Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone start a new thread about shooting something?

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    I'm down with the shotgun/skunk cure. Don't think it's ever failed me.

As far as shooting games, I don't like cleaning up the mess that shooting appliances and such makes, and I hate when someone else doesn't clean up their mess.

I prefer a little rock, penny, bug, -- whatever is hard to hit.
    Stretching the distance and taking turns with your buddy or grandkid is about my fav. jd

Attachment 287551
    "I agree...don't make a mess and you don't have to clean it up...I like a good challenge, keep doing the challenge until your satisfied that you have done your best & move on the the next one."

When you fellas run out of Skunks, you might try some shooting challenges...they are lots of fun. Some more demanding than others but all can give it a try.
    Get the boys to post their results here...might make this thread go for months, who knows?
    Everyone likes to look at good shooting...

I have a few suggestions that have gone around recently, we have been playing with the .22lr BR rifles at 50 yards but one member can only shoot his Pellet rifle at home so he reduces the distances to 30 yards...I would imagine that'd still be a lot of fun...especially playing against your Pals here on CB's site.

Here's a few suggestions...'Driving nails with your Tack Driver'
    set up a target like this one, put a warmer spot on it, warm up and then count the number of shots it takes to hit all 10 nails.

'Cutting a Playing Card edgewise'...same deal, warmer spots and count the shots it takes to hit and or split all the cards...
    I didn't have a deck of cards I cared to ruin so I used .010" brass shim stock...same deal.

Hit a penny edgewise...same deal as above...

I put these pennies on this particular card stock so I could use the spots to warm up. Notice the pennies are facing 10º right, my bench is not square to this backstop, try to set them up so all you see is the edge in your scope.
    This series of spots came from another game challenge...'Know your Skills Challenge' from dayattherange.com (you can play challenges there and all the targets are there to download for free.)
    You pick 5 spots you think you can hit, all you get is 5 shots...add your score and post it.

Top left is Know your Skills and bottom right is the 'Hostage Target Challenge'...there's a warmer spot and then when ready, take out all the perps, one shot per hostage & perp and without hitting a hostage...you loose points for that. Add your score & post it. It's more fun and makes the thread more interesting to post pictures of your various challenges with the score on them. Heck...you could even take that picture of the target & score with your rifle you used to do it. Everybody likes to see our shooters and talk about the various things you've done to accurize it.

One of my favorites & toughest challenges is 'The Life Saver Challenge'...super glue 10 life savers to a card, use a spot to warm up and you try to put a shot through the center of a life saver without exploding it...

Take as many warmers as you like but keep this in mind...the hole in a life saver is but .285", you need to shoot squarely at this target, there is not a lot of room for leeway.

This is the latest challenge...'Cut the String'...

I colored this monofilament with a black Magic marker so I could see it from the 50 yd. bench, tied a hex nut to it to keep it still...placed a couple warmers & sighters on the side and went at it.
    Count the number of shots it takes you to cut the string...

I get a big grin playing games like these...practicing everyday with spots & shooting groups gets a bit boring at times...I like the 'gamesmanship' where the boys are always ribbing each other and urging them on.
    At least one or two of these challenges ought to appeal to everyone, give them a try?

charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

They will leak slightly after death but it isn't much?

Yeah the one I shot a few months ago in the Havaheart Trap leaked just a little spot about 2" in dia. and it stunk for 2 months after. I put everything I could think on it and it always came thru. I did shoot it in the head about 7 times with my 10/.22 from about 20 feet which was a little over kill but I wanted to make sure he didn't live long enough to squirt, instead he just leaked!

So far my Wife Barking at them seems to work best. We have to try it on the coons next. Hopefully they will just move it along and problem solved.

I've heard that Tomato Juice neutralizes the Skunk smell? Anyone with experience with that?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1414.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	287557

These propane cans were empty. They have been shot with 22 LR, 223 cast and jacketed, 9mm from our High point carbine , shot at with the new 9mm S&W , and shot with the 277 wolverine we just got. The scrap yard will only take tanks with a hole in them. We like making the cans dance.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    So far my Wife Barking at them seems to work best. We have to try it on the coons next.
    Have you tried her on rabbits yet? Might as well put that skill to work and she could stay in shape at the same time. The only thing my wife barks at is me.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Have you tried her on rabbits yet? Might as well put that skill to work and she could stay in shape at the same time. The only thing my wife barks at is me.
    Now that’s funny right there!

Boolit Master
    My neighbor likes to hunt squirrels with his .22 Marauder. Here’s his latest project, kind of a well thought out enticement for squirrels and his pellet gun.
    Attachment 287577

Food is always fun. Crackers hung with a fishing line, Life-Savers hung with same, those little wax bottles filled with colored sugar water hung by the neck, pop-sickle sticks hung with two strings so you have to cut it in half, drill through some Necco wafers and suspend with line, set up Gummy Bears to execute. Glue Necco Wafers on cardboard, (timed event, shooter vs. clock and or other shooters to see who can clean their wafers off the fastest). Use your imagination, spiral pasta hung from a string breaks nicely... In short any food item that breaks when hit is fun to shoot, plus you can shoot some of the critters that come along for a free meal afterward.

Well, this thread has produced some good ideas. Shooting the Lifesavers and going thru the hole sounds challenging.

Mind you all of this has to be done Offhand. No rests of any kind allowed. Also Iron Sights are preferred.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    They will leak slightly after death but it isn't much?

Yeah the one I shot a few months ago in the Havaheart Trap leaked just a little spot about 2" in dia. and it stunk for 2 months after. I put everything I could think on it and it always came thru. I did shoot it in the head about 7 times with my 10/.22 from about 20 feet which was a little over kill but I wanted to make sure he didn't live long enough to squirt, instead he just leaked!

So far my Wife Barking at them seems to work best. We have to try it on the coons next. Hopefully they will just move it along and problem solved.

I've heard that Tomato Juice neutralizes the Skunk smell? Anyone with experience with that?

Randy
    I have a propane tank hanging over the bench that I shot with a Sam Yang 909s .457 air rifle. It made big happy holes in one side and out the other.

Name:	propone-bottle-holed-by-909s.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	288226

Boolit Mold
    I do specialize in shooting rats in my backyard. I have set up various feed stations from 20-35 yards away. They are backed with either rubber mulch or Duct Seal Compound. I can't have pellets escaping my yard since I have 7 adjoining neighbors. I light the feed station with a red led light powered by 3 AAA rechargeable batteries, and sometimes I put an Arlo Camera in place to record my kills. Usually I am set up with a .25 FX Streamline or a Eunjin Sumatra Carbine fitted with a either an ATN X-sight or an SWFA 10scope or one of the the UTG's I have kicking around. I bait with peanut butter heavily laced with smoked ghost peppers. This keeps the possums from eating all the bait, and the rats love it.

You can usually find my rat killing exploits over at the AirgunGuild. There are a gazillion videos and stills I've posted.

Hope this sparks some rat killing in your neck of the woods.

Name:	IMG_6766.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	662.1 KB 
ID:	288227

Mr W.R. Buchanan " I've heard that Tomato Juice neutralizes the Skunk smell? Anyone with experience with that?" I hear from Oklahoma coon hunters that if your dog is sprayed, just build a fire and cover it with green stuff to make it smoke. Then it takes two guys, they each hold the dogs legs and swing him back and forth through the smoke. It would take some really robust guys to swing me over the smoke. LOL And, yes, tomato juice works it seems.

Go to YouTube & search "long range shooting with air rifle". lottsa fascinating shots at 100 yd plus.

Sample:
    https://youtu.be/xJwwLYZd6Bs
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Moderator Emeritus

A friend was (not so kindly ) asked to seek new housing by his wife, and I assisted (provided the truck/trailer) to enable the move. An old battery operated pendulum wall clock which had been in his daughter's room was not wanted, so I grabbed it. A "good" clock, albeit "100% 1950s style" there was no place for it at my house, so I took it to camp. I cut the bottom out of clock box and electric taped a small dowel to the pendulum -- about 16" long. At the dowel's bottom I used a regular office-type stapler to attach a small airgun target.
    By gum and golly, the target swings back and forth; the clock still keeps time; and it is a hoot to try and get/keep shots in the black! (NOT as easy at it may seem!) I use, generally, either a Crosman 1077 C02 or a Benjamin Marauder. My range is 10 meters.
    Fun!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

An old story.......

“THEY COME AT NIGHT….MOSTLY”

by Larry M. Gibson

That line struck me as odd considering it was noon. I had been watching the bait on the tree the last three mornings and nights. When there would be just enough light to see through the riflescope in the morning. Then again until there wasn’t enough light to see at night. I would give it a full 45 minutes at position in the hide overlooking the bait. I knew they were there. I had seen them, early one morning, and besides the bait kept getting eaten, at night….mostly.

The two I’d seen were young and very skittish. No matter. They were there and that was enough. The unfortunate circumstance was my rifle was down for repair. The parts had been ordered and were on the way. When they arrived the rifle would be repaired and, with the bluff nose bullet, rezeroed. Penetration is a must. The exact distance from the hide to the bait platform was known. Point of impact would match point of aim with certainty. However, this frustrating time of waiting left me with ample time to ponder the situation.

I had done this before, 24 times to be exact. There should be no surprises. Yet thoughts of the many leopard stories from classic books of Africa mingled with thoughts of those times. The sleek silent predator suddenly appearing at the bait. The long tense waits in the hide. Thoughts screaming through your brain so loud you’re sure it will hear. Has it come? Does it know? Can it smell me? Hell, can it sense me? Capstick’s aptly descriptive words written in “DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS” were ringing so true. Then, of course, there was the classic line of the little girl in the movie ALIENS; “They come at night … mostly”.

There should have been no surprises. But dammit, it’s noon! And it’s 80 degrees on a hot, humid, lazy summer day. I’m not even hunting. I just happen to glance at the tree. The movement catches my attention. IT is going up the tree and this one is not young. This one is huge, a trophy. The largest I’ve seen. Definitely the one you write home to Mama about! But I’m 5 yards from the hide and the rifle isn’t loaded, how stupid. All I can do is watch and not move. IT reaches the bait, glances around, so quickly the fangs snatch up a piece of bait! Then with all the described silent smoothness of the great predators IT is down the tree and into the dense undergrowth.

I move quickly to the hide, picking up the rifle and with a quick practiced movement it is loaded. Climbing into the hide a solid shooting position is taken. Good rest with natural point of aim centered on the bait. Extra ammo’s at hand. Riflescope set at 9X. Focus perfect. Safety’s off. Easy on the trigger … remember it’s two-stage. Everything’s set. Well, except for one …. BREATHE stupid!!! Settle down.

Then the thoughts come with the questions you can’t answer. Will IT return? Was that IT’s first trip to the bait or the last? How hungry was IT? Does IT know?. Why now? Just doesn’t make sense. Seems like when you’ve got the answer to the question, they change the question. Try to stop thinking. Can’t. Where… is … IT?

There! Movement in the undergrowth. Yes, that’s IT and how wary IT is. IT does know. I’m still aimed at the bait. Can’t chance moving the rifle for a shot there, IT will see, must wait.

Swiftly IT moves to the base of the tree, hesitates slightly, then with little effort bounds up the backside to the bait. Oh so cautious, IT slinks around between the bait and the feeder then stops on the platform. Crouching low IT stares right at me, no through me! I see the fangs. The twitch of the whiskers. And those eyes. Yes those cold black eyes. They seem to mesmerize me. Magnified at 9X I know … IT knows!

But, too late, the crosshairs have settled quartering the right eye. The first stage is out of the trigger and, at a crisp two pounds of pull, so goes the second. The bluff nose strikes precisely at point of aim. IT is slammed down onto the platform, muscles quivering tensely, tail standing straight up in the air. Quick reload for the insurance shot. Wounded in that undergrowth things could prove difficult to sort out. I settle back for the insurance shot if necessary, it isn’t. IT sags, deflating like the last gasp of a fast leaking party balloon. The tail slowly falls to hang limp over the platform.

I turn, still standing in the bathtub and uncock the RWS M54 air rifle. My wife, from the bedroom, says; “Well, did you get it?” I answer rather nonchalantly; “Of course!” Closing the bathroom window, which makes for a rather convenient hide, I look once more down upon the squirrel feeder nailed to the tree 17 yards away. The large Norwegian Wharf Rat lying there is probably the biggest of the 25 killed yet.

As I approach the feeder to confirm the kill (i.e. throwing said rat over the back fence) I see the .22 cal Crossman Premier pellet hit the right eye precisely. Didn’t even cut fur. I lift it off the feeder, using gloves, and hold it up for my wife to see who has safely stayed upstairs in the house. She yells out the window; “Jeez, that sure is a big sucker!” I agree. It measured 14 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail. I then unceremoniously confirm the kill. There are larger rats for sure, but none in my hunting “concession”… so far.

Yes, “THEY COME AT NIGHT….MOSTLY” but then …. perhaps not!
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-03-2021 at 09:31 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Same here. Everyone gets a pass. I get the !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I remember in guns & ammo back in the early 80’s an article about the backyard sniper with a lawn chair. Used a Beeman target rifle shooting at 9mm brass. Loved the article. Wanted the Beeman badly. I used to buy the little green army men about 3” high and they were my sniper targets at 30-50 yards. Loads of fun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    I remember in guns & ammo back in the early 80’s an article about the backyard sniper with a lawn chair. Used a Beeman target rifle shooting at 9mm brass. Loved the article. Wanted the Beeman badly. I used to buy the little green army men about 3” high and they were my sniper targets at 30-50 yards. Loads of fun!

I preferred to use a large shaving mirror and focus the sun's rays to melt the little buggers.
    The older style concave shaving mirrors were awesome fire starters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I preferred to use a large shaving mirror and focus the sun's rays to melt the little buggers.
    The older style concave shaving mirrors were awesome fire starters.
    I used a magnifying glass on ants.

My Step Bro had a magnifying glass that was 6" in dia and it would pop ants in about 1 second. He would hold it so teh dot on teh ground was consistent and then jsut move the thing around and sweep over the ants just a nihilating them in great numbers. Never felt bad cuz there was plenty more where they came from.

We all live vicariously thru these threads, so don't be afraid to contribute. Thread Drift is welcome!

I really liked the Rat Bait Station! Might have to build one as we have plenty of Rats here, but never get a shot.

My cat gets one every once in a while.

Randy

Boolit Master
    About first light 2 weeks ago I was filling the kettle and heard a commotion in the shrubs above the house. I started in that direction and caught a flash past the door, by the time I got to the window I had missed the (deer?) but saw a very large cat flash past. The light was poor and I couldn't tell if it was bobcat or cougar but it was definitely a cat at attack speed about 25 feet away. The deer are hanging close to the house so the cats are out there. I'm sure I could come up with a story that relates to airguns but is an RWS48 enough?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast