RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: A whole new perspective for me!!

Boolit Master

A whole new perspective for me!!

I never cease to be amazed by the breadth of my hobby.
    I have had a client for years with an obsession for true large bore cartridges (700 NE, 700 NE rimless, 577 Tyrannosaur....) and have always enjoyed visiting with him and shooting his rifles (enjoy is perhaps the wrong word!!!) L. But I just found out that a long time client is waaay off the map in the opposite direction. He noticed that I had a box of 300 PRC brass on my counter that had been shipped to my office and struck up a conversation and an invitation to visit his workshop which houses the most incredible assortment of tiny caliber firearms that I can imagine.
    Everything from reforming 22 Magnum brass into 12 caliber, 30 carbine to 17, historical examples of 2mm cartridges, and on and on!
    His dedication to his craft is amazing, his swaging operation is definitely intense (he did say he had tried casting, but grew tired of watching lead vapor from his barrel). I thought making 6mm Lee Navy or 351 WSL was a challenge until seeing that!!
    My wife rolled her eyes as I told her about the evening - guessing that she's seeing another project in my future.
    I am looking forward to my next visit to this wonderful place!
    Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the tiny cartridges?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I don't have any personal experience with the cartridge, but on a ground squirrel hunt up in Cedarville a couple of years ago I met a hunter that was shooting a 17 caliber wildcat based on the 30 carbine case. This wildcat is called the 17 PeeWee. He said that is was very accurate and had more power than a 17 Hornet. Wildcatting is a step up from regular reloading and involves a lot of extra work. It's something that people have to WANT to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with the cartridge, but on a ground squirrel hunt up in Cedarville a couple of years ago I met a hunter that was shooting a 17 caliber wildcat based on the 30 carbine case. This wildcat is called the 17 PeeWee. He said that is was very accurate and had more power than a 17 Hornet. Wildcatting is a step up from regular reloading and involves a lot of extra work. It's something that people have to WANT to do.
    Wildcat ing can become a obsession it’s something I really enjoy

Boolit Buddy

I don't know if wildcatting is an obsession or an addiction.
    Either way it is fun and enjoyable to me.
    In my case I belive I'm highly addicted.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty or Safety. "
    Benjamin Franklin
    "Time to take Brandon to the train station"
    "The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Boolit Grand Master
    I like wildcatting, sometimes it does make sense and a useful cartridge is developed or used. Sometimes it doesn't make sense.

If you are building a rifle, it really doesn't cost a whole lot more for a wildcat than a standard round, unless you have to have a custom chamber reamer ground to your specs.

In my experience, there are two places a wildcat will cost money: 1. forming and reloading dies, unless you can modify something yourself. and 2. When you sell the rifle, nobody wants to spend the extra cost of a custom chamber.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Someone was showing a 14 caliber rifle at a gun shop i was in many years ago. Finally I got up the courage to ask what a 14 caliber rifle was for. the owner said "Why everyone knows that, it's for shooting cockroaches in the house!"