RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45-70 pet load

I’ve discovered the 500 grain checked Govt bullet with 60 grains of OE 1.5 and lubed with Gato Feo #1. To get it to chamber, I have to load to 2.477 OAL. I know it’s cheating to use a check, but I can get the proverbial 1 hole with 5 shots at 100 yards. I also load a Hoch, 560 grain bore rider under 68 grains of OE, milk carton wad and newspaper disc under the bullet. Problem with that combo is I can’t extract the cartridge without leaving the bullet in the bore. Not a good hunting option.
    Last edited by Castaway; 01-03-2022 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

A soft lead (Range scrap) from a mold 300 grains + chugging along at 1300+ fps will do all I ever need done to a corn crunch.
    If our #50- 52 recurves can take 30+ bean eaters or our lowly cal .58 Zoli can do that many more than a 45-70 is near child's play.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    The 45-70 is a marvellously flexible round.

Boolit Master
    For a pet load, I like three .457 round balls lubed with Lee liquid Alox over 5 grs of Red Dot. The load shoots low from most normal sight settings but it's a bunny buster at 50-60 yds. I'm planning to buy a Henry single shot expressly for this load.

For BP, I used to own a Shiloh and shot it with 55 gr of Goex and a 500 gr Hoch PP boolit, one grease cookie and a cardboard wad.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbouck View Post
    Guys, I am new to Black Powder. I have been reloading centerfire cartridges for a number of years. (I am no expert) I recently purchased, at an auction, a Navy Arms Remington Rolling Block .45-70 32" Heavy Octagon Barrel rear tang target peep sight rifle S/N 4606. Does anyone know anything about this rifle? What can I shoot in it. Any information will be greatly appreciated. If I am on the wrong forum - please let me know. Thanks.
    First of all was this one of the rolling blocks that were built on original Remington actions? Or, was this a reproduction made for/by Navy Arms. I bought one only to find out the Navy Arms barrel was rifled with different depths of rifling, a total mess. BUT it was an original Remington #5 action that became my 45-100.To return to your question of what can I shoot? determine which action you have, photos will be helpful. Then slug the bore to determine actual diameter(s) and evenness of the rifling. Also measure the twist of the rifling. knowing these things you can get a good start on working up a load. Later if you wish a pound cast of the chamber will tell yo much about leade and such. For safety it might be best to stick with black powder.

Enjoy your new endeavor.
    Chill45100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12