Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iowa 45-70 ubdate

Boolit Master
    I can squirrel hunt, call coyotes and pop groundhogs with any CF rifle caliber, and have. What I've been told in past years is that the few partakers of those hunts aren't the concern, it is the 100's of thousands of deer hunters on opening day brandishing high power rifles that scares the hebbie jebbies out of the rule makers. Thus, the big, heavy, slow projectiles for all these years. Only they couldn't quite regulate the new and improved offerings coming out every year to stretch the rifle barreled 12 gauge or the inline Muzzleloader's reach across the corn field. As deer hunter numbers have decreased Game Commissions have thought up new ways to keep selling tags and encouraging folks to go afield with the lessoning of these restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    I can squirrel hunt, call coyotes and pop groundhogs with any CF rifle caliber, and have. What I've been told in past years is that the few partakers of those hunts aren't the concern, it is the 100's of thousands of deer hunters on opening day brandishing high power rifles that scares the hebbie jebbies out of the rule makers. Thus, the big, heavy, slow projectiles for all these years. Only they couldn't quite regulate the new and improved offerings coming out every year to stretch the rifle barreled 12 gauge or the inline Muzzleloader's reach across the corn field. As deer hunter numbers have decreased Game Commissions have thought up new ways to keep selling tags and encouraging folks to go afield with the lessoning of these restrictions.
    You so right it all about selling tags and trying to keep the deer amount in check. Also the insurance companies complain about the amount of deer hit with autos and need to pay up on it. One year for the 1st shotgun season it was bad weather and the amount of deer that was harvest was down so they had it that who was not able to fill their permit on the 1st season that they are able to use it for the 2nd season .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I'm happy they did not remove the rifle I have used since they allowed straight walls, 45-70, it just kills. I am amazed the .35 Whelen made the list. If I were a younger man I would put one together using an old sported 98 Mauser I have sitting around. The way it is, what I have works and not sure how much longer I will be hunting.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I was asked to deer hunt Iowa again this year but with a $433 price tag for out of state I’ll pass. I have just as big of deer on my property here in WI. I have a savage 220, NIB gun site scout 450 BM, and 35 Whelen for Iowa. Think I might thin the heard.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    A .358 Winchester is legal but a .338 Federal is not? What is the logic here?
    a a lot of other cartridges base on that case also the 35 Whelen and all its off spring.
    lunacy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12