WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4227 Favorite Loads

18.0 to 19.0 grains of IMR4227 in a .45 Colt case behind a 250 or 255 grain cast bullet is a good load in a S.A. Colt clone, without stressing them out. I've also 4227 with cast bullets for a .444 and .45/70 rifle; which works great for plinker loads, and is satisfactory for close range deer hunting. I believe Hodgdon's market both IMR and H4227 showing powder load recipes as being identical.

Boolit Master
    BUY IT! Even if you find NO use for it (unlikely), you can trade it for other propellants. It works well in all the original magnum revolver cartridges, and is excellent for .45 Colt in the TC/Ruger loads. It usually gives higher velocities than 2400, but not quite as high as H110/W296. The UPside of the 4227s is that they are not prone to "misfire" if loads are started at 10% below maximum. H110/W296 specify no more than a 3% reduction in charge, which is less of a margin than I like to work with.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I'm wanting to use 4227 for my Ruger .357 Maximum behind a 195 gr cast bullet BUT I CAN'T FIND ANY FOR SALE ANYWHERE - all the big name sellers are OOS, even Hodgdon and a few places I've found want you to use PayPal, Venmo, Zelle, CASHApp, they say they have a lot of it but it seems likely a scam. Any suggestions?
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master

Shyda’s in Lebanon has a nice big stack of 8 pounders on the shelf. Bit of a drive from State college, but if you are in the neighborhood for some reason…
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Thanks for the update, it would cost way more in gas than having it shipped from someplace. Midsouth has some in stock but when I try to check out they say they can't ship, store pickup only. I might call themon Monday to see what they say.
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master

Oh, absolutely. But if something brings you down thisaway, they are worth stopping by even if you already found the powder.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Got some from MidSouth. I had my PO box in my account address and of course they don't ship to a PO box. Edited it, put my physical address in and then placed my order. It went through fine so I have both IMR4227 and Ramshot Enforcer on the way.
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Man
    33 grains in the 35 whelen duplicates 35 remington ballistics, and is plenty for under 150 yard deer.

Boolit Buddy
    Used in 300 BO and also for 122-125 grain loads in 7.62x39.

Boolit Master

32 hr mag,,327 mag...
    Most accurate powder!

I just got an 8# of IMR
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by NObamain2012 View Post
    33 grains in the 35 whelen duplicates 35 remington ballistics, and is plenty for under 150 yard deer.
    What bullet weight?
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    What bullet weight?
    I use 200 hornady FTX intended for the 35 Remington.

Du Pont #1204, introduced in 1925, was directly replaced by IMR-4227 in 1935. 25gr to 30gr of #1204 was used in the 44-40 cartridge giving a 200gr JSP between 1,400 and 1,830fps (Sharpe 1937). IMR-4227 was superior and 29gr gave the 200gr JSP 1,890fps. No pressures listed for those loads but notes recommended by Dupont and we can assume a bit on the high side.
    All rifle powders folks, so is 2400. 4227 is IMR's "Magnum" powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    30-06 and 30-30 for cast boolits since SR4759 is discontinued.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Well, after finally getting my 4227, I loaded my first batch of .357 Maximum cartridges for my Ruger Maximum

Bullet: Cast 194 gr Bradshaw-Martin (cast and powder coated by member Contender)
    Brass: Winchester, R-P, Starline
    Powder: IMR 4227 18.5 grs
    Primer: CCI 400 Small Rifle

Also did a batch with a little lighter bullet

Bullet: 185 gr powder coated (red) from Missouri Bullet Co.
    Brass: Winchester
    Powder: IMR4227 18.0 grs
    Primer: CCI 400 Small Rifle

The earliest I'll be able to check them out will be the beginning of Oct. (will be going to Contenders range in NC for a Ruger get together)
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    From a 10" Contender barrel, 7.5 grains of 4227 and Lyman #438 mold. Extremely accurate.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

I get excellent results with 16.0 grains of IMR4227 under 180 grain boolits in 360DW cases when fired from my Handi Rifle.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    Question for anyone that has bought a new can of IMR 4227 (recently)

Where was the powder made ??? ....Shown on the back side of the label

Thanks

Ps where I am, not seeing any primers / powder / or Loaded stuff coming in ...... especially just before bird / hunting season ...

Well, last weekend I was able to shoot my loads in my Ruger Maximum. They shot great and the recoil really wasn't bad. Then shot a few from a friend that were 180 gr MBC's in front of 13 grs of 4227. Nice mild load and seemd to be very accurate also (we were shooting hanging steel plates). I think I'm going to use the 18-18.5 gr loads if I use it for hunting otherwise I'll drop the load down for just target, steel, plinking (plinking with a .357 Maxi seems to be a oxymoron )

The newest can of IMR4227 (a week ago) I got was made in Canada.
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast