Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone start a new thread about shooting something?

Can someone start a new thread about shooting something?

I haven't gotten to shoot anything meaningful with my Air Rifles lately.

But I sure did enjoy reading about shooting the Iguanas in Florida. That Girl who was making a living shooting them for pest control was something else!.

Can someone please start a thread about shooting something that is interesting?

I really enjoy reading about people doing interesting stuff.

I'm currently in limbo and need entertainment. Please help

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Not with airguns, so it may not count, but back in my redneck days: A buddy and myself used to gather 'cool things to shoot'.

We'd get a old lawnmower started one more time and shoot it with .44Mag to see how far the shattered parts would fly.
    Or see what happened when a junk washing machine full of water and rags was hit with a .50BMG.
    And watch the chunks fly off a car engine when hit with .30AP loaded in a .300WinMag or .50BMG.
    Shooting small propane bottles next to a burning road flare was a hoot too.
    One time, we got several bags of concrete that had hardened over time. We'd turn them into gravel with various ammo.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Randy, go to YouTube and enter Robin Foxer YouTube, and you’ll find hours of entertainment about shooting squirrels, rabbits, rats, pigeons, etc over in Great Britain. These dedicated “hunters” in Great Britain treat hunting small game and vermin like we treat deer hunting (gray squirrels are an invasive species there…they hate them). They go to great lengths to make/buy feeders designed to attract squirrels and then they get in their “hide” (blind to us) and shoot them. In many states here in this country we hunt squirrels and do it for food. Lots of good ideas on how to have some fun shooting and you can end up with a meal besides. Their air guns are much weaker than ours and yet they still make very effective and accurate shots. Over there you need a special permit to use a gun as powerful as ours over here. Check it out.

Boolit Master
    Well I have taken on a project of getting rid of pigeons that have been using the bathroom on some equipment in a old building . I contacted one of my brothers to see if some of his grandchildren had a BB gun I could borrow for the task . At first one came up with a very low power real BB gun that you dump a bunch of BBs in the barrel and rattle it back and fourth when cocking it . I used it for a bit harassing them but they could take several hits and still escape . So I have switched to a single shot pellet gun that take care of the stubborn ones . They catch on after a couple interactions . What can I say I enjoy shooting .......

Boolit Master
    If you've got a few cans of spray paint that will not spray. Shoot 'em. They put on quite a show.

Boolit Master
    U-tube Kirstian Joy Wiess…

Boolit Bub
    It’s not quite the season yet, but I’m getting ready to hunt deer with my .457 Texan SS! Airgun hunting for big game—can’t wait!

Boolit Master
    I have been thinking on shooting a skunk that has been coming around the house at night but I'm afraid if I don't make a quick clean kill that things could get smelly. I have a Benjamin Discovery 22cal but I'm afraid it might not put a skunk down quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    if I don't make a quick clean kill that things could get smelly.

My buddy tagged one in the head with a .380.
    You might have better luck with the Benjamin, but the one he shot,,,,,,,, ahhhh,,,,, 'voided' shall we say.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Skunks are 50/50 no matter what you shoot them with. Head shots or not, you just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    If you've got a few cans of spray paint that will not spray. Shoot 'em. They put on quite a show.
    This, plus expired fire extinguishers.

If the pressure gauge has dropped out of the green on the cheap non-refillable ones, they are prime candidates for a centerfire round through the very bottom.

Did one in June, the cloud covered the backstop completely.

I've bought them on the cheap at garage sales just to whack.

Same way with estate sale partial paint rattle cans.

They're purdy when they get whacked.

Boolit Master
    A 12 gauge with #5's does end a skunk without the mess. Only tried on 3 different skunks though.

Living at the NM Boys Ranch, during June Bug season (Summer) the skunks came out about bedtime to feed on June Bugs under the street lights. All the people were complaining about the smell every night. We left the windows open at night. Someone's dog would envariably jump on a skunk. The campus was approximately 10 acres and had a 14 inch concrete defunct irrigation system that the skunks could live / breed in. Co-worker Mike would call and say "They are out". We met ,me with a light and flat shovel, and him with his shotgun. I didn't mind letting him do all the shooting. We would approach the skunk and "herd" it away from the houses as far as possible all the while using extreme caution. After the shot, we dug a hole in the sand and using the shovel put the skunk in it, then carefully scrape the sand around the spot and put in the hole. Then fill in the hole. On a scale of one to ten the smell would be reduced to around three if we were lucky. I have shot a lot of skunks in my time and only remember clearly one skunk that did not spray. Someone told my girlfriend ( we were thirteen ) that if one would grab a skunk's tail and lift him off the ground that he could not spray. She was actually a rootin tootin redneck cowgirl. Well she did and it did and I could not see her for a week. I always skinned a skunk from head to tail to keep the odor down. Tanning solutions do a good job of negating the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Skunks are 50/50 no matter what you shoot them with. Head shots or not, you just never know.
    Very TRUE and you don't know which end you will end up with LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have been thinking on shooting a skunk that has been coming around the house at night but I'm afraid if I don't make a quick clean kill that things could get smelly. I have a Benjamin Discovery 22cal but I'm afraid it might not put a skunk down quick enough.
    We have a Skunk that has been hanging around our property for the last few weeks. We get a whiff of him occasionally when the front door is open on hot nights. I have thought about shooting him but an experience earlier this year with one I did shoot has stopped me from going ahead.

Last night My wife was at the front door and the Skunk was about 20 feet away from her and she started "Barking" at it.

Jack Russel style barks, and the thing hauled ass right off the property!!! Post Haste! I was impressed!

We have a Automated Rain Bird Sprinkler in the back yard that is Motion Activated. It is keeping the Raccoons at bay so now I guess we'll be Barking at them too!

Almost as good as shooting them but no mess to clean up.

I am basically a dog and I routinely Bark at other Dogs in pickup trucks and cars, and today I bayed at a Redbone Coonhound that was walking with his owner. Got him to go off and start baying back at me from across the street. We had traffic stopped for a minute or so.

I really enjoy doing this.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

if one would grab a skunk's tail and lift him off the ground that he could not spray.

The key here is to not let the skunk lift his tail up. It has to be over their back before they can spray. Skunk Traps are like small Havaheart traps but made from 6" PVC. The skunk goes in, the door closes, and he can't lift his tail up. Thus he can't spray.

I don't know how you get the skunk out of the trap or if it is a one way trip for the trap.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    if one would grab a skunk's tail and lift him off the ground that he could not spray.

The key here is to not let the skunk lift his tail up. It has to be over their back before they can spray. Skunk Traps are like small Havaheart traps but made from 6" PVC. The skunk goes in, the door closes, and he can't lift his tail up. Thus he can't spray.

I don't know how you get the skunk out of the trap or if it is a one way trip for the trap.

Randy
    Most guys I know get them out of the trap by tying a rope to it, dropping it off a bridge into the water for five minutes, and then hauling it back out. They never spray that way.

I've had good luck so far shooting a skunk right at the top of his back. This way I either miss and no harm no foul or
    the spine is severed and he's crippled from there down. Then a follow up shot if needed. Worked so far for several.
    They will leak slightly after death but it isn't much

I'm down with the shotgun/skunk cure. Don't think it's ever failed me.

As far as shooting games, I don't like cleaning up the mess that shooting appliances and such makes, and I hate when someone else doesn't clean up their mess.

I prefer a little rock, penny, bug, -- whatever is hard to hit. Stretching the distance and taking turns with your buddy or grandkid is about my fav. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3713.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	287551
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    I got five last year from my bedroom window with a downloaded 22H and an IR scope. I have a bait station set up 40yds from the window with a string tied to the bait box running to a cow bell just under the bedroom window. I shoot them and quickly go out with a shovel and move them to the pasture and use the backhoe to bury them in the morning. So far I have talked myself out of using the pellet gun as I don't think I can make a 40yd head shot on a skunk that doesn't hold real still. The 45gr Hornet boolit at about 1400fps works well with body shots and they don't seem to leak much if I move them to the pasture quickly.

I did blast one with a 20ga two years ago and he never even twitched but I left him way to close to the house until morning. I won't do that again as he leaked out quite a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast