MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you do your casting?

Boolit Buddy

Where do you do your casting?

I have been melting ww's down into ingots and casting the bullets in my garage with a 20" fan blowing the fumes out the walk through door. For this I've been using both the Coleman stove and a 10# Lee electric pot. I'm now thinking of using the electric pot in my basement with pretty much the same ventilation to cast bullets and doing the ww meltdowns either as I was or outside. The basement is much more comfortable to work in in the winter. What do the rest of you do? Thanks for insight into a good safe setup.
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

Fumes are not really a problem at the temperatures we use; it is contamination of the hands. Don’t eat without washing your hands.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

Smelting is a back yard job .
    I cast in the basement .

YES wash your hands .

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I cast under one of those grey hay traps which is also my roof...fairly simple living accomadations I have....cheers mic

I got real lucky I bought my fatherinlaws house and it has a 20 by 40 ft shop and it is in the country to boot melt cast and shoot and dont have to leave my house lucky lucky me
    My idea of gun control is a firm grip

Boolit Master
    smelting in the garage....with front and back doors open, if there is no wind, i use a fan to move the air.
    casting in the garage...not as much ventilation.

my only issue with casting inside is when i flux...its smokey....

mike
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Moderator Emeritus

I cast in an unheated garage with a window partly open near the pot. I smelt outside on a clear day. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I cast in my shop/garage. I have a range hood ducted to the outside.

" I'm sorry Honey, don't know why I did/said that, must be all the lead exposure."

Works for me

jim

Boolit Grand Master

I smelt outside on clear days and cast in a work shed behind my garage. Used to cast in the basement over a natural gas burner I have hard plumbed down there. It was a nice setup, nicer than the Coleman I use now. SWMBO never said a word, but sometimes the smoke from fluxing got pretty thick. In the interest of détente, I moved to the outbuilding.

Boolit Master

Until this past February I did my casting at work in the heated and air conditoned maintenance bay. Now that I'm retired I must slave away in my unheated (sob, sniff!) garage on my own time. Life is tuff but I will press on. Nick

Boolit Master
    HI,
    I smelt & cast out on a covered deck out back.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    For the first time in my life I have a dedicated room for reloading, gunsmithing, cleaning, gun storage, etc. It is about 8' x 18'. Off the gun room is the furnace room which has a large surplus armoire for more storage and soft gun cases hanging from nails in the wall. There is also a very odd-shaped closet off the gun room that I have built ugly but sturdy shelves in for storage of ammo, components, and cast boolits. all the above is my "clean shop." I not only have plenty of room, but I do not have to share it with laundry, garden tools, or SWMBO's projects cabinets. Seperately, in the garage, is my purpose-built casting bench. Whoever built the house must have laid it out for a caster. There are two man doors at the windward corners of the garage, with the big rollup door directly to leeward. This makes a very reliable circulation. The next valley to windward has wind warnings almost every day, and we as a consequence receive moderate Washoe Zephyrs. All casting and smelting is done in the wide-open garage. As I use a Coleman stove for both purposes, I can cast in any weather. All things considered, I can forego "Thou Beside me singing in the Wilderness," because my present shop, Mark VIII, is "Paradise enow!"
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Super Moderator

...............Render scrap into ingots outside behind the garage, as below:

...............Cast inside the garage. No special ventilation. The garage door may be open during the day. Closed at night:

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Smile

I smelt out back, cast in the basement.

I've been smelt in the basement, but that's another story.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrut
    I cast under one of those grey hay traps which is also my roof...fairly simple living accomadations I have....cheers mic
    HOw do you bait one of those hay traps?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master

Smelt and cast in the garage with door open and fan behind.
    1shirt

Boolit Master

Smelt outside
    Cast in the basement with an exaust fan with duct right over the pot.

Say buckshot, How do you get the lead dropping and drippings off the concrete?
    I moved my setup onto the gravel driveway to stop the wife from complaining but I would like to do it un near the house again.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Barrett
    Smelt outside
    Cast in the basement with an exaust fan with duct right over the pot.

Say buckshot, How do you get the lead dropping and drippings off the concrete?
    I moved my setup onto the gravel driveway to stop the wife from complaining but I would like to do it un near the house again.
    ..........That's what that piece of wood down there between the pot and the table is for. Some few splatters have snuck past but I just push'em out with the toe of my shoe. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Probably really should cut that piece of wood so it'd go in between the legs of the turkey fryer and catch ALL the dribbles.

Sitting here looking at what I wrote, there very well could be some lead dribbles still on the concrete . Not an issue for me so I guess I haven't paid real close attention. If it was problem for Donna, THEN it would become an issue for me 8)

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I cast my bullets on an enclosed porch with a draw fan above the pot and the outside door cracked open for fresh air. Weather permitting I clean up wheelweights, etc. outdoors. My furnace is homemade and uses a propane burner from an old water heater.
    I have a friend that casts in his kitchen at the gas range! And, yes, he's married too.
    "He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
    Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life
    PRPA, Annual member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast