RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa 45-70 ubdate

Boolit Buddy

Iowa 45-70 ubdate

Looks like Iowa DNR kept the 45-70 and added alot more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210814-084351_Write on PDF.jpg  

Banner Sponsor

I couldn't read your copy, so I grabbed a larger one.
    Looks like they omitted the older 50 cal cartridges. No 50-70 Rolling Blocks for you. Everything else seems reasonable though.
    Last edited by lar45; 08-14-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Looks like they omitted the older 50 cal cartridges. No 50-70 Rolling Blocks for you.
    lar45
    "The following is a partial list ................ Cartridges meeting the criteria defined above are legal whether listed here or not".
    I think your roller would be acceptable.

Banner Sponsor

Read the part about bullet diameter not larger than .500"
    It still leaves them with plenty of options
    Last edited by lar45; 08-15-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Looks like they omitted the older 50 cal cartridges. No 50-70 Rolling Blocks for you. Everything else seems reasonable though.
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    A .358 Winchester is legal but a .338 Federal is not? What is the logic here?
    USMC 6638

I say do not try to understand how they wrote the laws and all . I stick with my muzzle loader early season . I have the rifles and handguns to to hunt those seasons .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    It would be fun to use my custom 35 Whelen to shoot a deer. But I also like early muzzle loader.
    Steve

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    A .358 Winchester is legal but a .338 Federal is not? What is the logic here?
    Because a 338 is not ".350 of an inch", which is the minimum diameter. The logic is that until very recently Iowa (as well as MI, OH, IN and a few other states) was a shotgun slug, handgun of .358"+ or muzzleloading with a minimum of .38" projectile allowable state only. That they finally opened up to Straight Walled cartridges was a huge Paradym shift in their Dept of Nature Resources way of thinking. These are fairly well populated states and having high velocity CF rifle bullets flying was too much for them to accept way back when the regulations were first implemented. Big, heavy, slow chunks of lead or copper that shotgun slugs are made out of drop out of the sky rather quickly and allow those who write the regulations to sleep peacefully at night. Thankfully, FINALLY, for those of us restricted to slug only have been freed up to use rifles in various forms with straight wall pistol calibers, along with various other straight wall cartridges, namely the 45/70, as a huge plus. That fact that Iowa went so far to include the 35 Whelen and a few other bottleneck rounds is even more encouraging. Wish Ohio would allow this, but I understand why they don't and am happy for the win and use my 45/70 with much satisfaction, with hand casted boolets at that.

I love to hunt where my bottleneck CF rifles are welcomed, but that isn't where I reside and make due with what I can use happily.

So bottle neck cases are allowed.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post
    Because a 338 is not ".350 of an inch", which is the minimum diameter. The logic is that until very recently Iowa (as well as MI, OH, IN and a few other states) was a shotgun slug, handgun of .358"+ or muzzleloading with a minimum of .38" projectile allowable state only. That they finally opened up to Straight Walled cartridges was a huge Paradym shift in their Dept of Nature Resources way of thinking. These are fairly well populated states and having high velocity CF rifle bullets flying was too much for them to accept way back when the regulations were first implemented. Big, heavy, slow chunks of lead or copper that shotgun slugs are made out of drop out of the sky rather quickly and allow those who write the regulations to sleep peacefully at night. Thankfully, FINALLY, for those of us restricted to slug only have been freed up to use rifles in various forms with straight wall pistol calibers, along with various other straight wall cartridges, namely the 45/70, as a huge plus. That fact that Iowa went so far to include the 35 Whelen and a few other bottleneck rounds is even more encouraging. Wish Ohio would allow this, but I understand why they don't and am happy for the win and use my 45/70 with much satisfaction, with hand casted boolets at that.

I love to hunt where my bottleneck CF rifles are welcomed, but that isn't where I reside and make due with what I can use happily.
    I get that. But that was not my point. My point is that there is no logic here. You explained it beautifully.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy

Cool

I get that. But that was not my point. My point is that there is no logic here...
    Again, your “point” isn’t clear - does here mean the regulations, the Iowa board of game, this forum or what? Regardless, by limiting handgun bullet diameter to 0.350” they disallow the .32 H&R, .30 Mauser, 25 ACP etc. Seems to be good “logic” there (or here, whatever).

Boolit Grand Master
    Not that I'm headed your way, but no .38-55. Whaaaaat?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherO View Post

Thank you for explaining on how they made up the law on this I did not know .

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Not that I'm headed your way, but no .38-55. Whaaaaat?
    The way the law is wrote is that if the bullet is .350 to .500 and have 500 foot pounds or more can be use , if the .38-55 meet that you can use it .

Boolit Master
    I wrote to the head of the ODND (Ohio's Dept of Natural Resources) well over 20 years ago, asking for regulation changes to allow pistol cartridges in rifles to be used to hunt deer. I was told that would not be a consideration for the ODNR to pursue. After many years of Shotgun slug development and Muzzleloaders using pistol bullets in sabots at much higher velocity without additional danger in the field it is a great boon for our type of states to adapt these straight wall regulations. Glad Iowa has progressed as far as they have. It will take a while for guys to completely understand how this works, but once figured out they will adapt quickly. Enjoy the new found freedom to use that particular rifle you've always wanted to tote to the woods.

Boolit Master
    The fact that .45/70 is allowed is golden. I've put more pounds of meat in the freezer using this round than any other. Only killed the first deer with factory jacketed because I had just got the rifle, deer season was open and my mold hadn't got in. That was 1976 and another jacketed has never been down the bore.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd be plum tickled with the .358 Win.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    Again, your “point” isn’t clear - does here mean the regulations, the Iowa board of game, this forum or what? Regardless, by limiting handgun bullet diameter to 0.350” they disallow the .32 H&R, .30 Mauser, 25 ACP etc. Seems to be good “logic” there (or here, whatever).
    “Here” in my statement means the Iowa regulations and the people that made them. I’ve been to Iowa (and Ohio, for that matter) and it is no more densely populated than Texas, where we use the .243 Winchester (for instance) and all manner of other legal cartridges. Their reasoning behind restricting deer hunters to shotgun slugs from smoothbore barrels, which has now been changed to some other arbitrary standard, escapes me. In my example above the .358 Winchester and .338 Federal were chosen to illustrate the absurdity of the “rule”. I am certainly happy that the .358 Winchester is now allowed. It is apparently a great deer cartridge used successfully by many hunters. As for pistols/revolvers .350” is an adequate standard but should not, to my way of thinking, have any bearing on rifle cartridges.

I am not attempting to be argumentative or insulting in any way. If you or anyone else took my statement to mean that, then I am sorry. Please just ignore it.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Well, with the 35 whelen along with a 180 grain bullet that travels 2950 FPS plus out of the muzzle they might as well not have any firearm stipulations. I’ll definitely be using my 35 Whelen 7600 pump this year if I hunt Iowa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast