Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee 6 cavity mold sprue plate pivot bolt stripping

Boolit Mold

Lee 6 cavity mold sprue plate pivot bolt stripping

Hi all, having problems with a .401 mold I use a lot and the pivot bolt keeps getting loose and of course doesn't keep the plate tight against the mold and you have ugly bullets. Anyone have any repairs that doesn't require a cnc machine and $150K in tools?? I was thinking of drilling and tapping for next larger size bolt, but that is a special type bolt. Does anyone know the size and threads on this bolt? It appears fine thread. Thanks Mac

Banned
    Lee molds (the new ones) have left hand thread. What I do is to pull the sprue plate screw out, drill the proper sized hole from the side to intersect the sprue plate screw, tap the hole for a small set screw and viola. You won't have any more trouble.
    There are other ways like putting some fine copper wire in the threads and others but I find a set screw is the way to go.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks I probably wouldn't have thought of that, especially with sweat dripping into my eyes!! Mine have right hand threads. Mac

Boolit Master
    Dirtshooter, the 6 cav mold is indeed right hand threaded. The 2 cav mold is left hand thread. The sprue hinge bolt and the hold down bolt are both threaded the same so you can swap the sprue to the other block and keep on driving. You will need to do something for a thread repair like perhaps wrapping steel wool around the threads of the bolt and then cautiously snugging it in place. A better repair is Heli-coil thread repair kits, which are not cheap, but once bought can repair several molds as needed. Do not muck things up and then find the blocks no longer fit the handles. Sorry, I can not tell you the kit number or the thread size you need. Maybe do an advanced search will find that for you.

I believe the set screw will also make a satisfactory solution, but I have not done it that way.

Boolit Mold
    Dusty I think the set screw is a great idea, however I cannot get the bolt tight enough. I have a neighbor that is off on Wednesday's and he can't fix it I will buy a new mold. Thanks for the ideas though.

Boolit Buddy
    Google alumaweld alloy. Fill the hole, drill tap, reinstall screw with the set screw option. OR
    Send it back to lee fir a replacement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtshooter View Post
    Dusty I think the set screw is a great idea, however I cannot get the bolt tight enough. I have a neighbor that is off on Wednesday's and he can't fix it I will buy a new mold. Thanks for the ideas though.
    The other way I have done is to go to the next size bigger screw. I can't remember what size screw they have (probably a #10). You can drill it bigger and tap it for a 1/4-20 screw if it is indeed a #10. (1/4-20 is coarse thread. I wouldn't recommend fine threads in aluminum) Also you would have to drill the hole in the sprue plate to accept the bigger screw also. Even then I would put a set screw to hold it. I find that Lee molds are plagued with sprue screws coming loose.

High heat locks pivot bold in place, as mold expands?

My new Lee 2 cavity, left thread, pivot bolt keep getting loose about a month ago. Today i just kept tightining it, when it came loose. Things were not going well, alloy problem with fill out.

Went maximum heat on the Lee 10 lb pot, started pressure casting. Running frosted bullets most of the time.

About 1/4 pot in, the pivot bolt stopped getting loose. Seemed to fix it self? Time will tell.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...tc.317/&page=2

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...g-bullets.310/
    Last edited by 243winxb; 08-17-2021 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Add title

LEE has the answers. @ the Knowledgebase

Boolit Master

I don't care what LEE says, the cause is a bolt that has smaller diameter threads compared to the size of the bolt, putting too much leverage on it. The problem is exacerbated by their use of soft aluminum. Also having such a long sprue plate adds to the pressure on the pivot. I have put set screws on brand new molds but eventually the pivot screw and sometimes the sprue stop screw loosens and eventually strips out. And I keep my moulds well lubricated, which can be seen by the lack of galling and gouges on the top of the mould. I have four 44-40 moulds that have in excess of 40,000 bullets apiece through them and still work well, but all the pivots and stops have been replaced, with some sort of set screw or tensioning device on them. Lee calls their 6 cavity a commercial grade mould, but they just aren't. I have Accurate, NOE, and Mihec molds also, and they don't have any of these problems as they use better aluminum and use proper sized/secured pivots.

Agreed, Lee is a cheap mold. You get what you pay for. Lee 6 cavity $65. Lyman 4 cavity $140. On Amazon today.

I avoid Lee 99% of the time. Having learned from starting reloading in the 1970s.
    First mistake, Lee Classic (hammer) loaded. Then the Target loader. Then a 223 die set that could not decap primers.

Live and learn.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 08-18-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    The first thing that I do when I get in a mold that does not have a set screw is drill tap and install a set screw have never had a problem.

In "Molds...Maintenance and Design", there's lotsa good info on field mods for Lee molds
    "Wherever was found what was called a paternal government was found a state education. It'd been discovered that the best way to insure implicit obedience was to commence tyranny in the nursery." -Benjamin Disraeli

Boolit Grand Master

Try this ... remove a several strands of 0000 steel wool from a pad , straighten them out and with a wooden chop stick , equally space out 6 to 8 strands and push them straight down into the hole , bend the excess strand out of the way . Now carefully place bolt in hole and press gently down while tightening the bolt . The strands of steel wool should cause an interference fit between the stripped threads and the aluminum and it should let you tighten the bolt ...when snug ...Stop .
    I fixed a bolt that had this problem , it would loosen up every other mould opening and was driving me nuts ... I didn't think such an easy fix would work ... but the two cavity Lee has not loosened again and that was 5 years ago . I was going to remove the bolt and redo the fix but the bolt didn't want to unscrew with normal pressure ... So I left well enough alone .
    If you have a pad of steel wool lying around ...what ya got to loose ... and if it works ...
    .. Easy Fixes Rock !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I must be really lucky with Lee molds. I have 8, 6 cavity molds and at least 15 double cavity molds. One of the 6 cavity molds is 230gr. 1R that I have cast 1000s of boolits with and have only had to tighten the sprue plate a very few times with no problems. I cast quite hot though. No screw problems with the rest of them either.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I must be really lucky with Lee molds. I have 8, 6 cavity molds and at least 15 double cavity molds. One of the 6 cavity molds is 230gr. 1R that I have cast 1000s of boolits with and have only had to tighten the sprue plate a very few times with no problems. I cast quite hot though. No screw problems with the rest of them either.
    More than likely ...you have "The Touch " !
    You know how to open , close and treat them ... gently but firm ... like a newborn baby !
    Some have "the touch" ... others just beat them to death ... and complain that Lee moulds are no good .
    And you have to know how to hold your mouth right ...that's the real secrete .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I am lucky with Lee Molds also. They are easy to modify and cheap in case I mess them up. That's a win win. I wouldn't even consider buying a mold from a different maker.

Boolit Buddy
    I must be really lucky with Lee Molds, I have 9 of them. 2 that are hollow points that they don't make any more and have been used and and abused since the 80's. Never a problem!