RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 77/357 and 77/44?

Boolit Master

Ruger 77/357 and 77/44?

I'm finding the concept of these guns rather intriguing.

Anyone have anything to share about them?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    77/357 is really fun.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    There were reports of poor accuracy when I was looking to get one in .357. It was a deal killer for me.
    Don Verna

They are very expensive for what they are. Both could stand to have custom barrels with accuracy chambers. They are both great fun with suppressors attached, firing subsonic loads.

Boolit Master
    Check out the CZ 527 Carbines both full sized and Youth Carbine if you can still find the Youth Carbine. Not a pistol caliber carbine, but accurate and more flexible, single set trigger and often pretty wood which can be refinished to be made beautiful. If using commercial ammo you will suffer high expense feeding a 44 and 357. Upgrading a Ruger will be expensive and then the smith might not be great. 77/357 or 77/44 + new quality barrel installed + chamber work + trigger work + rifle = more than $2000. Something better than the plastic stock means more $. Stuck on a small light pistol caliber carbine then maybe look at a lever action reproduction. Lastly if you decide to modify the Ruger check out the lead times to get a custom barrel and have a smith get to your project.

Boolit Master

I have a friend with a Ruger 77/357.
    He loves it .
    He had to give $1000 for it.
    He shoots everything for light 38 spec wadcutter loads to full power cast loads.
    It likes the full house loads of 296, 2400, 4227 type of slower powders best.

Boolit Master

These Ruger rifles with two piece bolts often show improvement in accuracy by shimming the bolt where they join together. I had a 77/22 Hornet that improved it’s accuracy doing this.

https://www.triggershims.com/ruger_m77.php
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    I have a 77/357, the accuracy greatly improved when I shimmed them bolt so it closes tightly on the cartridge. Depending on what you paid for primers, they can be cheaper to shoot than .22lr at its current price.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    These Ruger rifles with two piece bolts often show improvement in accuracy by shimming the bolt where they join together. I had a 77/22 Hornet that improved it’s accuracy doing this.

https://www.triggershims.com/ruger_m77.php
    Good to know. If I find a M77/.357 at a reasonable price I may go for it.
    Don Verna

Don:
    I have a 77/357 with the bolt shim. It is more accurate than I am from any shooting position save a bench, and I only used that to zero the scope. Handy, light, and you don’t have to chase brass. I like mine a lot.
    Tony

Boolit Master

Good intel on the shims...

Been finding that for a lot of my practice shooting, the primary deer rifles are more than is needed, and that .357 would do quite nicely for 100 yards, thank you. The stainless synthetic and non-lever-action nature of this beast makes it fairly attractive.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

What optics and mounts/ rings are you all using? My rifle is in need of new glass.

358429, mine wears a VX Freedom 1-4x in the Ruger mounts.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I like them, but just can't pay more than a new Henry for a plastic stock bolt action that may have accuracy problems. Would love to see Ruger make the American series in .357, .44, maybe even .30-30!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have a 77/357 and absolutely love it with a sweet old Weaver K3. Shooting 189 gr RF plain base boolits (from an NOE mold) it gets 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards with an MV of 1350 fps using AA-9 powder. In the rainforest (jungles) of my area, anything over 75 yards is a long shot. My purpose for it is as an across-the-yard bear rifle for the medium to small bears that molest my fruit trees every fall as well as a "walking around" varmint rifle in winter. It shoots as well with a gas checked 160 gr SWC at 1700 and 125 gr RF boolits at 1150 fps but that NOE boolit is my favorite. That plastic stock plus stainless barrel and frame is perfect for our climate during the "monsoons" of fall and early winter. The rotary magazine is nice too.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 08-16-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Thank you Anthony that confirms my suspicions that a compact low power scope would be great on my rifle. Ferguson I do not understand why Ruger does not make the American chambered 357 mag they would sell every one they made.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 77/44. Very light and handy. Has a Leupold 4x scope on it. Perfect deer rifle and accurate as necessary to 75 yards. I cast/reload 280 gr FNGC for it and shoot it often.

Surprised at the current price for them.

Don

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Thank you Anthony that confirms my suspicions that a compact low power scope would be great on my rifle. Ferguson I do not understand why Ruger does not make the American chambered 357 mag they would sell every one they made.

Ruger could sell tons of Americans if they would dare to break the mold a little bit. The American Ranch 5.56 sells like mad around here, nobody can keep them in stock. I would love to see an American scout rifle as well.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I love mine. I have the 77/357. It's taken a few deer and anyone can shoot it with 38 special. It's my favorite range toy rifle too. Super cheap to reload for.

I hear alot of "Accuracy Problems" but no mention of what those problems actually are? If a gun like this shoots under 2-3" at 100 yards it is NOT inaccurate and it doesn't have "Accuracy Problems! It's a 100 yard gun with "Acceptable Accuracy" because that's all the cartridge is good for? Unless you tailor a load for it!

Except My other .44's are 200 yard guns because I can actually hit a target at 200 yards with Iron Sights and there is enough power left to actually do something.(knock over a 55 lb. Silhouette Ram) And 2-3" at 100 yards = 4-6" at 200 yards if you can make the shot in the first place.

Brian Pearce did an article on these guns and was getting 1-1 1/2" groups at 75 yards with Iron Sights! And that was with select Handloads in both calibers, not any Factory Ammo.

A small scope might improve on that slightly but really anything more than a Red Dot on a 100 yard gun is pointless. You kind of need to figure out what you are going to use the gun for and if you think you want to shoot Coyotes or Varmints at 300 yards, you missed the point of these guns. And don't talk about your old eyes! Get some new glasses!

They are Powerful (.44 Magnum!) VERY Handy, Short Range Rifles for Hunting in the Woods or Jungle where Plastic and Stainless Steel and "Acceptable Accuracy" are an Asset and Pinpoint Accuracy isn't . They also deliver Superior Velocity, Power and Accuracy over any pistol in that caliber. And they are light enough that you can also carry your Pistol as a back up and share ammo.

The only negative I've seen with these guns is that the Magazine is too short to feed Keith Boolits in Magnum cases. They will feed if you use Special Cases.

I have looked at a 77/44 for several years now and If I moved to a Moist Place I'd get one in a heart beat so my nice Marlin 1894 CB could stay nice and dry.

The idea of buying one of these guns and then changing the barrel and every other part of the gun out in search of Pinpoint Accuracy is beyond my comprehension??? Who does this???.

My .02 on this subject.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast