Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti down under 45-70

Boolit Buddy

Uberti down under 45-70

Afternoon folks,
    You guys have me hankering for a single shot 45-70. So I read, and read, and it just makes me want one all the more.....
    I am currently working out of town and making the drive home on the weekends. I pass several excellent small gun shops on the way home and will eventually check them all out. At any rate, one that I have stopped in a few times has several single shot 45-70's. A few trap doors that have seen better days and the aforementioned uberti. I like the looks of this rifle and have always liked the looks of the sharps. What can you guys tell me about this particular gun? I know a Shiloh would be the ultimate, but they carry a heavy price tag and a long wait. I can put this one in my hands much faster. The shop wants 1500$ish for it. Is this a decent price? I know I would want to put a tang sight on it, most likely a veneer. Help me out spending my money fellas.

Thanks, Ken
    Last edited by Evoken; 08-15-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Another thought and question. What kind of loads can these handle? My only other 45-70 is a guide gun. Most of my loads are trap door level, but I have a few that I push to tier 2 levels.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    Afternoon folks,
    You guys have me hankering for a single shot 45-70. So I read, and read, and it just makes me want one all the more.....
    I am currently working out of town and making the drive home on the weekends. I pass several excellent small gun shops on the way home and will eventually check them all out. At any rate, one that I have stopped in a few times has several single shot 45-70's. A few trap doors that have seen better days and the aforementioned uberti. I like the looks of this rifle and have always liked the looks of the sharps. What can you guys tell me about this particular gun? I know a Shiloh would be the ultimate, but they carry a heavy price tag and a long wait. I can put this one in my hands much faster. The shop wants 1500$ish for it. Is this a decent price? I know I would want to put a tang sight on it, most likely a veneer. Help me out spending my money fellas.

Thanks, Ken
    You can buy the wire spring for the rolling block with the holding screw for less than $20 and change it yourself. I did it, Simple job. Easy action to work on. Given time, I can come up with man's name who makes the springs.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    You can buy the wire spring for the rolling block with the holding screw for less than $20 and change it yourself. I did it, Simple job. Easy action to work on. Given time, I can come up with man's name who makes the springs.
    I apologize sir, however I am not sure what you are trying to convey. Are you stating that this is an easy rifle to.work on, or that it needs.work out of the box? Not afraid to do the work, but I do.not want to buy a junker.

Boolit Buddy
    The Perdsoli Qiglly Down Under rifle is heavy, mine weighs a little more than 12#. Wood to metal fit is tight and well fitting. How's it shot? To tell the truth i don't know I haven't fired it. I bought it from Cabellas gun library at what I thought was a very good price in the fall added a Malcolm long 6× scope over the winter. The next spring they cut my neck open and cleaned the plaque from my Coratted artery. I stayed away from recoil and haven't revisited the rifle. The one i have is a nice rifle that I shouldn't have neglected and it will see some range time when the weather cools down.
    As to the price check GunBroker and Buffalo Arms, Cimarron arms and Taylor's and see what new and used sell for. Perdsoli in my opinion has the best reputation of the Italian makers, Uberti is probably next. You tend to get what you pay for and sometimes get lucky.
    Have a good time hunting for one.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I have the Pedersoli/Cimaron Down under model, 34",heavy barrel and have shot it a lot lately. I put a Lee Shaver long range seoul type sight, and a Hadley eye cup. I left the silver blade on the front for now. I have been shooting 350, 405 and 500g slugs thru it I make myself. I shot the 405 and 350 with appropriate loads of Unique, with great results, with the peep and with the barrel mounted slide sight as well. I shot it very well with the slide from 225=400yds, with the two lighter bullets. The 500g Postells I loaded with 5744, and it was pretty rough recoil wise, but it shot very good at 100yds, turning in 1.450" group for 5 shots. I stopped with the heavy slugs after that, due to not likeing the recoil. I have since pulled the rest of them and loaded 40 with Unique and will be shooting them in the next few days to see how they do. The only fault I have to the gun, is its weight, but it is super nice to shoot, and shoots on par with any Single shots I have had, including C Sharps. The wood to metal fit on my rifle is perfect, the metal finish is first rate, no complains at all. That sounds like a pretty good price, $1400+ is the cheapest I have seen one.

Hello Evoken,

I have a Uberti 1885 in 45-70, 30" barrel with straight stock, I love it.
    I did shoot a Buffalo with it.
    I planned on using a 405 gr bullet with Clear Shot, this was back in 2002.
    Of course the Clear Shot was no longer available, and that 405 gr bullet was punishing.
    I ended up using a 300 gr Jacketed Flat Nose from Sierra, before they changed them to hollow point.
    Loaded with IMR 30-31, dropped him clean at 114 yds. It was fun, but the 1885 design does kick.
    Of course I enjoy shooting my Ruger #3 in 45-70 also, but have only shot 300 gr bullets from it.

AntiqueSledMan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0858.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	287554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0858.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	287554 my ruger # 3 loves 300 gr hornady bullets with H-4198. both targets shot at 100 yards, my ruger # 1 also likes the same load.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0863 (2).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	287555

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    I apologize sir, however I am not sure what you are trying to convey. Are you stating that this is an easy rifle to.work on, or that it needs.work out of the box? Not afraid to do the work, but I do.not want to buy a junker.
    I too apologize Evoken, I intended to post my advice on the question about trigger work on a rolling block. I have a Pedersoli 45-70 but it came with set triggers. I have never needed to work on the rifle.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I personally find very heavy guns much more to my liking, as long as I'm not shooting them offhand, or packing them around while hunting. I think you'll love the gun, and appreciate the 34" long barrel, and the weight for any shooting off a rest or cross sticks.

Boolit Master

Mine is the Uberti/Cimarron 'Deluxe' model of the '85 Highwall...checkered pistol grip stock and 30" full octagon barrel...and, off hand, can't recall a single negative about the gun. To date, I've only shot smokeless loads duplicating original ballistics and have found that it seems to prefer the NOE 46-500D...a pretty good clone of the '1884 Gov't' boolit...over lighter boolits. As to strength, remember that the Highwall was chambered by factory for, at least, two mid-pressure smokeless rounds; the .32 WCF and the 30-40 Krag so you ought to be good well beyond BP pressures.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    At the very least I will stop and take a better look at it this week. I would like to get into a rifle like this. I am still curious as to what load pressure the sharps clones can take. I know at the end of the day uberti should be able to answer this question. Most of the load books say the browning highwall is in tier 2 load capability, but I dont recall seeing anything about the sharps. I would assume it can handle lever loads because it is not a trapdoor. Which is all most of the load books list for tier 1 loads. Trapdoor, lever, ruger #1; that is how most of my books are labeled for loads. I think the only new book (published within the last 20 years) that I do not have is the lee book. So I certainly have plenty to reference from. I of course do not take internet advice seriously until I can confirm it with reputable sources, however you folks tend to be a reputable group.

Boolit Buddy
    I would also like to start loading black. I currently only use it in my front stuffer and I will need to get a few things before I could load cartridges with it. Based on what I've read here, I can't get enough black in a case to damage a modern firearm.

I have some loads for the guide gun that I would like to try as well. That is why I pose the question of strength. These loads shoot very well in the marlin, but the are terrible in that short, light monster. Of course I would have to start at the beginning for a new rifle, but I know where I want to be if they shoot well.

Boolit Master
    I think Pedersoli addresses the pressure limitations of their Sharps clones on their web site. IIRC, the block and frame can handle any sane modern smokeless loading. The weak point in the 1874 Sharps is the firing pin, which might crack and blow out if a primer lets go in an excessive loading. The back of the business end points right at your aiming eye.

Most modern Sharps clones have smaller firing pin tips and a sliding dovetailed shield at the rear of the block as a safety device, to keep this possibility as remote as possible.

I have seen one Pedersoli Sharps failure at a Quigley Match a few years back. The barrel breech/chamber and the web at the bottom of the receiver were swollen and cracked. The owner had had enough morbid curiosity seekers stop by already; when I asked to see it, and about load details, he told me to move on. Rumor was that it, and the one other blowup with another action design, were from an over enthusiastic or mishandled loading of 5744.

Boolit Grand Master

If you get the Pedersoli I think you will find that your shoulder will define your load limit well before the construction of the gun does! That is absolutely true of the trapdoor and 520gr boolit and 68gr FFG. With that metal buttplate I bought my first PAST pad.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Well unfortunately, no uberti for me. They sold the rifle this week, of course how dare they sell a rifle I was musing about making my own haha. So the search will continue for a single shot 45-70.

This shop does have a few others but none interest me. 1 trap door with a sewer pipe bore. 1 trap door that they think is made of gold. And finally a pedersoli that they want 2700 for. The pedersoli is a very nice looking gun, but it is a very plain Jane model. For a few hundred more I can order a shiloh that is already set up the way I want it. Decisions,decisions although I am in no hurry one will pop up.
    I am having trouble justifying spending 2500-3500 on a range toy, that is for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had four Uberti' s and they kept on breaking, finding parts that fit was almost impossible. The Browning 1885's would be my next choice at about $1,800.00

Boolit Master

My Sharps exposure has come by way of my Dad's interests. . .

Movie mystique aside, I would NOT get one of the straight-wrist stock models if I were seeking a gun for target work. The pistol-gripped styles (i.e. the Long Range Express) will help you manage the front end weight and recoil much better.

I would also suggest you play with some of the other single shot mechanisms - mainly to get a feel for what you like. The act of loading and firing a Sharps - especially one with set triggers and ESPECIALLY one with a floating scope is one of those multi-step processes that I really need to find my inner Zen for. If I'm shooting other things that day, I find the system bit laborious until I get in the zone with them. YMMV
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

No offense to any Sharps '74 owners, but I've never been infatuated with the big side hammers these guns have. I've always preferred the center hung, smaller hammers used on several other single shot designs. The Ballard, Hepburn, Rolling Block, or Winchester 1885 are my preference.
    The 1885 Win. style has been reproduced by many makers, and are still easy to find. And a Browning Traditional Hunter with a Badger barrel is probably one of the best guns around, and can still be found used in excellent condition for around $1800.

Boolit Buddy
    Certainly not hung up on the sharps alone, just that this one was in my grasp. For whatever reason I dont see too many single shot rifles come up around here. With the exception of the break actions, which do not really interest me.
    Now that you fine gents have basically convinced me that I need one in a form or another I will just keep my eyes peeled. I will find the one that speaks to me sooner or later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast