WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading PBcastco

Thread: Left handed grip for a 2nd series Colt Woodsman?

Banned

Left handed grip for a 2nd series Colt Woodsman?

Anyone ever seen a left handed set of grips for a second series Colt Woodsman? Maybe while you were out riding your unicorn?

Riding my unicorn....

Last edited by pietro; 08-16-2021 at 07:28 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

[img]http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads19/sport+king11313727939.jpg[/

Riding my unicorn....

While the grips and accompanying photo are magically impressive, I must endeavor to point out, however reluctantly, that either that is not a 2nd Series Colt Woodsman, or that you failed to photograph the magic wand you employ to change magazines.

Boolit Buddy
    jpgbox.com/jpg/64674_600x400.jpg[/IMG]

First time trying to post a photo. Second series Match Target but they'll fit a Woodsman.

Boolit Buddy

Tried posting three pictures but only managed one.

Boolit Buddy

I obviously don't have this figured out yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Golly Gee Whiz david, those real wood grips look better than any of the Coltwood grips I have ever seen.

Wish I still had my Second Model Sport...

Robert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post

I obviously don't have this figured out yet.
    Thanks for hanging in there and getting all three pics posted! Where did you get them?

Boolit Buddy

If I answer honestly will you believe me about my unicorn? I may not have lived up to the true spirit of your post. When I couldn't find any I made them. The S&W 41 grips are the only other thumb rest grips I've made. Being a lefty you do what you have to do. But I have seen them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post

If I answer honestly will you believe me about my unicorn? I may not have lived up to the true spirit of your post. When I couldn't find any I made them. The S&W 41 grips are the only other thumb rest grips I've made. Being a lefty you do what you have to do. But I have seen them.
    SCHWEEEEEEET! Those are beautiful. Did you modify another grip or did you start from a block? Very well done! Maybe this challenge is crying for 3D printing. Not much of a market I guess for a gun that hasn't been made since the 1970s but it's a thought.

Boolit Buddy
    The two thumb rest grips began as blocks. I'm not sure what the current cost is but it use to be that for $18 CALICO hardwoods out of California would send you an 8"X5"X3" (approx) block of pretty nice walnut. I've also made grips for S&W J frame and Ruger Single actions. And I've modified quite a few different grips in some minor ways. If your a lefty you probably know this already. When I shoot a semi auto two handed I stack my thumbs, right thumb on top of left thumb. I also tend to use the top of the grip as a shelf to place my left thumb on. Placing my two thumbs high on the grips puts them right in the way of the extractor and ejection port. Twenty two brass tends to bounce off my thumbs and back into the ejection/loading port causing jams. Not often but more than enough. The thumb rest get my thumbs lower and out of the way. I know absolutely nothing about 3D printing but have been amazed at some of what I've seen printed. I doubt a set of lefty grips for a second series would be out of the question.