RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Looking for a cable guard for a bear whitetail bow

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Looking for a cable guard for a bear whitetail bow

I picked an old 77’/79’ era Bear whitetail bow up from the Salvation Army for $9.99 the other day. I accidentally cut the string checking knock height so I have a new string on order. I’ll have to figure out how to replace it when it arrives. My first bow was a bear black bear. I bought it new around 81’ or so with my paper route money. Green camo and weight set at 40 to 50 pound increments. I am on the look out for one of those to. I figured out if I remove the cables off the weight adjusters it easily pulls back. The weight is with the adjustment cables removed is around 40 pounds. Perfect for carp shooting all day…which is why I bought it. I have an original Bear fish reel but think I will upgrade it to a zebco 808. Just need a attachment to mount the reel on and find sone braided line for it. I had a pile of Bear branded accessories but set up a few bows for friends over the years giving all the stuff away. I had to sponge paint it the other day. I couldn’t get use to the Charlie Brown paint job. It was originally brown metal flake. I need to find a an original cable guard that screws in the front so I can pull the cable back out of the way. Otherwise they almost line up with the bow string. Anyone have one laying around? I have a buddy who is looking for a whisker biscuit he thinks he has laying around. I do have a stock on style original type arrow rest worse cases scenario.

After my paint job…

All I had laying around for spray paint was black, grey, blaze orange, and neon yellow. They made shades of green believe it or not when all mixed together.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-13-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't believe a cable guard is required for those bows. Check the many pictures of it online and not one has a cable guard. But it also looks like your cables are mounted wrong as they should only cross once in the middle. That could be what is causing the interference with the string. I also saw a post where someone asked about adjusting the weight and it was pointed out that his cables were also mounted wrong. You may be able to get the correct cable placement from some of the online pictures.

A cable guard never was offered or required with the whitetail. A am going to leave the cables off the pulleys because the pull weight drops to 40 pounds. It makes it very easy to pull back for all day carp shooting that way. A cable guard will move the cables out of my arrows path.

I fabricated a turkey decoy stake and a barrel lock latch to make a cable bar today. It does flex when I draw which will affect my accuracy since it’s connected to my sight pins. Guess I’ll give it a try.

It already bent and broke off. My carp arrow doesn’t tough the cables with out a cable guard so I will shoot it without one.