RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Stag Grips - Real or Fake

Boolit Master

Stag Grips - Real or Fake

Been thinking about getting a set of stag grips for my 1911, but was taken back by the price of real Elk Stag grips. I know very little about these and was wondering what’s the difference, besides the obvious, of real vs. fake stag. Are there any “good” fake stag? Are any of the real stag grips to avoid?

Pro’s and con’s and opinions please….
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Being made of plastic (regardless of the various fancy names), in over 60 years of playing with guns, I've yet to come across any fake stags that looked like real stag (up close & personal).

The only other difference is that the real stags can crack under pressure (like from over tightening), while most of the fake stags will not.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    As noted,, the look is never the same.
    Elk stag is more "porous" than Sambar, & some other types.
    Stag isn't cheap,, but it's a time honored way to dress up a handgun. Often,, it's been more of a look than utility,, DEPENDING upon the amount of "bark" in the panels. The more the bark, the nicer the look. But the rougher the bark, the more felt recoil can be harder on a shooter.

Boolit Grand Master

The best of the fake stage is the aged stag from Buffalo Arms. The clunky stag from N C Ordnance is about the worst looking.

Super Moderator

I bought a set of fake stag grips from Altamont, and was very disappointed. They looked good on the pic from the website, but in person not so much.

Boolit Buddy

Look at Arizona custom Magna tusk aged stag grips.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in PA View Post
    Yeah, these are heavy and really look pretty darn good. Available on the bay, too. Company is a pleasure to deal with.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I can't remember the make, but I bought a set of faux stag grips to put on my 70 year old S & W M & P 5' about five years ago. When I bought it, the original grips had been switched out for a set of crappy rubber type grips. I remembered a local cop from when I was a kid who carried an identical revolver with a set of faux stag grips and for some reason, I was always intrigued how his revolver looked. They looked fairly decent but my gosh, they were the most comfortable grips I have ever wrapped my hand around - plus a lot of sharp spots. I carefully worked on them with some 600 paper and got them cleaned up to where the look AND feel decent.

I also like the loos of the Arizona grips - plan on getting a set of aged ivories for my Uberti Bisley and a set of the checkered aged ivories for my Uberti '51 Navy Richards and Mason conversion to dress them up. For those that have never seen them, go to evil bay - put in a search for something like "Uberti 1851 Colt Navy Grips" pull the auction and then go to seller's other auctions to see their offerings. Some nice looking grips IMHO.

Bone makes good grip material and it is natural and never fake.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

If you can find Geo. Patton's position on stag grips I would go with that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    If you can find Geo. Patton's position on stag grips I would go with that.
    He had ivory on his two main revolvers and his museum displayed a couple of pistols with pearl grips.

I do not recall him saying anything reference to stag.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Only reference related to grips attributed to Patton that I'm aware of was that Pearl grips = Pimp in a New Orleans ***** House .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Vendor Sponsor

There is also fossilized mammoth ivory, and mastodon ivory. These pieces are buried for thousands and thousands of years and pick up colors from the minerals in the earth, some are really gorgeous in their natural state, some are stabilized in a pressure tank with colored polymers which keeps them from cracking and the colors are really pretty.

I never thought elk antler really looked like stag. If I wanted stag grips for a 1911 I would go for the Sambar, the real deal. Buy once cry once and be done with it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in PA View Post
    Those Arizona stocks looks really good, fair prices too.

I make them with the red deer antlers ... The distance that separates us is a lot, otherwise I would send you a set of handles as a gift.
    Last edited by JLF; 10-21-2021 at 03:44 PM.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Buddy
    Plastic is plastic, never has come close in my mind.

Now, for somethings from the 50's or 60's that commonly had the cheap plastic "stag" on them I think it is OK as that was the norm on those pieces. Sort of like the woodside station wagons look alright as they was the way they were made, but I would not do that to a new wagon.