Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would be better off hand lubing with crisco.

Wink I would be better off hand lubing with crisco.

Found out I did not have a 7mm die for my lubrisizer, so being impatient i "pan lubed" a batch of 135 grain Thor 7mms. Single lube groove....lube was thick pan was cold lube is to brittle ...basicly everything about the process is a PITA. Guess I will smash some lube in the groove with my fingers when I load them because this crap does Not stick to the bullets and by the time I get them out of the cutter it has all been for naught. Frustrating night to say the least. All I am trying to do is get something to shoot out of my new gun, aint a 7mm bullet to be had planet wide. So hundreds of dollars later I am "saving money" and wasting my life.

It's a learning curve for sure.

I'd encourage you not to give up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Aint my first go round, been pan luring cap and ball revolvers loads for years. Also all of my pistol calibers... just really unimpressed with this batch of lube.

Boolit Master

I panlubed my first year before i got a lubersizer. There is a happy zone. Bens Red worked quite well.

I would wait for the wife to leave or send her off on errand... lol i would send her off to the hardware store for a an odd size socket. I was guaranteed she would he gone for a couple hours.

I would drop the new bullets in the old holes. Slap the mess in the oven and walk away. Once the lube remelted it flowed and i would turn the oven off. Let it stiffen. Then pop them in fridge to fully set. I could get a couple trays done beforw she got home. Once i finnished i would lifht sone incense or make ginger bread cookies. She was never the wiser.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Tumble lube! "BLL"

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Ok, I want to say that I am not Badmouthing any particular lube recipe or anything like that, mostly this is a comment on my frustration on half arsing and being impatient. i have created a mess and Caused my self a lot more work than i needed too. it is coming together and things will improve... but Dang if i don't find every conceivable way to screw up getting there

With 3 lube sizers bolted in a line,and can make sizing dies from "scratch".....

I still hand lube all the rifle bullets. Use a very small pen knife,lube is kept in old Kiwi shoe polish tins. Just don't see this process changing. Am only "sizing" the lowest,GC part of bullet in the Lyman 450's. For the most part,the body is left untouched. The bore ride sections get attention,but even these..... some noses are "spun" in reforming dies. These are lubed by chunking the nose into well firmed up LLA(most of the mineral spirits well evaporated) that has some graphite sprinkled in. Takes longer to type,than do. Still not an "automatic" or,progressive procedure. Some noses bumped,some swaged down,"dry".

Each rig/mould has specific requirements,pulling handles,kerchunking a finished boolit with every pull just dosen't happen here with rifle fodder. Handguns? Heck yeah.

Banner Sponsor

This works for me if I need to pan lube something odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6VknyUHcFI

Turns out that pitching the "cake cutter" and just freezing my pan and popping the bullets out with my thumb has worked really well.

Boolit Master

Soft lube works Way better then hard lube, especially when pan lubing.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Anyother good method is just take the lube and roll into a crayon or snake shape. The smear it into the grooves and run it through a lee sizer die.

Kind of gunks up the sizer die after a while though

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    Ok, I want to say that I am not Badmouthing any particular lube recipe or anything like that, mostly this is a comment on my frustration on half arsing and being impatient. i have created a mess and Caused my self a lot more work than i needed too. it is coming together and things will improve... but Dang if i don't find every conceivable way to screw up getting there
    Yup. I have days when pan-lubing was perfect without a hitch and other days when it only needed one thing to go wrong... and then everything else went wrong.
    God invented coffee for mornings and whiskey for the evening.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    Found out I did not have a 7mm die for my lubrisizer, so being impatient i "pan lubed" a batch of 135 grain Thor 7mms. Single lube groove....lube was thick pan was cold lube is to brittle ...basicly everything about the process is a PITA. Guess I will smash some lube in the groove with my fingers when I load them because this crap does Not stick to the bullets and by the time I get them out of the cutter it has all been for naught. Frustrating night to say the least. All I am trying to do is get something to shoot out of my new gun, aint a 7mm bullet to be had planet wide. So hundreds of dollars later I am "saving money" and wasting my life.
    Pan Lubing ... mess and failure , I got lube on me the table , the floor and the dog ... none stayed in the lube groove ...is what prompted to drive to local dealer and buy a Lyman 450 lube/sizer and a stick of that black Ideal lube ... best money I ever spent .
    Do you know how hard it is to get all the lube off the wife's linoleum floor ?
    She was HOT ... me and the dog bunked together for a whole week !
    Funny thing ... the dog wasn't upset about me spilling lube on him !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I tried the pan lube thing once but it was more mess than I could stand. With the current lube sizers or even Lee lube, I don't see a reason to pan lube boolits. With the Star lube sizer I can put lube only where I want. I make my own dies so I can have dies any size I want when ever I need them.

Boolit Master
    Maybe you could ask here to borrow a sizer die ??? There are so many good folks here and most are willing to help out a brother caster/ reloader.
    Not sure what Luber you have or size die you need but worth a try. I’ve never pan lubed and already know that I never will.

Mike

I tried pan lubing and I could not get the hang of it . Had a few occasions it worked , but most attempts were less than successful.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

My experience with pan lubing and Ben's Red was a week of cleaning to get things back to where they were.

Won't go back there again.

On the other hand.

In a stainless steel bowl you can use a heat gun, warm the boolits up. Drop in a lump of lube, your choice. Swirl

When you have swirled long enough most of the lube will be either on the pan, or in the grooves.

At that point I like to lock it into place with a shot of Ben's Liquid Lube + Carnuba wax.

Does not take much. Couple of light coats seals the lube in the grooves and leaves boolits unsticky.

Beats the heck out of pan lubing IMO.
    Lots less messy.

Final step spill them into a cardboard flat and set in front of a small fan for half an hour.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    What was the lube being used? A homemade recipe or commercial? If it’s too hard for pan lubing, it may not be easy to finger lube with.

Boolit Master

are the bullets sized already?

This is why it's nice to have a push thru size die on hand.. lee are cheap.. but work.

For pan lubing.. I've found that hot lube and warm bullets and time make the best results. If your lube is too hard and too much MC wax and won't stick, clean the bullets with a solvent like naptha or laq thinner.. etc. then tumble lube with very very thin alox.. thin the alox with something that flashes super fast.. again.. naptha. once cured.. you can lube them with just about anything and they will stick.

Problems with pan lubing stem from the lube and operator, not the pan.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast