,onions and tomatoes going here in the Mid-Atlantic. Don’t know if everything will make it in time but we will give it a fighting chance
    J.m Shrader

Moderator Emeritus

Horseradish harvest was so-so... drought didn't help make big fat roots I normally get a bunch of. Will have a little to share with friends... nowhere near what I normally share.

I still have potatoes and carrots in the ground. I have a small horseradish plant but have never done anything with it.

The neighbor gave us about 350lbs of apples. Their waiting to be made into cider