Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Choice of Revolver against Grizzly Bear attack.

Boolit Buddy

Choice of Revolver against Grizzly Bear attack.

Hi there,
    For a good 40 years I always could trust my FN .338 Win Mag with a 250 Grain Slug to protect me in this Grizzly infested Area in I am Guiding and Outfitting in. Getting older it gets much harder to haul all the equipment, Axe-Brush Axe-shovel & Chainsaw around on my Back while maintaining narrow Foot Trails in heavy undergrowth between the River/Lake Flats up to Timberline. My hearing and alertness is also not what it used to be and I am almost always by myself all Day.
    While I am not to keen to trade the old .338 with a Revolver, the later on my Hip is just the better choice then the heavy Rifle 50 ft away leaning against a Tree so I decided to carry my SS Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 Rem. Mag. However the other Day during a practice session the Revolver had a catastrophic failure and furthermore the empty Shells are very cumbersome to eject unlike the older SAA Colts or Ruger before the transfer Bar was invented. So I came to the conclusion this Revolver is not suited for my particular Purpose.
    For now I will be using a DA S&W 586 in .357 Mag. but I am thinking also of purchasing a new DA Revolver in Stainless Steel and I am Eyeballing the DA Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Rem. Mag and also the DA Ruger Redhawk.
    I would be interested to hear from those which actually carry any of those 2 Revolvers and what there Opinion is.

Thank's

Boolit Master

All ya need is a 22.

You can shoot the other guy in the knee and leave him behind. Or you can use it to shoot yourself if needed.

Seriously, if you can get a RedHawk in 45 Colt and handload your ammo I'd go that way. The RedHawk is stupid strong and you can load 45 Colt loads that will surpass 44 mag levels.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the S&W X frames. Take your choice and get a good chest holster. They’re heavy.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Seriously, if you can get a RedHawk in 45 Colt and handload your ammo I'd go that way. The RedHawk is stupid strong and you can load 45 Colt loads that will surpass 44 mag levels.
    That's what I have.

although if I had it to do all over again, I might have the Super Redhawk Alaskan (.454 Casull), because there really is no need for the 4.2" barrel when the 2.5" will do the job. 45 Colts at Ruger Only pressures are plenty though, more than I can handle even with 300 grain bullets and there are loads for up to 365 grains.

Moderator Emeritus

I weigh about 250 lbs and the Redhawk is too heavy to pack around with a load on my back. I wouldn't bother with the Super for me. I like the S&W 69, if you need a handgun for bear you need one that is always there, draws easily and point shoots accurately for one or at most two shots before it is one you. I think you are over thinking the reload option for what you have. The idea that you can dump 6 shots into a bear and reload for more is totally underestimating them IMO.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Smith 69 with your choice of barrel length and carried in a Kenai chest holster. Its fast and light.

Boolit Master
    Since you are considering buying a new revolver, I think you should consider the Smith 329PD in .44 magnum.It is very light in weight, which means you can carry it all day and hardly notice the weight. I fit mine with a set of Hogue/Smith X frame grips to help manage the recoil, which is still severe with boolits from 250g and up, but when your life is on the line, you won't notice it. My preference is to carry something light all day rather than a boat anchor like the Ruger , since both will do the job IF necessary!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    I should have mentioned I like to stay with the Caliber .44 Remington Magnum because I am all set up in my RCBS Piggyback Reloading Outfit and preferably a 7.5" Barrel because that is what I am used to in my other DA Revolvers none of which is in Stainless Steel which is much more suitable for Day to Day use shaving in a often wet Leather Belt Holster with a Flap (similar to the original US Army Revolver Holsters of the 1880s) to prevent Dirt, Leaves and Chainsaw shavings getting onto the Gun. By Govt. Regulation I am required to carry on the Belt, no Cross draw or Shoulder Holster allowed.

Cheers

Boolit Grand Master
    I cannot recommend what would be best for you, but I am curious how a SBH had a "catastrophic failure".

If it was an over load, you might want to go up in power level rather than pushing a .44 Mag.
    Don Verna

The bullet of choice I use in my Ruger Redhawk is the 310gr at about 1300 fps. Definitely a handful. The Ruger is super tough & will handle the load with no problem. I also have a S&W 629 4". This load will almost rip the revolver out of your hand because of it's lite weight. I love the 629 for it's handiness , but for a possible follow up shot the Ruger is my absolute go to revolver. Also there are heavier 44 bullets available. When it comes to, momentum & penetration, a heavy bullet is the way to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I cannot recommend what would be best for you, but I am curious how a SBH had a "catastrophic failure".

If it was an over load, you might want to go up in power level rather than pushing a .44 Mag.
    Ejector Rod Causing Stut broke off causing the whole assembly to fall into the Dirt. Did not notice it until I wanted to eject the spent Casings. If that would have happened in the Bush I would likely never have found the Parts leaving me to peel the Casings out with my Swiss Army Knife.

Cheers

Vendor Sponsor

My first choice would be a 12 ga Mossberg loaded with 8 slugs in the mag and one in the chamber.

If I had to take a revolver into thick brush I would take a 4" barreled Super Redhawk in 454 Casull or 480 Ruger.

It is not a good decision to make caliber choice for protection against a grizzly based on what $45 set of dies one has.

This decision should be to carry the most knockdown energy you can carry and still shoot accurately.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-17-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    I personally favor the Redhawk 44 Magnum. I would get a stainless 5 1/2" were it I, but I have the 7 1/2" and have carried it extensively in the field. I usually use a shoulder holster, to allow access with either hand, but you say you are denied this option by government fiat (Canada?). My personal experience was such that I can not recommend the S&W M-69. I don't have Grizzlies around here, but there are plenty of black bears.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Regardless of your preferance for a 7.5" barrel, I would suggest a 4" .44 mag Redhawk as you are going to be packing a lot and using it seldom. The older you get the heavier it's going to feel. You can load a 300 grain RNFP boolit with a wide meplat to a velocity that will give deep penetration. Either that gun or one with a 7.5" barrel is going to require enough recovery time between shots that it probably won't make any difference. Just my thoughts from someone who has never even seen a grizzly. GF

Boolit Master
    Whatever you decide on I would do lots of double action practice with milder loads. Maybe put a reduced power trigger return spring in. Unfortunate that Griz inhabit such beautiful country. They are not to be taken lightly. I have camped a few times in Griz country but prefer not to.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    Some thing to think about . Predators mostly go after the older slower and crippled ones when they can .

Making me not as high on the food chain as I once was .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

Ejector Rod Hausing Stut broke off causing the whole assembly to fall into the Dirt. Did not notice it until I wanted to eject the spent Casings. If that would have happened in the Bush I would likely never have found the Parts leaving me to peel the Casings out with my Swiss Army Knife.

Cheers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    My first choice would be a 12 ga Mossberg loaded with 8 slugs in the mag and one in the chamber.

If I had to take a revolver into thick brush I would take a 4" barreled Super Redhawk in 454 Casull or 480 Ruger. It is not a good decision to make caliber choice based on what $45 set of dies one has.

This decision should be to carry the most knockdown energy you can carry and still shoot accurately.
    Having shot 1000s of rounds mostly DA with the .44 Rem. Mag. 240 Grain Bullets full Loads with my Revolvers I am very comfortable with this Round and length of Barrels. Yes The Shotgun with Slugs would be better but even better would be my .338 FN with which I had to Finnish off more Grizzly's including charging ones then most People will ever see in there Lifetime.

So back to the Revolver. Definitely wont be anything in Alloy. Must be all Stainless Steel everything else looks like S***t after a season in the Rain and in a Leather Holster. Must be DA for much faster reloading which is not likely necessary but a hell of a lot better then fiddling with ejecting Casings on a single action like my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter and worse finding the Ejecting Rod fell off. O Brother !

Thank's

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Whatever you decide on I would do lots of double action practice with milder loads. Maybe put a reduced power trigger return spring in. Unfortunate that Griz inhabit such beautiful country. They are not to be taken lightly. I have camped a few times in Griz country but prefer not to.
    Be careful playing with reducing Hammer Spring tension. On one of my S&W that spring backed out by itself probably over a period of several Years and I never noticed it. Thanks God I found out at the Shooting Range.

Thank,s

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not an expert on shooting bears, but a few thoughts on handguns:
    The gun range I go to has posted a sign that a Brown Bear sow and cub have been frequenting the range. The Wife would rather I did not get eaten by a bear so she loaned me her 329 and Diamond D chest holster. It was a pleasure to carry for 8 hours. The bulk is noticeable, but the weight is OK. We load it with lite loads for her. It is a nice gun to carry and with 240 grain bullets I think it's a better choice than a .357. I had this gun on the range one day and another guy had the same 329 with different loads. He had some 310 grain "Bear" loads...he shot those exactly 2 times and quit for the day.

The 329 experiment worked so well, I thought I'd try another gun. I took a Dan Wesson .44 mag. with 8" barrel in a Diamond D chest holster. The weight difference and longer barrel is very noticable. I load the DW with heavier/faster bullets and I can hit better with it. It's a beautiful blued gun that only gets out of the safe when the weather is nice.

The S&W .500 4" is a very fun gun to shoot with less than full throttle loads. It's a very heavy gun to carry: I have a Galco hip holster for it. There are times I carry it in the woods, but not often. Those 440 grain bullets help make me feel safe.

The Ruger SRH in .480 is a very nice shooting gun. Lauches bullets of 410 grains very well. Again it's a heavy large gun to carry and it rides in a Bianchi hip hoster. I would not get a SRH in .44; to me it seems like an overkill for the .44. There was a limited run of Ruger single actions in .480, 5 shot, stainless and blue. I'm not a SA guy, but darn those were nice loooking packing guns for bear country! The SRH .480 cut down to 5" or so would be a nice gun!!

After I shoot those 400+ grain bullets and can see the holes in target with just my eyes, it's had to think about using a smaller gun. I'm sure all the .40+ guns will get the job done.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast