Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Choice of Revolver against Grizzly Bear attack.

Boolit Buddy
    I did not try the white insert in my 4" DW44 (or my other DWs). I tried the yellow thinking if I ran into a bear it would most likely be in thick stuff where there was not much light. It worked OK when it was not light, but the least bit of sunlight and the front sight seemed to flare and I could not get a good sight picture.

Boolit Master
    “Shoot the toes off a bear”?

That’s pretty crazy! That’s even richer than braining a bear in a charge!

I still subscribe to breaking the bears forward control by attempting to bust a shoulder. You go for the hump. It certainly will not kill the animal but one or the other front shoulder blade broken gives someone in control of their emotions an added second or two and a possible shift in the bears orientation to afford better follow up shot opportunities.

.... that is if you have a follow up shot (or 3) left in your gun.

The 10 mm is mentioned and those that like it can keep it from my perspective. The bullets are shaped poorly for large animals so the gun can cycle and they are too light and they are not moving fast enough to compensate for their lightness.

All in all, the 10 mm is no 41 Rem Mag, and the 41 is no 44. I know, I own two .41s. I like them, I love my .44s and am slap happy with my .480 Ruger.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    We should make this thread a sticky. Then perhaps it won't be repeated every six months.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Mold
    I am going out West for a fishing trip next month. Remote spots and I've seen Bears and Mountain Lions there.
    I chose a Taurus Raging Hunter 51/4" barrel 44 mag. and have ran a couple of hundred rounds through it and I like it. The downside is the double cylinder lock, but you get pretty fast if you practice and I've got speedloaders. I have a Gunfighters Kenai chest holster and it draws smooth.
    I'll take a 12 ga. and a levergun also.
    Bear spray , of course.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    We should make this thread a sticky. Then perhaps it won't be repeated every six months.
    Or just start a new that is "accessed" by only those that have ever stopped a charging bear with a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Or just start a new that is "accessed" by only those that have ever stopped a charging bear with a revolver.
    So only those that have stopped a charging bear with a semi-auto can play? memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I don't bear hunt, nor do I have to worry about bear attacks (at the moment). I think we need to understand what we're shooting "at" before deciding what to shoot it "with". Here's a couple of informative sites.

https://youtu.be/yzxL9r_1IF0 (young brown bear 250 lbs.)

http://www.ballistics101.com/images/...tplacement.pdf (shot placement and anatomy)

Attachment 287597
    https://qualityhunts.com/product/hun...ska-peninsula/
    That is one fearsome looking beast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    im with doug. All we have here are black bears and a 44 or about anything will work on them. If i was in brown or griz territory i wouldnt be caught without a long gun period. Ive killed lots of game with 475s and 500 linebaughs. Some as big as bison. Ive had deer run off after a good hit with a 500 and watched one 1200 lb cow bison keep eating grass after i hit in behind the shoulder with a 500 shooting 480lfns at 1200 fps. I kept eating like it wasnt even hit for a good 30 seconds before it tipped over dead. PLENTY of time for a big bear to tear you limb from limb. All a handgun would be for me in big bear territory would be a back up and that said i doubt a bear is giving you time to use your back up. Id prefer 3lbs less weight on my hip when i tried to get out of dodge then to count on it saving my life. People overestimate the power of even the biggest handguns. They think there dinosaur slayers when in fact there barely equal to a black powder 4570 load in a package thats much harder to place a good shot with. a 44mag? less real world power then a 3030. A 9mm??? About like walking into a firefight armed with a 25acp. We had a charging bear target at one linebaugh seminar and just the pressure of having people watch had about 50 percent of the shooters missing the bear completely. Keep in mind those are some of the best handgun shooters in the country. I could count on my 10 fingers the number of guys who could consistently make a central nervous system hit. Now add a real bear with claws and snapping teeth and a roll of toilet paper might be better in a holster then a handgun. if your out where REAL bear dangers are likely and you dont have a long gun, good luck to you!!
    I would be inclined to go with a 12 gauge pump with Brenneke slugs myself. Either that or just stay home. I read an article once where some gun writer was saying how a bear in thick cover would most likely have you before you could have the time to draw a pistol.

Would certainly save space.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Yes but the benefit of these threads at least makes folks aware of a potential threat while walking in the woods and hopefully some idea of the risk of trying to feed them along the highway or taking pictures of them from a few yards. I say hopefully because I am sure most here on this forum understand the risks involved.

The threads are really no different than the CCW threads that appear from time to time. Limit those to folks who have used their guns to defend themselves and they might never get past the first post.

I am always amazed when I see families out of their cars walking within a few yards of feeding Black Bears along our highways. Darwin exists I guess but their surely is a minimum level of intelligence for adults to be able to drive a car. Maybe not.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    So only those that have stopped a charging bear with a semi-auto can play? memtb
    I do think the OP said revolver....which is why I said what I said. I prefer a grenade myself!!!

Boolit Buddy
    What most People don't know is that it is very likely that most Grizzly Attacks are never reported simply because of the Bureaucratic nightmare the Shooter is subjected to especially in British Columbia and the Yukon.
    I did not report the one which happened to me in May of 1980. I was young and Lucky ending up alive when I should have been mauled and Dead, just happened to have a Client with me which used to hunt Russians in the Trenches and had nerves of Steel, just my Luck.
    My Neighbor was not so Lucky, that Sow Grizzly hung on to his Head in her Fangs while they tumbled down the Mountain side, thanks Good she eventually remembered her Cubs and let go of him, he survived never reported and did not talk after that to much.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Yes but the benefit of these threads at least makes folks aware of a potential threat while walking in the woods and hopefully some idea of the risk of trying to feed them along the highway or taking pictures of them from a few yards. I say hopefully because I am sure most here on this forum understand the risks involved.

The threads are really no different than the CCW threads that appear from time to time. Limit those to folks who have used their guns to defend themselves and they might never get past the first post.

I am always amazed when I see families out of their cars walking within a few yards of feeding Black Bears along our highways. Darwin exists I guess but their surely is a minimum level of intelligence for adults to be able to drive a car. Maybe not.

Take Care

Bob
    They live, they breed, their vote counts just as much as yours, and in many States they can legally carry a pistol. Sleep tight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Man
    The reason I got the Redhawk built was because when I was on solo in survival school I was the farthest person from the base camp. In the wee hours of the morning a bear came into my camp. The only thing I had to protect myself was a Puma Skinner I carried since the sixties. I got my back against a rock wall and the fire between me and it. I threw wood on the fire and soon it was going good, but it did not make him go on about his business. Thankfully he finally move on after what seem to me like an eternity. I never felt so naked as that experience. I don't pretend I don't trust bears, black, brown, or otherwise. I know I am no match for them in a fight. Would my gun/load work to end a grizzly bear attack? Don't know. Don't want to find out. Just sharing my personal stuff. Maybe you think I had nothing worth while to share. At my age, don't much care about that either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jgt View Post
    The reason I got the Redhawk built was because when I was on solo in survival school I was the farthest person from the base camp. In the wee hours of the morning a bear came into my camp. The only thing I had to protect myself was a Puma Skinner I carried since the sixties. I got my back against a rock wall and the fire between me and it. I threw wood on the fire and soon it was going good, but it did not make him go on about his business. Thankfully he finally move on after what seem to me like an eternity. I never felt so naked as that experience. I don't pretend I don't trust bears, black, brown, or otherwise. I know I am no match for them in a fight. Would my gun/load work to end a grizzly bear attack? Don't know. Don't want to find out. Just sharing my personal stuff. Maybe you think I had nothing worth while to share. At my age, don't much care about that either.
    So you sent your Redhawk in for customization to increase your faith in it, not because you had experienced a failure along the way. Nothing wrong with that.

My RH has been totally reliable except for the need to run old school Federal primers in it. I change it back up to the factory hammer/trigger reset spring and then all primers will go off again.

My confirmed carry piece is my Smith 629-4 Mountain Gun because it is a trimmer package at 39 oz and compact with a 4” barrel and no more grizzly bear sightings in the intervening years in my area. The RH at about 53 oz and a 7 1/2” barrel is not the “belt gun” that the Smith is.

The Smith has “broken” twice. The cylinder pin peened over not allowing it to close and separately, the firing pin broke. My gun dealer fixed both items as a walk in on the spot. He told me they were not abuse breaks but rather poor parts in his opinion. On the peeping break I limited my bullet weight to 270 gr there after in that revolver in spite of the gunsmiths assurances.

The Smith is fed almost exclusively the RCBS 250K boolit these days.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    Look at this kind of Gunshop Service/Business which I really don't want to deal with but unfortunately don't had a Choice.

Ordered 2 Screws and paid for them via EMT (Cdn.$ 30.45) on August 19. 2021. The Screws with Tax are 13.45 Which includes Tax.
    Shipping and handling from Montreal was extra at 17.00
    That Business did not accepted my EMT Payment until 2 days ago.
    No Communication whatsoever.
    Screws are for a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Revolver where the Ejector Housing Stud (Screw) sheered off.
    Screws have still not arrived to this Day, nor did I receive a Tracking #.

The Business calls itself "Location Snap Shots inc." located in Montreal Quebec and is the Repair Facility for Ruger Firearms in Canada.

Darn it, I like Ruger Revolvers and thinking buying another one but this kind of Service sucks.

Waiiiiiiiiit-----------Huuuuuuuuuuuuh
    Mail just arrived with the Screws--------------Haleluya, what could go wrong now ?

Cheers

Well the Screw fits and the Housing is back on. Have not used any Locktite but inserted a small Leather disk which will prevent the Ejector Rod hitting the Screw (Stud) sharply. Perhaps that will solve the Problem, hopefully will find out for sure on the shooting Range.

Looking at the Envelope the Screws came in, It shows a wrong House number but a correct Postal Code. On the Invoice is my correct address printed. Yep, that is how it goes nowadays in Canada.

Thanks to all for there input and suggestions. It is Websites like this and all our comments which keep our Suppliers on there Toes. Businesses pay attention what is said here, don't be shy rocking the Boat just be fair. Unfortunately 40 years of Liberal indoctrination caused to many Canadians to be way to laid Back. On the other hand there are many good Businesses which "stand behind" there product and I mean right behind you willing to be fair, make things right and not be a mile or two behind and trying to Scalp you.

Thank's
    Last edited by Graybeard96; 08-28-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    30 bucks for two screws?

That’s insane!!

Three44s

Vendor Sponsor

You most assuredly want some thread locker on that screw.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    Imagine the number of potential posts if the topic were “Gunfights with Bears! memtb
    When you elect dyslexic legislators who keep and arm them, what else can you expect?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    When you elect dyslexic legislators who keep and arm them, what else can you expect?
    I think i did that some years back. Got a lot of posts about shotgun vs. handgun . I held that there was absolutely no reason for a bear to be allowed a gun of any type.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast