Thread: Building a "do it all" .22lr

Boolit Buddy

Building a "do it all" .22lr

Hi folks,

I'm building a bit of a Do it all .22 rimfire

Needs to do the following things.

1) Mimic some of my bigger rifles in terms of weight and feel
    2) Shoot .22 lr at long range (200 and 300 yds) so needs a 20" barrel*
    3) Be useable for running boar targets (so mount and swing cleanly)
    4) Still work as a bunny gun
    5) Have iron sights for practice

So, in meeting those criteria I decided to go with a CZ452 Varmint.

Having a 20" barrel and a bit of weight in the stock is a good combo for most of the above but it doesn't have any iron sights.

So, main issue, sighting.

Mounting a 3-12x50 Hawke with an adjustable objective was an easy choice for telescopic sight. It's got a good mag range and for target shooting at 300 the aiming mark is fairly large so no issues for targets and varmints.

Running boar there are a couple of options. Most competitions require you to use a scope of some form but also do hunting with a red dot sight on my 9.3x62 for hunting so a flexible option of mounting a red dot is needed. I also tend to take the .22lr to the shooting cinema for a warm up with.

The logical answer seemed to be a rail and I managed to find a CZ dovetail to weaver option with 30 MOA of cant so that will help get to 300 yds. Also got helps with mounting a reflex red dot.

Iron rights were more of an issue. My 9,3x62 has a cocking piece mounted peep sight. (See picture below)

And I use it in "historics" competitions as the rifle is a bit of classic with the red dot sight removed.

So, a rear peep on the .22 lr was required. I tried to use a Skinner rear peep but this trim little sight just sits too low for the stock shape combined with my face. (Varmint stock so built for use with a varmint scope). Ended up using my NEGC weaver peep sight on top of the rail. (Better position and doesn't need me to take the rail off so perhaps winning).

(A bit too low to get eye to with Varmint Stock)

Here’s the NEGC sight in situ.

As you can see, sits rather higher and so fit’s better with stock.

Anyway, no front sight on the barrel. So, needed one of those. Liked the look of the Williams Shorty front ramp. Then realised it came in 4 heights, possibly for good reason. Now, here is a question. What front sight do I order? No idea how really to find out. I had asked Skinner sights what they suggested and Rob there suggested a good idea: Cable tie on the front of the barrel which you then clip to height as you shoot. When you clip have elevation you want, order the ramp and foresight combination that gives you the correct height. With some scepticism I headed to the range, cable tie foresight in place and tried it. You know, it actually works.

(Yes, it’s a bit hokey and you wouldn’t want to have to rely on it but surprisingly it wasn’t wholly unuseable either)

So, ramp and foresight combo ordered, then it will be off to the gunsmith to get it fitting.

Williams Front Ramp

More pictures to follow with more work done.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

(*) To shoot out to 200yds and beyond you need to use sub sonic ammo as .22 lr bullets when shot subsonic don't tend to do well going transonic at ~125-150yds. Also you need about 60MOA of come-up from 50 to 300 yds so the mounts do have some cant).

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you folks experiencing supply and price issues with .22’s?
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Are you folks experiencing supply and price issues with .22’s?
    Not too bad with non-US made components but US stuff the supply isn't great.

Scrummy

Moderator Emeritus

Nice idea with the cable tie that was suggested to you. Good luck