Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Pickling Vegetables

Boolit Master

Pickling Vegetables

I pickled 5 pints of Dilly Beans and I am working on pickling some garlic.
    I have 3 small jars of garlic ready. I think they are 1/2 pints.
    I use the larger cloves for pickling and grind the smaller ones.
    The jalapenos are about ready to pick so they will be next.
    What veggies are you pickling?

Boolit Master

try making some firecracker carrots if you like pickled hot stuff.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Gypsey Peppers , Jalapeno Peppers and Peperoncini Peppers .

Lots of high heat and rain ...good pepper crop , almost as good as the weed crop ...
    Poison Ivy is thriving .

Pickled Peppers - for each Pint jar
    Fill a sterile pint jar with sliced peppers , pack in tightly as much as possible
    in each jar ... for every pint jar you have mix up
    1 cup good white vinegar
    1 cup water
    1 Tablespoon salt
    1 Tablespoon sugar (white)
    Place in a pot and bring to a boil .

Optional: Add 3-4 cloves peeled garlic and/or slices of Onion to the jars ,
    pickled garlic and pickled onion are good !

Have your sterile jars all packed and ready , bring liquid to a boil and fill all the jars to 1/4" of top
    with the boiling liquid , wipe rim , cap with new lids & screw down bands .
    Let cool (some people invert the jars when cooling ) .
    When cool test lids for seal , sealed jars can be stored in pantry , if a jar doesn't form a seal ,
    put it in refrigerator . Let them age two - three weeks .
    I make up jars to give as christmas gifts .
    You can process jars in water bath canner but I find the peppers get "over cooked" and too soft .
    The vinegar , salt and fast hot pouring of liquid and sterilized jars gives them a long shelf life .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Spicy pickled okra if my okra crop continues. Garlic, mustard seed, red pepper flakes and some fresh dill makes some good eating. Four cups of water, three cups vinegar and a fourth cup of canning salt for your hot brine. I usually use a tablespoon of each for a quart jar and a teaspoon of each for a pint jar. Thank You again gwpercle for the okra seed. The red plants are at least 5 foot tall and and I should get enough to pickle.................Curdog recipe is probably as clear as mud

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    Spicy pickled okra if my okra crop continues. Garlic, mustard seed, red pepper flakes and some fresh dill makes some good eating. Four cups of water, three cups vinegar and a fourth cup of canning salt for your hot brine. I usually use a tablespoon of each for a quart jar and a teaspoon of each for a pint jar. Thank You again gwpercle for the okra seed. The red plants are at least 5 foot tall and and I should get enough to pickle.................Curdog recipe is probably as clear as mud
    That's Awesome ... I would have never believed you get okra to grow that far North , maybe this Climate Global Warming thing is good for something ... gives y'all enough warm days to get a okra crop in . You say the red okra is 5 feet tall ... That's not bad at all .
    I'm going to have to try your pickled okra recipe , I did some last year but the recipe wasn't right , didn't have enough vinegar or salt ... tossed them out , your recipe sounds much better , more vinegar and more salt than mine ... I also like the additions , mustard seed , red pepper flakes and dill ... mine lacked these and it was bland-bland ... Thanks for posting it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Friends grew okra in SW MN a few years ago. Got so much they were having a hard time giving it away.

Boolit Grand Master

Just beets and cukes. Did make A number of pints of salsa.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

I posted in another thread a few days ago that it seems we have gotten some of the rain the west coast needed, wish we could have sent it to y'all. It seems the large amount of rain we had this year affected my garden. It didn't do good at all this year, I have only gotten 4 small red tomatoe's this year. My beans haven't done much better we've gotten enough for eating but not for canning. Nothing has done well this season. Glad y'alls are doing well.

Boolit Buddy

We pickled quite a few pints of green beans, enough for us and to give to special friends.
    Also pickled some jalapenos, and I rarely share those. I pickle them
    We also pickled some cukes, enough for us and also to share with friends. The cucumber plants are almost done producing, it's getting cool at night.
    Next will be candied jalapeno slices, then we're done pickling for this year.

Boolit Master
    Pickled green tomatoes are a good use for those end-of-season tomatoes that will never finish ripening. Easy as pie to make. Cut firm green tomatoes into quarters or so, put enough in the jar that they're snug enough to not float up, add desired seasonings (peppercorns, dill, chopped garlic, pearl onions, maybe a hot pepper or two, etc.), one tablespoon of salt and top off with boiling water and crank down the lid. Wait about ten days or two weeks and you'll have crisp, crunchy and sour accompaniment to whatever the main dish is. They're so acidic that they'll just about pickle themselves, no vinegar needed, just salt. Mason jars which have shoulders are better for this since it's easier to stuff them in to keep them under the brine.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    We pickled quite a few pints of green beans, enough for us and to give to special friends.
    Also pickled some jalapenos, and I rarely share those. I pickle them
    We also pickled some cukes, enough for us and also to share with friends. The cucumber plants are almost done producing, it's getting cool at night.
    Next will be candied jalapeno slices, then we're done pickling for this year.
    Consider posting that "candied Jalapeno slices" recipe ... I think they would be good on a cracker with Pimento Cheese . A local cafe serves crackers , pimento cheese and pepper jelly appetizer , which is good but I'm thinking candied Jalapeno slices would be even better ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post
    Pickled green tomatoes are a good use for those end-of-season tomatoes that will never finish ripening. Easy as pie to make. Cut firm green tomatoes into quarters or so, put enough in the jar that they're snug enough to not float up
    Yes, I love pickled green tomatoes, especially with fried fish. Have a few pints left from a couple of years ago. Will do another batch next year. I love just about any pickled green vegetable.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

I will have to try pickling green tomatoes.
    I always have some at the end of the season.