RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger 77/357 and 77/44?

Moderator Emeritus

For me the concept works but for the cost a contender and a couple of barrels do it even better. 16" barrel from a custom shop and a frame are way under the 77's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Nicely written, Randy, but expecting people to be logical and to use common sense may be expecting too much!
    Wayne: I'd expect that you've seen way too many examples of that in your time in the heads of many.

By definition 50% of the population is below average intelligence. (Bell Curve) I personally find it is closer to 90% and of the 10% that are left only 1-2 % are useful. I find that when looking for someone to do a job for me I spend more time locating a competent person than it takes to actually do the job,,, and it get worse every year. I blame the Teachers Union and their Death Grip on our kids and their insistence on making them stupider every year. Unless this changes soon the US is doomed. What we've got running things right now is going to kill us.

As I said above the hot tip on these guns is a Red Dot Sight. The gun is sighted in 1" high at 50, dead on at 75 and 3" low at 100. Covers 95% of all the shots you need to make with a gun like this. It takes about 3-5 more shots to suss out the holdover at 150 and 200 yards.

The NEGC Aperture Sight is a close second, but I'd go with and XS White Line Front Sight to go with the Peep Sight.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464070.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    I've been shooting my 77 357 three nights this week. The loading is 155 grain h/p keith bullets over 15 G of h110. I am having fun

That rifle sure kicks less than the j frame

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    the 357 mag is fun to shoot and more accurate than people believe .i shoot a win trapper that shoots better than me with my loads, but lead factory loads are awful maybe thats why people think its inaccurate .

Boolit Master
    I had a 44 mag with the wooden stock. It was a pretty little unit! Loved the gun, the fast short bolt throw and all!

The only downer was the accuracy. The rifle would shoot 180’s into about 2” at 100, but as the bullet weight went up, the groups wxpanded as well. All I wanted was a good load with 240’s for a nice little game getter, but groups in the 4”+ was the rule! So I reluctantly sold it! I just REFUSE to own a fire arm that dosent shoot to a logical performance expectation. I was hoping for 2” or better at 100. If I had of gotten 2.5” I would still have it.

My understanding is the twist rate just isn't sufficient to reliably stabilize the standard 240 grain bullets. I still miss that little carbine, but cannot bring myself to buy another in 357 mag for fear of the same issues.

I discovered something yesterday. I had loaded a box of .357 Magnum with the Lee 158 plain base powder coated over 15.0 grains VV N110. That is a compressed load and crimping caused the case mouth to expand about 0.001 more than the Marlin would chamber. I tried the same loads in the 77-357 and they chambered and shot well. Ruger must cut their chambers a bit bigger than Marlin.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123