Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracked corn for casecleaning ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I notice that the cracked corn cleans out the chickens & turkeys quite well.
    Straight walled brass with the primer still in might do OK.

I figure it'll do like the one and only time I used rice on a batch of .223s.
    It more nearly constipated them.
    But I did get to spend some quality time picking it all out with a flash hole de-burring tool that would reach up into them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I will stick with a teaspoon of lemeshine and ss pins with a teaspoon of dawn dish soap, in water and tumble,
    cleans and polishes, wash and dry >

Boolit Master

If you do decide to try or use cracked corn do NOT let it get wet. it will swell up and cause problems. I know this sound crazy but soybeans are 10 times more abrasive than corn in any form. I have replaced soybean pipe and elbow liners 5 times more than corn pipes and elbows. Have worked in grain elevators for the last 26 years.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    grain dust is explosive, not sure how explosive corn dust is but wheat dust is extremely explosive.
    Cracked corn is several magnitudes of size larger than corn dust. Depending on the device used, it will be 1/2 kernel size and smaller.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I use ground up walnuts for clean the brass at first before I do anything to the brass and then after sized and deprimed I use ground up corn cobs that I had a farmer do for me some years ago from the cobs that when my brother had grew some pop corn , and run the brass in that and takes the case lube off and shine up the brass , the thing is with for how the cobs was ground up in the feed mill , need to clean out the cases of bottlenecks. but works for me and yes I am cheap also. I got the ground up walnut hulls many years ago and lasting me all this time .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I also use the ground walnut shells from the pet store with a bit of new finish car polish. Lots cheaper than buying the commercial tumbling media and likely the same stuff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Not sure exactly where to post this question.. But , has any one ever used cracked corn , as in chicken feed, to tumble or vibrate their brass? Since it is readily available here for $7.63 per 50 lb bag. Are there any negatives about using this for case cleaning?
    Sounds good... I've used rice. Works great.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought a double rock timber from harbor freight for around $40 a few years back and bought some stainless tumbling pins. Don’t ever have to buy pins again unless you loose them. They even clean inside the cases and primer pockets. Picked up another double tumbler NIB from a thrift store for $12 so I have 2 running at the same time if needed. I use to use a vibratory tumbler. Also made a big mess and dust everywhere. I also had media packed in all my primer pockets! What a pain.

Boolit Master

old dry coffee grounds work also. they take awhile, and the caes are dusty, but it does work

Boolit Bub
    Howdy Pards

Hmmm … I prefer to use cracked corn to feed wild birds. They must like it. Never had a complaint.

I too find that ground corn cobs (i.e. hamster bedding) is both cheap and very effective at polishing brass.

To be more exact, I use it as the first step in brass polishing, especially for really tarnished brass. A buddy once gave me some rescued 1X-fired 45 brass that had lain in desert sand long enough to tarnish to a distinct tobacco brown. Looked like “H” but was otherwise in excellent shape. I wore out a batch of corn-cob media to bring those to a decent appearance. Worth it!

Then, a session in commercial tumbling media with polish additive put a beautiful shine on them. Not as pretty as new, unfired brass but great looking nonetheless. Often, particularly with just-fired brass, the hamster bedding gives a very sufficient treatment all by itself.

Keep on the sunny side

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

Boolit Master
    Wet wash with SS pins, dry, then into the corncobs, I still check all flash holes.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    old dry coffee grounds work also. they take awhile, and the caes are dusty, but it does work
    They tend to mold

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    You can use dryer sheet to help with the dust. Just use the cheap ones out there. I use it on when I use ground walnut shells . You can also use it on the corn cobs too. Yes about the to check the primer pockets when use corn cobs , as check the inside of the cases for corn cobs.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I didn’t see anyone say that they tried it. I accidentally picked up a bag of cracked corn that was stacked up with the rabbit feed at the mill which means I way overpaid for corn. My quail won’t eat it so it’s been sitting around. I’m going to have to put a batch in a vibrating tumbler tonight and let it run.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Silly rabbit! Cracked corn is for makin' corn licker. Corn cob (not from the outbuilding, mind you!) is for cleanin' brass!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12