MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45-70 pet load

Boolit Bub

.45-70 pet load

The best black powder load for a .4570 ?

My favorite short range target loading for the 45/70 is 45 grains of FFg. To make up space, I use a 1/2 inch of 5/8 diameter backer rod topped with a 405-408 grain cast Lee Hollow based bullet. I lightly crimp. I use pure lead and I use SPG to lube the bullets. Fun at 50-100 yards with an 1884 Springfield "Trapdoor."

Completely depends on the rifle it's going to be fired in.

Boolit Master
    I shoot nothing but full power black powder loads out of my trapdoor, 70gr. black and 405 cast .

Boolit Master
    45 grains of 3f under a 500 grain boolit. Add wads to suit.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Fill the case. As Nobade states, the load absolutely and completely depends on the rifle it will be used in. In ANY CASE, the case MUST be completely filled. No airspace allowed.

What rifle?
    What bullet weight?
    Bore / Groove Diameter?
    Age of Rifle
    Lever Action?
    Trapdoor?
    Falling Block?
    Rolling Block?
    Bolt Action?
    T/C Contender?

Boolit Master
    For my 1873 trapdoor using 405 or 500 grain bullets 65 grains of FF has been the most accurate.

Boolit Mold
    Guys, I am new to Black Powder. I have been reloading centerfire cartridges for a number of years. (I am no expert) I recently purchased, at an auction, a Navy Arms Remington Rolling Block .45-70 32" Heavy Octagon Barrel rear tang target peep sight rifle S/N 4606. Does anyone know anything about this rifle? What can I shoot in it. Any information will be greatly appreciated. If I am on the wrong forum - please let me know. Thanks.

leave room for grease cookies and a nice wad...compresssss! 55 gr Swiss 1 1/2 Fg, mod. emmert lube cookie and nitro card, 405 NOE .458 lubed with mod. emmerts, seat to crimp groove with good compression. Works great in Chiappa 1874 Sharps.

Boolit Master

405 Lee HB with 55 grains ffg. Lubed with spg. Compress the powder with a .060 fiber wad. This load is based on the original carbine load. Shoots great in both carbine and rifle.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Bub
    I load 50 grains of Wano PPP together with a 405 grain bullet.

The bullet is Pb/WW 50/50%.

I like El Gatto, Pb bullet.

Mark

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the OP could do with some reference material. There are several books by Paul Matthews out there, along with books by Mike Venturino and others on loading the BPCR. Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/Loading-Black.../dp/1879356201
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

What type shooting, hunting or target, range ?

Boolit Grand Master

My 45-70 load I think is around 62 grns of 1 1/2 olde ensforde a napa rubber fiber wad .060 2 tracing paper wads and a 535 lyman postell bullet 20-1 emmerts improved or spg lube for around 1200 fps

I work up a load starting at no air space no compression just the drop tube and work up from there in 2 grn increments when the best accuracy at desired velocity is found then at half way points each side of that charge.

Also keep in mind once the powder changes ( brand, granulation even lot number) the load needs to be worked back up.

I also compress with a sie in a separate operation with just the heavy wad for a buffer. the tracing paper wads are to make sure the heavy wad dosnt stick to the bullet base.

Boolit Master

For full power loads you have some great suggestions above. You asked for pet loads so here you go:

NOE makes a great collar button mold. The 460-186. If you don't want to buy the mold Western Bullet makes the bullets for you. I load them over 5 grains of Bullseye. Very light recoil and I was at the range yesterday shooting these little fellas. I was able to hit clays @ 100 yards using this load. The bright orange clays make a good target for my old eyes. I was shooting my 1884 trapdoor.

The second load a fast and easy load. I have a Ruger Old Army. I cast .457 round balls for that pistol. I drop about 8 grains of fffg the case. That is the .5cc Lee dipper. I coat the balls with Alox. Using my ball starter from a muzzle loader I shove the balls down on top of the powder. The rounds look strange because they look empty. Put a mark on your push rod so you get them all pushed down. No need to resize on these rounds. I also don't think you will ever wear the brass out. Shoot them at your steel pistol targets.

I love 45-70 but as I get older I don't enjoy the recoil. These rounds are great fun.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    I load 27 GRS. of 4198, behind a 200 gr, 405 gr, & a 500, cast lead bullet. all of them same load. that is what I have been loading in my 45/70's for 57 yrs. PS I also use this load in all of my 50/70, rifle's & carbines. I am not telling any one else to load them with this load.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    405 Lee HB with 55 grains ffg. Lubed with spg. Compress the powder with a .060 fiber wad. This load is based on the original carbine load. Shoots great in both carbine and rifle.
    I used the same with enough dryer lint for good compression. Was surprised at how stout the compression made the load compared to 50 grains.

Boolit Master
    For my 1886
    7 grains 4227 on the primer + 63 grains FFFg + 45 thou HDPE wad + 335 grain boolit = 1500FPS

For my Italyian Sharps
    63 Grains FFFg + HDPE wad + 535 grain CBE boolit = chugging along but it gets there
    or I might use the 86 load for plinking or we had some fun one time with a case of FFg (about 60 grains I think|) wid a 457 round ball over top + grease over the ball like ya would do with a C&B sixgun - surprised that load was accurate at 50 yards - woulda been zingin along too I guess.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I like to use a grease cookie, so the most of a 2F equivalent powder I can easily load, with compression is 60 grains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast